Going to Tanzania and/or Kenya June2005 - Lots of Questions

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Bobby

Default Going to Tanzania and/or Kenya June2005 - Lots of Questions

I aggree with 3 nights minimum. Otherwise the body will be ahead of the
soul.

Apart from that if it is luxury you are looking for then go for CCAfrica.
Check out their website www.ccafrica.com. And NO, I don't work for them or
anything like that. I just stayed at two of their lodges recently (Kleins &
Ngorongoro) . Total luxury.

"Rita Daggett" wrote in message
"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
no, but the Serengeti is big. You could visit two lodges in that
area in somewhat different landscapes.

Thats what I'd recommend. Personally I think 3 nights is minimum stay at
any one place - gives you time to settle down a bit! It can take you
virtually all day to travel from one place to another if you do it by

road.
If you do three nights at each of Ngorongoro and 2 lodges in different

parts
of the Serengeti then thats your 10 days! (we flew back to Arusha from the
last lodge)
But Lake Manyara would I think be an interesting alternative to the second
Serengeti Lodge, and it breaks up the road trip from Arusha to the Crater
(as I recall - we didnt stop there except at the air strip on the way back
to pick up some people).

I personally would visit Olduvai Gorge, but that's something
entirely different, an archaeological site. Not many live
animals to see there. And it would be worthwhile only if
somebody were there to explain.

When we went to Olduvai (it was en route from ? (Ngorongoro?) to ?
(Serengeti?) there were 'talks' given by archaeologists (I think) and a
small museum to look around. You couldnt go down into the Gorge tho - te
talks were given from the top and looking down into it. It was

interesting
to visit as we were more-or-less passing anyway but I wouldnt set aside a
whole day for it.
--
Rita Daggett

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Bobby

Ngorongoro is bizarely both the best and the worst. It is the best because
the concentration of wildlife is amazing and because everywhere you look
will have the beautiful background of the crater rim. But it is also the
worst because the wildlife is so used to overland vehicles that they hardly
move as a vehicle approach. That is good because you are likely to get
better photos but some people leave the place with a feeling of it being
like a zoo. Not wild nature.

Having said that, I have been there twice and loved it.

When you are there, buy yourself a walk with a masaii as guide. Beautiful!

"Justin Leggroan" wrote in message
. com...
Justin - when you get closer to time for your travels, you
might ask this again. Between now and then, I suggest you
study itineraries and have an idea of where you want to
go and how much you can afford. Then, start finding the
company that has the appropriate 'package' for you.

Thanks for the info.

How far in advance would you recommend that I book the trip?

Considering that I'm only going to be there for 10 or so days, I'm

thinking
that I should limit my trip to as few locations as possible. I have read
the experiences from others on this group and they felt like they just

tried
to see too much too fast.

If I restrict my trip to Tanzania only, I know I absolutely want to see

the
Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater. (I've heard too much about them not

go see them with my own eyes). Is there any one additional location that
you would recommend including for a first trip to Tanzani that would be
within reason on a 10 day trip?

Thanks again for your feedback.

-Justin

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Rita Daggett

"Bobby" wrote in message
Ngorongoro is bizarely both the best and the worst. It is the best because
the concentration of wildlife is amazing and because everywhere you look
will have the beautiful background of the crater rim. But it is also the
worst because the wildlife is so used to overland vehicles that they

hardly
move as a vehicle approach. That is good because you are likely to get
better photos but some people leave the place with a feeling of it being
like a zoo. Not wild nature.

I know what you mean! Also, there are such a lot of vehicles that if you do
find anything 'interesting' (eg we saw a 'stand-off' between some lions and
buffalo) there will be loads of other people there too (and as for the
'picnic' site....). But its possible to get away from the crowds - we
managed to find a spot where you could see 360 degrees of crater rim and not
a vehicle in sight.
--
Rita Daggett

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Justin Leggroan

You all have provided such great feedback that I have started sharing it
with a few friends. In discussing your feedback with them, I came to
realize that I neglected to ask one more important question:

How far in advance should I book my safari?

-Justin

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Justin Leggroan" wrote:

You all have provided such great feedback that I have started sharing it
with a few friends. In discussing your feedback with them, I came to
realize that I neglected to ask one more important question:

How far in advance should I book my safari?

Depends on with who. I booked a free Hilton safari to start in a few
weeks last... August. A paid one with Serena for just after that (in 4
weeks) just a few weeks ago
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Justin Leggroan

How far in advance should I book my safari?

Depends on with who. I booked a free Hilton safari to start in a few
weeks last... August. A paid one with Serena for just after that (in 4
weeks) just a few weeks ago

Thanks for the reply. It would be terrible to do a bunch of planning only
to be late on the booking

It sounds like you obviously had a good first trip. I'm sure I will too.

From which country did your travel originate?

-Justin

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Rita Daggett

"Justin Leggroan" wrote in message
. com...
How far in advance should I book my safari?

I cant remember whether you want a 'safari' including the flight to Kenya or
not; from UK the determining factor can be the availability of (cheap)
flights to Nairobi; the 'safari-only' bit you can probably book fairly late
(esp if you are flexible about exactly where you want to go); if you are
using a tour operator who also books the 'getting to Kenya' part, then it
might depend on their size and 'pull' with the airline companies.

--
Rita Daggett

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Justin Leggroan" wrote:

How far in advance should I book my safari?

Depends on with who. I booked a free Hilton safari to start in a few
weeks last... August. A paid one with Serena for just after that (in 4
weeks) just a few weeks ago

Thanks for the reply. It would be terrible to do a bunch of planning only
to be late on the booking

It sounds like you obviously had a good first trip. I'm sure I will too.

actually I don't leave for there for another 14 1/2 days

From which country did your travel originate?

Canada
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Macon Dunnagan

Not the Karl Orff wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Justin Leggroan" wrote:

How far in advance should I book my safari?

Depends on with who. I booked a free Hilton safari to start in a few
weeks last... August. A paid one with Serena for just after that (in 4
weeks) just a few weeks ago

Thanks for the reply. It would be terrible to do a bunch of planning only
to be late on the booking

It sounds like you obviously had a good first trip. I'm sure I will too.

actually I don't leave for there for another 14 1/2 days

From which country did your travel originate?

Canada

Before you book your safari get in touch with ZARA tanzanian
adventures and see what they will quote you...super company nice
people they made it into the book "Sons of Kilimanjaro"..Macon