Montreal Airport ATM

Old September 21st, 2003, 10:08 PM
Cheryl

Default Montreal Airport ATM

Could anyone out there tell me if there is/are one or more reliable
Automatic Teller machines at the Montreal Airport? Do they have an English
option (rather than French?) I am wondering if I need to get Canadian money
before I fly to Montreal or if I can just wait and hit the ATM when I
arrive.

Will taxi's take U.S. dollars if the ATM fails?

Thanks for your help

Cheryl

Old September 21st, 2003, 11:58 PM
Miguel Cruz

Cheryl wrote:
Could anyone out there tell me if there is/are one or more reliable
Automatic Teller machines at the Montreal Airport?

Yes.

Do they have an English option (rather than French?)

Yes. I don't think I've seen an ATM anywhere in the world in the past 5
years that didn't default to English when a foreign card was inserted. In
any case, you only have two choices: "withdraw money" and "view balance" so
even if you stab wildly at the keys you can't go too far wrong.

I am wondering if I need to get Canadian money before I fly to Montreal or
if I can just wait and hit the ATM when I arrive.

The latter should be fine. Works for me anyway.

Will taxi's take U.S. dollars if the ATM fails?

Mostly, but at a lousy exchange rate.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:05 AM
Trudi Marrapodi

In article , "Cheryl"
wrote:

Could anyone out there tell me if there is/are one or more reliable
Automatic Teller machines at the Montreal Airport?

I have to admit I've never been to Dorval, but there must be. It's a major
airport, after all.

Do they have an English
option (rather than French?)

Every ATM I've ever been to in Canada has the "English/Francais" option. I
can't see why they'd be any different in Quebec, unless they want to do
business only with people who understand French. But I'd think that would
be bad for their business.

I am wondering if I need to get Canadian money
before I fly to Montreal or if I can just wait and hit the ATM when I
arrive.

You could get it before you go, but from what I've heard, it's difficult
to order from the banks if you're not in a border state. I don't know
where you are but if you're not in a border state, it seems it would be a
lot of trouble and I don't know whether you'd get an exchange rate that
would make it worth the while. I'd say, just go to the ATM when you get to
the airport. Or bring traveler's checks and go to a currency exchange at
the airport and cash them in Canadian money.

Will taxi's take U.S. dollars if the ATM fails?

I wouldn't bet on that in Quebec. Niagara Falls maybe, but not Quebec. But
I also wouldn't worry too much about finding a functioning ATM at Dorval
Airport that will speak English to you.
--
Trudi
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:53 PM
Miguel Cruz

127.0.0.0 127.0.0.0 wrote:
The last time I came into dorval, I couldn't find an ATM, they do have
the old fashioned money changing booths

Bank of Montreal.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:54 PM
ML

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Cheryl wrote:
Yes. I don't think I've seen an ATM anywhere in the world in the past 5
years that didn't default to English when a foreign card was inserted. In
any case, you only have two choices: "withdraw money" and "view balance" so
even if you stab wildly at the keys you can't go too far wrong.

Maybe you need to travel more. :-) I've seen plenty of foreign ATMs that
don't have any English, especially in smaller cities. My last frustration
was in Hachioji, Japan earlier this year. I went to at least 10 different
ATMs, none of which had English, and all of which rejected my ATM card. I
found one bank that had an ATM with English, but it also rejected my ATM
card. I finally ended up exchanging traveler's checks (which I got for
backup) at my hotel.

Regarding Dorval, I was there last year and I couldn't find a working ATM
machine at the airport. I don't remember if the ATMs were down or they
wouldn't accept my card. However, there was a bank down the street from my
hotel downtown where I could get money with no problem. Fortunately I had
enough Canadian money left over from a prior trip to pay for the taxi downtown.

Mary

Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Dave Smith

ML wrote:

Maybe you need to travel more. :-) I've seen plenty of foreign ATMs that
don't have any English, especially in smaller cities.

I have used ATMs in Denmark, France, Belgium, Germany and Holland. All of them had
services in English, and several other languages.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:27 PM
Miguel Cruz

ML wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
Yes. I don't think I've seen an ATM anywhere in the world in the past 5
years that didn't default to English when a foreign card was inserted. In
any case, you only have two choices: "withdraw money" and "view balance" so
even if you stab wildly at the keys you can't go too far wrong.

Maybe you need to travel more. :-) I've seen plenty of foreign ATMs that
don't have any English, especially in smaller cities. My last frustration
was in Hachioji, Japan earlier this year.

Japan is famous for this and is an exception to the rule. I used Citibank
machines which were no problem.

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Richard

"Trudi Marrapodi" wrote in message

Well, given that the question was about Canada, and English is one of the
two official languages, I don't see any reason why any ATM in the country
would not offer an English option.

The province of Quebec, however, is unilingually French.

To the OP: Don't worry, though. Montreal is, for the purpose of tourists,
completely French/English bilingual. Any ATM you find will default to
English. That said just make sure you use an ATM operated by one of the
"real" banks as opposed to one of the outfits that do nothing more than
operate ATMs. The latter will typically charge you an extra $2 CAD per
transaction.

Richard