Impressions of QUEEN MARY 2 and Photos

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM
E.k.R.

Default Impressions of QUEEN MARY 2 and Photos

So many superlatives have already been expressed regarding QM2 that it's not
easy adding anything new to what has already been said. For this reason I
am not writing a full review of QM2 but rather some personal impressions of
my experience onboard.

First off let me just state that QM2 is all she is cracked up to be and then
some. Having sailed on over 50 cruises on almost as many different ships I
can say without question that QM2 stands out in a sea of ship design
mediocrity. She embodies all that a true ocean liner should, such as speed,
stability, graceful lines, elegance, glamour, and of course an imposing
figure on the horizon. For those that know ships, many would agree that the
French Line NORMANDIE was a ship to be envied. She embodied the finest
available ship design technology of her day and was considered the best of
the best during her short life. In many ways she remains a legend even
today, long after her demise. I feel QUEEN MARY 2 is the NORMANDIE of our
time. Like NORMANDIE, the QM2 excels in style, grace, speed, and glamour.
Simply stated, there is nothing else like QM2 sailing today. I am so
enamored with QM2 that if I had to choose only one ship to sail on for the
rest of my life, QM2 would be it. I hope she never acquires a sister as QM2
should remain one of a kind as far as I'm concerned. Should we end up with
five QM2 clones years from now, and I can only surmise that much of what is
special about QM2 will fade with her uniqueness.

I have absolutely no complaints regarding my QM2 experience. Yes a few
things could have been better, but they are so inconsequential that there is
no reason to dwell on them. Later on I will point out a few items that
Cunard might consider changing in the future, but only as a means of
constructive criticism.

The festive mood was set right from the onset, with an excellent embarkation
process in a NY pier decked out with photos of famous Cunard past
passengers. The feeling that something was going to be different, rather
special, was apparent from this moment on. Disembarkation was just as
efficient and I experienced none of the chaos that others have written about
on past cruises. Sailing out of NY is always a treat, made even more so
when you are onboard the largest ocean liner in the world. Three blasts
from the steam whistle which once graced the original QUEEN MARY sent
shivers down my spine and was a fitting way to declare our departure. "New
York, New York" and "America the Beautiful" were played over the open decks
and one could not help feeling very proud at that moment.

I'm a detailed oriented person and anyone that appreciates details will fall
in love with QM2. The details are everywhere, and it's exceedingly apparent
just how much thought went into the design of this ship. The artwork is
stunning throughout, as are the grand staircases, light fixtures, graceful
indoor and outdoor promenades, interior decor, etc. It's all first rate and
there is very little I would change. Having read so much about the food and
service issues on previous cruises, I wasn't sure what to expect. This
combined with my less than stellar experience on QE2 a couple years ago left
me with an indifferent attitude towards Cunard. Thankfully my apprehension
was easily put to rest as I experienced wonderful service, food,
entertainment, and enrichment onboard. Our dining room waiter was truly a
cut above what one might expect, so much so that special requests were
always met with a smile and we were called by name each and every evening.
Food was equally satisfying and I never had a bad meal onboard. I would say
it was certainly up to Celebrity Cruises standards, which is quite good. An
evening at Todd English was another treat, and I highly recommend this venue
to anyone sailing on QM2.

Activities were quite varied, and a real treat was attending lectures by
ship historian Bill Miller. Evening entertainment was also excellent and
there was never a lack of things to do. The three main production shows
were well produced and orchestrated, and as good as anything I've seen on
most other lines if not better. This sailing also offered a little extra
excitement with repeated emergency signals one evening, and a Coast Guard
airlift of an ill crewmember one afternoon. In true shipboard tradition
both events were very popular topics among passengers and crew, with rumors
flying like wild flowers.

I was quite lucky to hook up with a wonderful group of new found friends
onboard, both passengers and crew. You all know who you are and I only hope
we have the opportunity to cruise together again. It was a true pleasure
meeting each and every one of you. As if sailing on QM2 was not amazing
enough, adding these very special people into the mix pushed the entire
experience right over the top! In fact the entire atmosphere onboard was
quite special, not unlike older ships I have sailed in the past. It's
almost as if QM2 already has a soul, something that you just don't feel on
other newbuilds. I'm not sure if it's the eclectic layout (not cookie
cutter), the proud crew, the music everywhere, or the wonderful mix of
passengers - but it's probably a combination of all four that create this
wonderful ambiance onboard.

Each evening after my workout I would make a few laps around the Deck 7
outdoor Promenade. As the sun was setting I had a clear view inside the
interior of the ship. What I witnessed during those early evening walks was
a compilation of shipboard life onboard QM2. First passing the Winter
Garden I would notice passengers in various dress enjoying cocktails.
Moving aft to the King's Court I would peer in to perhaps see Bill Miller
hosting an elegant table for dinner. Further aft passengers in Princess
Grill were slowly filling up tables and enjoying conversation with table
mates. Swinging around to the starboard side I would pass by the Queen's
Grill where elegantly clad passengers were already in full swing with
several enjoying the main course. Now moving forward on the starboard side
I would take a peek into the Queen's Grill Lounge were men in tuxes and
ladies in their finest evening gowns were enjoying cocktails and
conversation while listening to a harpist and piano. Finally I would make
my way back to the gym/spa where those that work out late like I do were
dressed in shorts/tee-shirts and were in various stages of their workouts.
Of course from my perspective on the outside looking in, there was little
sound so I could only imagine the music being played and what the topics of
conversation might be. It was always a very pleasant way to start the
evening and gave me great appreciation as to why QM2 truly is a city at sea.
I already miss those early evening walks out on deck.

I mentioned earlier there is some room for improvement. I think that is the
case with everything in life, and QM2 is no exception. There is very little
I would change about QM2, but perhaps Cunard may consider the following.
Access to the aft pool decks could be better. Having my cabin on Deck 8
meant walking down to Deck 7, then up again to Deck 8 via a special
staircase by the Princess Grill. This was awkward especially in bathing
attire and was made necessary to avoid walking through Todd English.
Somehow there should be better access. The Boardwalk Cafe seemed like an
afterthought and needs sprucing up. There is no interior space to eat so
it's outside only, and many times it's too windy. This area needs to be
reconsidered by Cunard. The minimum price for a photo onboard is $27. I
find this insulting and certainly hope Cunard thinks better of it's
passengers then to charge such an outlandish price. Our cabin was a balcony
with obstructed view, and the balcony was always wet with sea spray. Not
just a little, but many times drenched to where we could not sit outside. I
found this very odd especially since we were high up, inboard, and protected
by a lifeboat. In fact all the outer decks of QM2 seemed to be plagued by
sea spray.... even those very high up and on calm days. I've never
experienced this on other ships and maybe someone out there might know why?
Finally, the Canyon Ranch Spa should not charge for the use of the sauna or
showers. No other ship does and QM2 shouldn't either. It's quite odd
having a gym but not being able to access the locker room unless you pay.
This is a clear case of nickel and diming and it's not necessary on a class
act like QM2. I might add if there is one public room I would not miss
onboard, it's the Winter Garden. It just doesn't belong on QM2 and reminds
me of a space I would find on DISNEY MAGIC or DISNEY WONDER. It's not so
terribly bad, but in comparison to the other public rooms it pales.

As you can tell QM2 has made a believer out of me. Frankly I was a bit
QM2'd out considering all the hype and publicity over the past months.
Having personally experienced her I can now understand the excitement.
There is simply no other ship that can offer the same experience. I have a
feeling I will return to QM2 as many times as possible. She is a ship I
don't think I could ever get tired or bored of. May she sail for a long,
long time!

In closing, there have been so many pictures taken of QM2 I don't know why I
bothered with my own. Others have done a much better job but none the less
I ended up taking over 200 photos. It's hard to capture this amazing ship
in a photo, but I gave it a shot. Just click on the link below and I hope
you enjoy them.

http://public.fotki.com/eroller/queen_mary_2/

All the best,
Ernie

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Mark K - SF

Wonderful Ernie (Will I be able to wait 2-3 years for the prices to come
down!!??!)
Loved the photos.

Mark

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Howie

E.k.R. wrote:

Nice review and pictures, thanks.

No First off let me just state that QM2 is all she is cracked up to
be and then
some. Having sailed on over 50 cruises on almost as many different ships I
can say without question that QM2 stands out in a sea of ship design
mediocrity.

The excerpt below suggests a very annoying problem with ship design.

with obstructed view, and the balcony was always wet with sea spray.t
just a little, but many times drenched to where we could not sit outside. I
found this very odd especially since we were high up, inboard, and protected
by a lifeboat. In fact all the outer decks of QM2 seemed to be plagued by
sea spray.... even those very high up and on calm days. I've never
experienced this on other ships and maybe someone out there might know why?

The except below, together with those fee based alternative dining
venues, suggests to me that the ship is not a "class act", but a big
(deliberate double entendre) ripoff.

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Ernie,

Thanks for a great review and pictures!

sue

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:25 PM
RTCReferee

Thanks for the review and photos. I appreciate your time and effort.

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Linsifer

Great review, Ernie! Nice photos, too. I will say, though, that the pools on
the Star Princess are far prettier than the main pool on the QM2. This one
seemed so bland and rectangle. At least on the Star there was some gentle
curving around the pool itself and some nice mosaic designs. But, that would
stop me from sailing on the QM2. Money would.

Lindsay
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:33 PM
villa deauville

Thanks Ernie for the great review

SUNNY.........Did you remember to take your skateboard?

S'nd I
XXX

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Gayle A Kortright

Default Gone soon

In a little over an hour I'm gonna shut down my computer and tomorrow
morning we head for Seattle and the Diamond Princess. Whooo Hooo!!!

Gayle