Pubs in Scotland for non smokers

Old February 15th, 2006, 12:53 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Default Pubs in Scotland for non smokers

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:55:39 +0000, I read these words from Craig
Cockburn :

I love smoke free.

Enjoy it. I, for one, won't be joining you.

I anticipate that pub prices will soon reflect the dip in profits due
to reduced custom from the smokers as our climate isn't really
conducive towards Bier Garten drinking and open air smoking.

And after being charged £6.60 for a "large Grouse" at a recent
wedding reception somewhere near Embra, I hate to think what
the upper limit might be.

BTW, saw an article claiming that, in Ireland, since the smoking ban,
people are now noticing "smells" in pubs. Notably BO and stale beer !

-- jjj

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Josiah Jenkins wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:55:39 +0000, I read these words from Craig
Cockburn :

I love smoke free.

Enjoy it. I, for one, won't be joining you.

I anticipate that pub prices will soon reflect the dip in profits due
to reduced custom from the smokers as our climate isn't really
conducive towards Bier Garten drinking and open air smoking.

I anticipate a rise in profits due to members of the public who do not
smoke (the majority), finally being able to enjoy an evening in the pub,
as happened in Vancouver when smoking in public buildings was banned
some years ago.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:42 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Josiah Jenkins wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:55:39 +0000, I read these words from Craig
Cockburn :

I love smoke free.

Enjoy it. I, for one, won't be joining you.

I anticipate that pub prices will soon reflect the dip in profits due
to reduced custom from the smokers as our climate isn't really
conducive towards Bier Garten drinking and open air smoking.

Yep, that's whats happening in Ireland, no matter what the government
say!

BTW, saw an article claiming that, in Ireland, since the smoking ban,
people are now noticing "smells" in pubs. Notably BO and stale beer !

God yeah! You walk into a pub first thing in the morning and all you
smell is chemicals! I presume it's the stuff they clean the pipes with.
And you're right about the BO!

I've actually cut down smoking, but I've also cut down going to the
pub, like a lot of my fellow citizens. I have to laugh though! It's the
first time I've heard of people voting for higher taxes! That's what
the no smoking lobby is promising you! Instead of the smokers making a
massive tax contribution to the government, it'll now be the non
smokers! Ah well, I presume they think it's worth it.

Focus here is on how much it'll save the health service. Some
scientists say it'll save millions in 20 years time, but others say
that some people are just prone to cancer and chest complaints so the
saving will be negligible. Personally, I think it's a cowardly way of
doing things by any government. If they want to ban smoking, then go
ahead and ban it! Don't go around making it impossible for smokers to
smoke. What next - an alcohol ban because it takes up beds with liver
illnesses?

I honestly believe that people should have the right to choose and that
includes employees. There should be smoking and non smoking pubs with
employees choosing to work in either.

What kind of pub do you think will have the best craic? The smoking or
non smoking?

Mike

-- jjj

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not borne out in Ireland, I'm afraid. It's funny, some of the best pubs
are now quiet during the winter and in the summer, all the best craic,
music etc., takes place outside! Some pubs are now so quiet that
they're like morgues! Still, I presume that's what the non smokers
want!

'Non-smokers' just want to have a drink without choking on smoke.

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not borne out in Ireland, I'm afraid. It's funny, some of the best pubs
are now quiet during the winter and in the summer, all the best craic,
music etc., takes place outside! Some pubs are now so quiet that
they're like morgues! Still, I presume that's what the non smokers
want!

'Non-smokers' just want to have a drink without choking on smoke.

And without going home with sore eyes and their clothes and hair stinking of
used smoke.
I've not been in a pub in years, but will now consider using them.
Lesley Robertson

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"Lesley Robertson" wrote in message
l...

And without going home with sore eyes and their clothes and hair stinking
of used smoke.
I've not been in a pub in years, but will now consider using them.

Many a time we've gone to pubs and told us that if we are smoking we can sit
in the nice area by the window. If non-smoking we can sit in the gloomy area
at the back.

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
I honestly believe that people should have the right to choose and that
includes employees. There should be smoking and non smoking pubs with
employees choosing to work in either.

Well at lesat smokers and non smokers agree on something then.

What kind of pub do you think will have the best craic? The smoking or
non smoking?

Both? Why do you need to smoke to have the best craic? Does it induce a
healthy glow, improve the vocal chords, put rythm in your feet, magically
give you musical powers that you never had before? The best craic will
surely be in the pub with the most patrons. An almost empty smokers/non
smokers pub will still be missing the best craic.

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"Lesley Robertson" wrote in message
l...

And without going home with sore eyes and their clothes and hair stinking
of used smoke.
I've not been in a pub in years, but will now consider using them.

Many a time we've gone to pubs and told us that if we are smoking we can
sit in the nice area by the window. If non-smoking we can sit in the
gloomy area at the back.

Something similar happened to me yesterday on the cross-North Sea ferry. I
was directed to the non-smokers section, miles from the bar and surrounded
on 3 sides by smoking areas, with no separating walls (but, according to the
staff a very good ventilation system). I ended up taking my drink to my
cabin!
Lesley Robertson

Old February 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"KMM" wrote in message

Both? Why do you need to smoke to have the best craic? Does it induce a

healthy glow, improve the vocal chords, put rythm in your feet, magically
give you musical powers that you never had before? The best craic will
surely be in the pub with the most patrons. An almost empty smokers/non
smokers pub will still be missing the best craic.

I believe that business would have only suffered if there was smoking and
non-smoking pubs.
The fact that they are all non-smoking will likely result in no decrease in
trade, and probably an increase.

Old February 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not borne out in Ireland, I'm afraid. It's funny, some of the best pubs
are now quiet during the winter and in the summer, all the best craic,
music etc., takes place outside! Some pubs are now so quiet that
they're like morgues! Still, I presume that's what the non smokers
want!

'Non-smokers' just want to have a drink without choking on smoke.

And without going home with sore eyes and their clothes and hair stinking of
used smoke.
I've not been in a pub in years, but will now consider using them.
Lesley Robertson

that's fine Lesley. All I'm saying is that people should have been
allowed to choose! Then we could have seen if the non smoking pubs were
any match for the smoking ones! It's called competition. If the smoking
pubs were considered to be rubbish, they would fold or go non smoking!
And vice versa.

No matter how non smokers phrase it, a large part of the population has
been shafted. Fair enough, I've got used to going outside in Ireland,
but that's because a lot of publicans have converted bits of car parks
into heated beergardens etc. A lot of pubs in Scotland don't have that
option and the alternative is half drunk guys standing outside pubs
smoking. Good eh?

Mike