Postage

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

Default UK Constitution Postage

Tim C. wrote:
This is why the authors of the US Constitution did not make
the new nation a Democracy. They knew rule by the Demos meant mob
rule. That is why they made the USA a Republic.

Do you think Democracy and being a Republic are mutually exclusive?

Many Americans do. "The USA is not a democracy, it's a republic" is a
phrase that has been uttered many times and is a very long standing
misunderstanding about the US constitution. The two terms refer to two
different things (type of state vs form of government) but that is lost
on many Americans.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:37:58 PM UTC, Király wrote:
Tim C. wrote:

This is why the authors of the US Constitution did not make

the new nation a Democracy. They knew rule by the Demos meant mob

rule. That is why they made the USA a Republic.

Do you think Democracy and being a Republic are mutually exclusive?

Many Americans do. "The USA is not a democracy, it's a republic" is a

phrase that has been uttered many times and is a very long standing

misunderstanding about the US constitution. The two terms refer to two

different things (type of state vs form of government) but that is lost

on many Americans.

--

K.

Lang may your lum reek.

And US politics are, in practice, hardly democratic anyway.
Absolutely not the version I'd want to live with.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Surreyman wrote:

And US politics are, in practice, hardly democratic anyway.
Absolutely not the version I'd want to live with.

More and more that's true for a lot of USAians, too - unfortunately,
we're the unmonied 98%, and our elected officials are more concerned
with lining their own pockets than serving the folk who elected them to
office.
Old March 13th, 2014, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:40:50 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote in
post : om :

Surreyman wrote:

And US politics are, in practice, hardly democratic anyway.
Absolutely not the version I'd want to live with.

More and more that's true for a lot of USAians, too - unfortunately,
we're the unmonied 98%, and our elected officials are more concerned
with lining their own pockets than serving the folk who elected them to
office.

I think that's the same just about everywhere.
--
Tim C. Linz, Austria.
Old March 16th, 2014, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Schnitzel Chips Postage

On 2014-03-10 06:43:02 -0500, Tim C. said:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 06:50:39 -0500, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2014030906503974080-stephedanospam@maccom :

I don't recognize the name of that fruit. It was some kind of berry, I
think, like a strawberry but more tart.

Prolly "Preselbeer", iirc Cowberries, which are similar to cranberries.

Ah, yes, I think that's it.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old March 16th, 2014, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Fish and Chips Schnitzel Chips Postage

On 2014-03-10 14:08:27 -0500, tim..... said:

"Erilar" wrote in message ...

"Tim C." wrote:
On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:21:38 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

It comes from Vienna

Wiener schnitzel does. There are other sorts of schnitzel.

Such as the Pariser schnitzel, which is coated in batter instead of
breadcrumbs and served with spaghetti in tomato sauce.

That's a crime!

If it's what i think it is (I'm racking my brains to think of the
name), it's a very light batter - not at all like what the English put
on fish - and it works rather well. Though I personally don't like
having pasta on a plate as a vegetable and prefer it served up with
some sort of potato.

tim

Ah, now *that* is the British version of Schnitzel. Fish and chips can
be great. My favorite was from a residental area outside Milton Keynes
called Broughton, but for the setting, it is the shop on the strand in
Portsmouth, watching the ferries come and go. Then there was the place
outside Bedford called The Codfather. ha

Old March 16th, 2014, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Holsteinschnitzel Schnitzel Chips Postage

On 2014-03-10 06:41:51 -0500, Tim C. said:

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 20:05:52 -0600, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2014030720055284571-stephedanospam@maccom :

Am Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:43:05 -0600 schrieb Dan Stephenson:

In Germany, I like the schnitzel.

You get that a lot in Germany, but it's originally from Austria. The real
Asutrian "Wiener Schnitzel" has to be made from veal btw.

Regards,

Frank

Oh right! von kalb

It came from some kind of fruit dressing. It was a nice touch. What I
*really* like is when a fried egg is place on top of it.

Sacrilege!!

laugh

But have you tried it. I think it is from the north of Germany,
"Holsteinschnitzel".

Really, you should try it. The yolk makes an incredible sauce.

or, like Germans often do, serve it with some sort of sauce(mushroom is
common) or gravy.

That is good too, but makes the breading too damp. With the egg, you
can cut off a piece and dip it into the yolk. See?

Old March 16th, 2014, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Bangers and Mash Schnitzel Chips Postage

On 2014-03-11 02:28:12 -0500, Tim C. said:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:23:45 +0100, Josef Kleber wrote in post :
:

No, they take a thick slice of sausage, fry it, and put some kind of
tomato-sauce over it.

Regards,

Frank

Ah, ok. Sounds a bit like Jägerbraten here. Sausage, or something a bit
like meatloaf in various sorts of sauce.

Hmmm meatloaf! ;-)

the east german Jägerschnitzel is coated "Jagdwurst" with breadcrumbs.

Josef

Hmm. I don't think I like the sound of that.

Are you crazy? That sounds AWESOME. All it then needs is some mashed
potatoes!

Bangers and Mash are my second favorite typically British food, after
Fish and Chips.

I think the name of the sausage is "Cumberland Sausage" and you cannot
find it over here in the USA, unless you grind your own.

Old March 16th, 2014, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2014-03-10 10:02:23 -0500, Tim C. said:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 06:45:47 -0500, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2014030906454746213-stephedanospam@maccom :

This is why the authors of the US Constitution did not make
the new nation a Democracy. They knew rule by the Demos meant mob
rule. That is why they made the USA a Republic.

Do you think Democracy and being a Republic are mutually exclusive?

As a form of government, of course. But in the context of "democracy"
meaning the people have a vote in a Republic, no problem.

So -- has the topic of a Constitution of some kind been mooted in the UK?

Old March 16th, 2014, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2014-03-11 04:29:53 -0500, Martin said:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:02:23 +0100, "Tim C." wrote:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 06:45:47 -0500, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2014030906454746213-stephedanospam@maccom :

This is why the authors of the US Constitution did not make
the new nation a Democracy. They knew rule by the Demos meant mob
rule. That is why they made the USA a Republic.

Do you think Democracy and being a Republic are mutually exclusive?

I wrongly assumed he was joking initially. Sounded very much like recent quotes
of Putin.

ad hominem