BazBus or Greyhound?

Old August 11th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Alex

Default BazBus or Greyhound?

Hi There!
I'm planning to travel in South Africa with m,y girlfriend in spring
2005. We've decided not to rent a car and go by bus instead. But
WHICH? We have 6 weeks and would like to go frem Cape Town to
Johannesburg. We've looked at BazBus and Greyhound. But the guestion
is: Is BazBus just partying all the way (like OZ in Australia/NZ) or
is it as 'serious' as Greyhound?

Best Regards,
Alex
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Clive Reid

Hi Alex,

Both Cape Town and Johannesburg are difficult to tour without your own
transport. Public transport in these cities is either minibus taxi, bus or
train. All can be difficult to master and sometimes can be dangerous,
especially for the uninitiated.

Seriously consider hiring a car when in the cities, perhaps using the
long-distance bus such as Greyhound or InterCape etc between Cape Town and
Johannesburg.

If you have 6 weeks, you could easily see much more of the country than is
implied in your post. As a matter of interest, do you have a fuller
itinerary at this stage?

Regards,
Clive Reid

om...

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Alex

"Clive Reid" wrote in message ...
If you have 6 weeks, you could easily see much more of the country than is
implied in your post. As a matter of interest, do you have a fuller
itinerary at this stage?

Hi Clive
Thanks for your reply!
We are just beginning to plan our trip now, but so far it looks as
follows:
We intend to land in Capetown around the 25th of february, and spend
around 3-5 days here (in the city and in the Capetown area, Table
Mountain etc.) Then the plan is to travel the Garden Route along the
shores to Port Elizabeth. We intend to have many stops and some
daytrips into the country when possible. Then on to East London and
Durban. We haven't decided if we should make a trip to Lesotho and
then go back to Durban to catch the N2 to Swaziland or go straight to
Swaziland from Durban, and then on to Johannesburg with a 4-5 days
stop at Kruger NP.
It is important for us not to go to fast around. We would like to have
some time to explore the areas we pass by. Since we haven't traveled
in SA before, we are not sure how it is all gonna work out. But please
post any comments and suggestions!

Thank you!
/Alex

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Scott Elliot

My daughter took the Bazbus from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town a couple of
years ago. She had a very good time and enjoyed the trip. It was good to
be able to meet people at the various hostels and discus activities and
plans. It was also handy to be able to set her agenda as she went along
depending on information she received from other travellers. The only place
she reserved in advance was Jeffries Bay, because she had heard it was
sometimes difficult to get accommodation in the hostel she wanted. For all
the other locations she just called ahead on her cell phone a day or two in
advance to be sure she had a place to stay before she got on the Bazbus. I
recommend carrying a South African cell phone when travelling there.

Her main complaint was that she met mostly foreign travellers. Apparently
South Africans consider the Bazbus too expensive, but we had a very
favourable exchange rate for Canadian dollars at the time.

Scott Elliot

"Alex" wrote in message
om...

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Clive Reid

There is a lot to do in and around Cape Town, so allow your self sufficient
time: for example:

Table Mountain (by cable car or better still hike up - get local knowledge
regarding safety)
Robben Island (book in advance)
Historical city - Castle, parliament, SA museum., SA Art gallery
Penguin colony at Boulders
Wine routes around Stellenbosch
Cape Peninsula drive to Cape Point
Kirstenbosch National Gardens (set under east of Table mountain)
Clifton beach
Two Oceans aquarium at the Waterfront complex

En route up the east coast, perhaps visit Oudshoorn for the Cango Caves and
ostrich farms.
Visit Knysna
Visit (stay at) Tsitsikamma coastal reserve

From Durban, consider a trip to and Drakensberg mountains esp. Royal
National park

You can drive from Durban to Kruger National Park via Swaziland visiting St
Lucia reserve/Imfolozi/Hluhluwe game reserves en route. (all parks will need
advance booking)

Regards,
Clive Reid

"Alex" wrote in message