driving across the usa - the developments

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default driving across the usa - the developments

Hiloman wrote:
El Paso gets my vote as the ugliest city in the States. I'm too lazy to
read you earlier threads, but why would anyone be interested in El Paso?

A jumping-off point for daytrips to scenic Ciudad Juarez?

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:55 PM
rob tyler

"Hiloman" wrote in message
t...
I'm confused. Why are you coming to American and skipping New York City?
Would you expect a first time visitor to England to skip London?

PLAN C: Fly as much as you can and spend a few days in the Big Apple.

- i thought i'd leave NY and surroundings for a separate trip to give it its
dues - besides, it'll probably be a bit chilly at christmas...

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:05 PM
rob tyler

"Hiloman" wrote in message
t...

Plan B: leave car and FLY (on 24th) from New Orleans to El Paso -

El Paso gets my vote as the ugliest city in the States. I'm too lazy to
read you earlier threads, but why would anyone be interested in El Paso?

it seemed sort of half way around (from NY to SF) - you probably arent aware
of how romantic your city and town names are from this side of the
atlantic - they conjure up all sorts of folk (film?)memory connections -
though, as you suggest, the realities are probably not as wonderful - but it
being on the mexican border would give us a chance to spend one day on each
side to compare - i presume the mexicans are quite keen on christmas - and
anyway a party is a party wherever....

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
rob tyler

--

you said it miguel....

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Juliana L Holm

Hiloman wrote:

El Paso gets my vote as the ugliest city in the States. I'm too lazy to
read you earlier threads, but why would anyone be interested in El Paso?

The old missions there are quite lovely. It is not high up on my list of
places to visit, and having travelled a bit in Mexico, Ciudad Juarez and
all the US/Mexico Border towns are not at all typical of Mexico.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM
rob tyler

thanks for all that tremendous advice - i shall have to see whether i can
get a better car deal from Philadelphia -
- one thing did occur to me today that i hadnt considered as we dont have
them here in the UK: are there tolls on the Interstates like in Europe or
are they mostly free?

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM
rob tyler

thanks barbara - if we can do 400 or 500 miles every other day in 6 or 7
hours that would be ok i reckon - it is the thought of dawdling along at 55
or 60 mph that worries me - we do tend to speed along at 90mph on the UK
motorways and the distance just gets eaten up...

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Miguel Cruz

rob tyler wrote:
thanks for all that tremendous advice - i shall have to see whether i can
get a better car deal from Philadelphia -
- one thing did occur to me today that i hadnt considered as we dont have
them here in the UK: are there tolls on the Interstates like in Europe or
are they mostly free?

There are some in the east but fewer as you go south and west.

If you plot a course with Mapquest.com it will alert you to toll sections.

Old September 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM
rob tyler

for 1800 miles to El Paso

New Orleans to El Paso is 1100 miles

you dont know how grateful i am for your comment: i have been using a
Hallwag map of the USA which has distances between cities to work out our
trip and because of your remark just went back to check what you said and
realised that the distances are in kilometers and not miles as i had
thought - so my 6000 mile trip has suddenly strunk to under 4000 - and now
seems possible again!! thank you thank you...... ha ha...