Costa Rica trip advice needed - family trip in Summer 2006

Old November 7th, 2005, 03:32 AM
S_S

Default Costa Rica trip advice needed - family trip in Summer 2006

Hi - I'm beginning to plan our trip (2 adults, one 8 yr old) to Costa
Rica for next summer. I know that is not the best season, but of
course it works best for our schedule - probably in August.

We'd like to be able to relax as well as visit some beaches, rain
forests and volcanos. Does anyone have any ideas on one place we could
stay for 5-6 days and accomplish all that ?

Does anyone have any experience with some all inclusive vacations
(haven't ever tried this before) in Costa Rica?

Thanks! S.

Old November 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM

"S_S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - I'm beginning to plan our trip (2 adults, one 8 yr old) to Costa
Rica for next summer. I know that is not the best season, but of
course it works best for our schedule - probably in August.

We'd like to be able to relax as well as visit some beaches, rain
forests and volcanos. Does anyone have any ideas on one place we could
stay for 5-6 days and accomplish all that ?

Does anyone have any experience with some all inclusive vacations
(haven't ever tried this before) in Costa Rica?

Thanks! S.

If you only have 5 or 6 days, a package might work out best for you.
Subscribe to the travelzoo.com newsletter on their website - short packages
to Costa Rica come up frequently, and you don't have to book very far ahead
to go there.

We have gone on our own and on a tour. The tour was two weeks and included
a lot that we would have done anyhow, so it made sense.

You have a tall order, though. The rain forest is on the East coast, the
volcanoes are in the Central region, and the nice beaches are in the
northwest (Guanacaste). I think you can fly directly into Guanacaste from
points in the US now, not sure of that. The main airport is in San Jose, so
you'll probably spend your first night there. Consider skipping the rain
forest, and stopping at Arenal volcano on the way to a nice beach hotel in
Guanacaste instead. Arenal is active, and there are many places to stay
with full views of the volcano. We stayed a night in a cabin community, and
our cabin had a huge window that let us watch the minor eruptions right from
our bed. It kept my wife up half the night. Near there, you can find
jungle boat/float rides with a naturist, and there are plenty of unfamiliar
critters to see; from poisonous tree frogs to sloths to monkeys and lizards,
and many kinds of birds both big and small.

There are very nice beaches with moderate surf in Guanacaste. We stayed at
Flamingo Beach (Flamingo Beach Hotel), which is a mile-long crescent. We
went horseback riding at another nearby beach, and it was equally nice.

There are dry jungles in that area, and I'm sure your 8yo would thrill to a
'canopy tour' - a pully ride from cables suspended high in the trees. You
will too.

Driving isn't very challenging in CR, and rentals are moderately priced.
Bus service goes absolutely everywhere, but only the main inter-city routes
are modern. Private buses are former school buses, wildly painted and
chromed, and heavily bejangled. They look like fun, but we never had the
opportunity.

Costa Rican food is weighted toward carnivores, and their beef and pork are
quite wonderful. The food is not particularly exotic, nor is it hotly
spiced. You can buy beautiful fruits at roadside stands everywhere, so
carry a knife with you to cut it up with.

Do have fun. There are plenty of reference websites for Costa Rica, and
lots of companies looking for your business, so you should have no trouble
putting together exactly what you want.

Keith

Old November 7th, 2005, 10:34 PM
G&G

A nice all-inclusive is Melia Playa Conchal. All the rain forests are NOT
on the East Coast.
Aernal is a must.
Buy Frommers Guide to Costa Rica. It is very enlightening.
We've been there 5 times on our own and visited most of the country.
Pura Vida,
oups.com...