luggage Safety?

Old May 16th, 2004, 09:49 PM
C L

Default luggage Safety?

We are going (hopefully) on a cruise for our 20th anniversary next year
and are booking it soon.Since our 1st cruise back in 2000 something has
been on my mind and wonder if anybody in this NG has ever had a problem
with putting your luggage outside your room the night before
debarkation.How safe are the bags?Has anybody had them stolen or just
things missing from them ?

We did not know with our first cruise till the night before about this
rule and we wondered about security measures to keep them from being
stolen or tampered with.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old May 16th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Eileen Garland

In 45 cruises, we've never had a piece of luggage stolen or anything
missing from our bags. We take no special precautions.

Eileen

Old May 16th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Mike Cordelli

That's where we get all our new luggage, on the cruise on the last night.
Just tear off your tags and put ours on, and never a problem.

Kidding.

Never had a problem. We usually put them out when they start taking them
away, so they aren't there all day.

Old May 16th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Netscape 7.1 User

On our last cruise we left the two combination-locked rollarounds
outside the door as instructed. When we found them in the warehouse the
next morning, both locks had been cut off and our camera was gone. The
cruise line denied any responsibility for the theft. You can take your
own luggage off the ship with you, if you like.

Old May 16th, 2004, 11:44 PM
steve

bag was ripped off ist cruise but got back. since then take all bags off
myself. dont know where it was taken outside cabin or on pier.

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:32 AM
wayne

You should NEVER put anything of value in bags that are checked!

Period end of question!

Cameras Jewelry, Film medicine should all be on carryon bags that are always
carried with you!

Wayne

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

C L wrote:

We are going (hopefully) on a cruise for our 20th anniversary next year
and are booking it soon.Since our 1st cruise back in 2000 something has
been on my mind and wonder if anybody in this NG has ever had a problem
with putting your luggage outside your room the night before
debarkation.How safe are the bags?Has anybody had them stolen or just
things missing from them ?

In thirteen cruises we have never had a problem. Just play it safe and
don't put anything of value in you luggage. Things like cameras, jewelry
etc should always be in your carry on.

sue

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Asya Kamsky

In article ,
C L wrote:
We are going (hopefully) on a cruise for our 20th anniversary next year
and are booking it soon.Since our 1st cruise back in 2000 something has
been on my mind and wonder if anybody in this NG has ever had a problem
with putting your luggage outside your room the night before
debarkation.How safe are the bags?Has anybody had them stolen or just
things missing from them ?

In 2001, on our only Holland America cruise (Zaandam) our three bags
were stolen from the hallway even though they weren't matched, and
they were put there at separate times throughout the evening.

The cruiseline refused to take any responsibility even though it seemed
very likely an inside job, imo, so we had to take up the claim with
our homeowners. But a lot of stuff wasn't easily replacable not because
it was valuable per se, but because it's hard to find new "favorite"
things, clothes, shoes, etc.

Never had problems before or since, but we carry always carried our stuff
off since then except twice when it wasn't practical as there were more
bags than us (two week cruise).

--
Asya Kamsky
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM
JLP20

Has anybody had them stolen or just
things missing from them ?

A few years back there was a thread about a cruise that had hundreds of kids
running the halls the entire trip. It was stated that the last night, many bags
were thrown overboard for "fun".

I all have wondered at how easy it would be for anyone with a balconey to do
this type of theft. Snag a couple of bags within 30 feet of your door. After
midnight, simply toss the bag and contents over the rail. In my own mind I
discounted the scenario, who would be stupid enough to pack valuable items in
the luggage rather than carry them off.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Howie

Asya Kamsky wrote:

In 2001, on our only Holland America cruise (Zaandam) our three bags
were stolen from the hallway even though they weren't matched, and
they were put there at separate times throughout the evening.

The cruiseline refused to take any responsibility even though it seemed
very likely an inside job, imo, so we had to take up the claim with
our homeowners. But a lot of stuff wasn't easily replacable not because
it was valuable per se, but because it's hard to find new "favorite"
things, clothes, shoes, etc.

What a bummer! I know I sound like a broken record on rtc, but HAL is
the worst when it comes to real customer service [read as dealing with
serious customer problems].

Howie