Carrying driver's licenses across states?

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Default Carrying driver's licenses across states?

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

I keep on hearing unsubstantiated and contradictory information about
using a valid driver's license across the USA. My DL was issued in
Massachusetts and will expire in 2009. In the last 2 years I have
driven about 70K+ miles, across some 30 states, and now I have a
postal address in Texas.

I am told told by a friend, a TX resident, that my MA driver's license
(same as foreign country licenses) is only good for 30 days. However,
cops have seen my license and didn't have any problem with it.

As long as you are a resident of Massachusetts your licence is valid. The
time limit is for those who move. Once you become a resident of another
state you have a limited time to get a licence from that state.

§ 521.030. RECIPROCAL LICENSE. (a) A nonresident who is
18 years of age or older and who has in the person's possession a
license issued to the person by the person's state or country of
residence that is similar to a Class A or Class B driver's license
issued under this chapter is not required to hold a Class A or Class
B driver's license issued under this chapter if that state or
country of residence recognizes such a license issued by this state
and exempts the holder from securing a license issued by the state
or foreign country.
(b) A nonresident who is 16 years of age or older and who has
in the person's possession a driver's license issued to the person
by the person's state or Canadian province of residence may operate
a type of motor vehicle that is permitted to be operated with a
Class C or Class M driver's license in this state if the license
held by the nonresident permits operation of that type of vehicle in
the person's state or province of residence.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes...htm#521.030.00

Another version that I find hard to believe: my friend says that TX
accepts licenses only from states or countries which accepts TX-issued
DLs. I didn't know that reciprocity applied here. Since when is TX in
the business of making international reciprocity agreements? That is a
federal issue. I claim that the driver's licenses issued by any US
state can be used in all US states, with no need for bilateral
negotiations.

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

My DL was issued in Massachusetts ...
I have a postal address in Texas.

On your federal tax forms do you use an address in Texas or in Mass.?

James

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ramon F Herrera

On Jun 19, 11:40 am, jdoe wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:25:43 -0700, Ramon F Herrera

wrote:

[...]

-Ramon

you are having trouble grasping the plainly
written laws that apply
in just about every state.

Nope. You are the one having trouble grasping my plainly written
question.

most states give you 30 days

Thirty days beginning WHEN?

In the last 2 years I have driven 70k+ miles, I have entered and
exited Texas many times. I have been staying at the homes of friends
in Austin, Dallas and Houston, plus hotels. I live on the American
roads.

The 30 day chronometer is very clearly understood. But the plainly
written question remains:

When do I/they press the "start" button?

In math terms: "30 plus indefinite = indefinite".

-Ramon

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

wrote:

[...]

Thirty days from your nominal move into the state to take up
residence.

In the last 2 years I have driven 70k+ miles, I have entered and
exited Texas many times. I have been staying at the homes of friends
in Austin, Dallas and Houston, plus hotels. I live on the American
roads.

It doesn't sound like you are a Texas resident, so there's no
requirement to get a Texas DL and plates.

The 30 day chronometer is very clearly understood. But the plainly
written question remains:

When do I/they press the "start" button?

In math terms: "30 plus indefinite = indefinite".

If you didn't take up residence in Texas there's not clock to
start.

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ramon F Herrera

On Jun 19, 10:25 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
[...]

Thanks to everybody for their answers. At this point I am arguing just
for the sake of argument, as I decided to become a TX resident, and I
already have the paperwork.

I have the Texas Drivers Handbook in front of me and it says:

"Who may operate a motor vehicle in Texas?
(9) New residents who are properly licensed have 30 days after entry
into the state to secure a Texas driver license".

So, as Clinton would say: "it depends of what the meaning of 'is' is".

The question is: what do they mean by "after entry"? Is that the first
entry, the last entry? If I enter one day, and leave, coming back 3
weeks later, does the 30 day chronometer get reset?

Anyway, I'll just get the license since I have been spending longer
time around the Lone Star.

Thanks again,

-Ramon

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:23:30 -0700, Ramon F Herrera
wrote:

Thanks to everybody for their answers. At this point I am arguing just
for the sake of argument, as I decided to become a TX resident, and I
already have the paperwork.

I have the Texas Drivers Handbook in front of me and it says:

"Who may operate a motor vehicle in Texas?
(9) New residents who are properly licensed have 30 days after entry
into the state to secure a Texas driver license".

So, as Clinton would say: "it depends of what the meaning of 'is' is".

The question is: what do they mean by "after entry"? Is that the first
entry, the last entry? If I enter one day, and leave, coming back 3
weeks later, does the 30 day chronometer get reset?

Philosophically, and for some purposes, legally, one becomes a
resident the moment one says to oneself, "Hey. I like it here. I
think I'll stay." When I moved to Arizona forty years ago I had
need to become a resident for university tuition purposes so I
asked an attorney about it. (Although that's not necessarily
enough for resident tuition purposes.)

At that point, the clock begins to toll. Of course, no police
officer will know when you said that to yourself, so until you
take more concrete steps, like renting an aartment, taking a job,
buying a house, or whatnot, you're OK with your old license.

Anyway, I'll just get the license since I have been spending longer
time around the Lone Star.

Check the car insurance premiums before you do anything drastic.

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

Thanks to everybody for their answers. At this point I am arguing just
for the sake of argument, as I decided to become a TX resident, and I
already have the paperwork.

I have the Texas Drivers Handbook in front of me and it says:

"Who may operate a motor vehicle in Texas?
(9) New residents who are properly licensed have 30 days after entry
into the state to secure a Texas driver license".

So, as Clinton would say: "it depends of what the meaning of 'is' is".

The question is: what do they mean by "after entry"? Is that the first
entry, the last entry? If I enter one day, and leave, coming back 3
weeks later, does the 30 day chronometer get reset?

Read the legislation. It is quite clear:

§ 521.029. OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE BY NEW STATE
RESIDENTS. (a) A person who enters this state as a new resident may
operate a motor vehicle in this state for no more than 30 days after
the date on which the person enters this state if the person:
(1) is 16 years of age or older;
and
(2) has in the person's possession a driver's license
issued to the person by the person's state or country of previous
residence.

So "after entry" means after entering the state and taking up residence. As
long as you maintain a residence in another state you do not need a Texas
licence, but as soon as you take up residence in Texas you are no longer a
resident.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
[...]

If it becomes an issue then their lawyer is going to be arguing one date
and yours is going to be arguing another and the judge is going to
decide which applies.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:13:09 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

I know someone who works and resides in Maryland. He also has
Wyoming plates on his cars and has done so for 40 years. He does
own a ranch in Wyoming and, AFAIK, has never had any problems
tho' he does not seem to spend much time there.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

He may just have been lucky. MD has occasionally run sweeps of cars
with out of state plates although it seems to be more common in
apartment complexes.

Things like where he votes determine residency.

Here's a list of fines in MD. There's a $280 fine for failing to
obtain a nonresident permit after 30 days.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/forms/dccr90.pdf