England

Old February 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Che' Che'

Default England

My sister is in the Air Force and will be stationed in England for the
next 2 years. I am eager to visit her...however I know it is rather
expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to making the trip more
economical for me. Maybe a cheaper season, cheap restaurants, etc.

Old February 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

"Che' Che'" wrote:

My sister is in the Air Force and will be stationed in England for the
next 2 years. I am eager to visit her...however I know it is rather
expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to making the trip more
economical for me. Maybe a cheaper season, cheap restaurants, etc.

Assuming you will be traveling from the US, it's not really that
expensive, unless you want to fly during the peak season. Here are some
things to try:

- If you are flexible in when you travel, many airline or web booking
sites have an option that allows you to search for the least expensive
fare over the period of a month or more.

- Check the vacation packages offered by the airlines and web booking
sites. They often include both airfare and hotel, and perhaps a rental
car, at a total price that is barely more than the airfare alone.

- Stay in bed and breakfast places, rather than hotel chains. While
providing basic accommodation, they tend to be much cheaper than hotels
in Europe.

- Try to get advanced-purchase train tickets if you want to travel any
distance from the airport. Like advance-purchase airline tickets, they
will be much cheaper.

- Don't rent a car, unless you really need one. They are expensive, and
the fuel is really expensive.
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"Che' Che'" wrote:

My sister is in the Air Force and will be stationed in England for the
next 2 years. I am eager to visit her...however I know it is rather
expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to making the trip more
economical for me. Maybe a cheaper season, cheap restaurants, etc.

England's a large place - could you be more specific?

I've had just a good a time in the off season in England as mid summer, that
will save you some money on airfare. Unfortunately, the exchange rate right now
is the worst it's been in 20+ years. At almost $2 to the Pound, even eating at
McDonalds will set you back.

That said, you should be able to do OK by staying out of London and using B&Bs
for room & board. Trains will get you almost everywhere you need to go, even if
they are more expensive & crowded these days.
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark Hewitt

"Che' Che'" wrote in message
ups.com...
My sister is in the Air Force and will be stationed in England for the
next 2 years. I am eager to visit her...however I know it is rather
expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to making the trip more
economical for me. Maybe a cheaper season, cheap restaurants, etc.

Cheaper season? England is a year round place, so that won't work
If you are talking about flights, then it depends where you are flying from?
e.g. From France, seasons make little or no difference. From USA then the
costs can vary massively, usually the depths of winter (about now in fact)
are cheapest.

'England' isn't rather expensive, it's just that most Americans only visit
London, which *is* very expensive, my tip, keep away from London!

There are plenty of cheap resaurants, if you want cheap hotels try
http://www.travelodge.co.uk and search for the cheap rates.

It would help to know where in England you intend to go, it's a big place
(ish)

Old February 21st, 2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark Hewitt

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..

- Don't rent a car, unless you really need one. They are expensive, and
the fuel is really expensive.

Walk up fares on trains are very expensive too. Booking in advance is the
only way to go there. But if you are on a super tight budget then going by
bus is a good option. Companies like MegaBus do super cheap deals, the
travel itself is hell on wheels, but who cares for £1.50