West Papua, I look for info about dangerousness.

Old November 16th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Adriano

Default West Papua, I look for info about dangerousness.

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
Can you tell me which Dani or Lani village have you visited?
I'd like to film the traditions of a preserved village.
I know Tiom is a very goog village, do you know it?
I will go alone, can you tell me if logistically is it possible?
Will I succeed in Wamena in looking for a trusted guide easily?
Can you recommend me a trusted guide?
I know that there are high costs in Wamena valley.
Can you tell me how much will 7-8 days cost?
Thanks very much Adriano

I was there on a small group tour in 1997. We hiked to some of the
villages from Wamena sleeping mostly on floors in native huts. The
company I went with curtailed these trips after some uprisings and riots.
Our local guide was sentenced to prison in Wamena for 10 years for
speaking against the Indonesian government, but a few companies still do
small group tours there.Not sure how safe it would be to go on your
own...would depend on political situation at the time. The villagers
themselves are very sweet, kind people. A fascinating area, but the Asmat
area in the swamps and Korawai tree houses in the jungle are also very
much worth visiting . It was not an easy trip, but one I will never
forget.

Adriano wrote:

Hi,
I'm a solitary traveller and I'd like to reach Wamena in West Papua
and to visit some villages around Wamena (with a good local guide).
Will it be dangerous?
Do you know a good local guide in Wamena? Can I contact him by email?
Thanks very much,

bye Adriano