Train question for Sweden / December Travel

Old December 1st, 2003, 07:11 PM
Dave J.

Default Train question for Sweden / December Travel

Hello,

I'll be with my party of three in Gothenburg on December 21, and I
want to take the train to Stockholm on the morning of the 23rd of
December.

The last time I was in Stockholm (August) I bought my train tickets in
advance in the USA, and was very disappointed that I spent so much
more than what they would have cost in Sweden. (There was a family
discount that I was unaware of on this side of the water).

What will train travel be like so close to Christmas? Do you think
that we will need a reservation for the train at that time, or can I
buy tickets just a couple of days in advance when I land in
Gothenburg?

thanks! Dave
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
jt

How about the availability and cost of express bus? I
also ran into such problems with Swedish trains, and was
thinking of using bus more (tried one comfy bus there).
Old December 3rd, 2003, 06:16 AM
Bjorn Olsson

(jt) wrote in message . com...
How about the availability and cost of express bus? I
also ran into such problems with Swedish trains, and was
thinking of using bus more (tried one comfy bus there).

The main bus company is called Swebus. The ride takes 6-7 hours and
seems to cost 360 SEK. Comfy, yes, but you are stuck in your seat for
a number of hours, unlike in the train where you can always get up and
move around. There seems to be more or less one departure per hour.

You can use this web site to check their schedules:

http://www.swebusexpress.se/

There's a little flag (Union Jack) for the english version, but you
can also easily use the search function on the main page although its
in swedish: Just choose Goteborg under (1), Stockholm under (2), 23rd
december under (3) and press the button under (4).

They "guarantee passenger arrival without seat reservations", so at
least in theory you can always show up just before departure relying
on them to get to your destination. I don't know how well that works
in practice on 23rd december.

Bjorn
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:49 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Nathaniel Riesenberg" skrev i meddelandet
m...
(Dave J.) wrote in message

. com...
Generally the trains between Stockholm and Goteborg(=Gothenberg) are
X2 type trains(for which a reservation is required.)

There are also loco-hauled trains every second hour, you may travel them
without a reservation (obokad=unbooked) but it's not unlikely you'll be
standing the whole trip on Dec 23.

The following site
http://www.eurorailways.com, has a railroad
schedule area, you can find exact times for your trip.

Think
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en is a little more convenient
for schedules.
You can also try to navigate http://www.sj.se/node/0,4452,3378_1,FF.html

Old December 17th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Tommy Petersson

(Bjorn Olsson) wrote in
om:

Very slim chances. You wouldd risk being stuck in Gothenburg.

Bjorn

A fate worse than death.