We bartered for Paris lodgings

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:52 PM
Barbara & Gene

Default We bartered for Paris lodgings

Relax, this is not a commercial message. CASE HISTORY:

We rented an apartment in Paris last May that had been posted by an
online rental agent. The apartment's owner observed that the agency,
which reps many Paris apartments, shot a group of interior pictures,
added some descriptive copy and plugged the listing into their
website. When a tenant signs up, the agency collects 5 percent of the
fee. No advertising or promotion support is involved. "Why don't you
make your own website and shoot your own superior photos? Why don't
you post your offering on newsgroups every couple of months?", we
asked.
"Because I don't know how!" said the apartment owner.

"It's easy," and we made him www.ile-st-louis.com, paying $5.41 for
the domain registration and a bit more for the hosting. We hadn't had
the opportunity to shoot proper pictures but we did have enough
souvenir snaps, shot casually, to slap together a site. Now we're
returning to the Paris apartment October 5 to reshoot everything (with
proper lighting - www.pixsnap.com/normal.htm). In exchange, we're
getting two weeks FREE!.

Here's my point (at long last!). There are Vacation Exchange clubs and
agencies all over the globe. But not everyone can participate. Timing
can be a problem. Sometimes location or capacity is a problem. When we
had our place on Cape Cod we swapped it with a Marin County family and
it worked out great. But we've left the Cape and would not swap our
present dwelling because it's just too full of personal clutter.

We'd love to go to Ireland, Russia, Egypt, Scotland, Sicily, Provence,
Italy, Greece, Seattle, Jackson Hole, WY, and a few dozen other
places. Since I'm retired and on a limited budget, it would be nice if
we could get to visit any or all of them by bartering a website for a
period of lodgings.

We think there are others who have some photographic skills and basic
site building ability who would love to barter for accommodations. We
think there are people who have under-utilized dwellings who would
love to see them produce revenue via the internet. (If you check the
bottom of the Paris website we built, you'll see that it has had 286
hits since being built in mid-June and has yielded three different
sets of tenants.)

If this sounds good to you, zap us an email. We've just invested
another $5.41 and registered a website, www.holidaybarter.com, and
sent it to a free hosting outfit. It's to be used at no cost by any
and all who'd like to trade their photographic/web-building skills for
lodgings and by those whose farmhouse in Tuscany or penthouse is Rio
is awaiting occupancy. This is to be strictly non-commercial. We'll
filter all posts that are suspicious. For providing free hosting,
Netfirms.com imposes banner ads. If holidaybarter.com takes off, we'll
move it to an inexpensive, ad-free host.

Let us know where you'd like to go or what lodgings you have to offer.
Will get back to you when we return from Paris ... maybe before, since
the apartment is online.

Sayonara,
Barbara & Gene

Old September 23rd, 2003, 07:39 PM
Mark Roberts

(Barbara & Gene) wrote:

Relax, this is not a commercial message.

Riiiiight...

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:23 PM
Paul Heslop

Mark Roberts wrote:

(Barbara & Gene) wrote:

Relax, this is not a commercial message.

Riiiiight...

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing
www.robertstech.com

Yeah, they had me fooled too, I thought they were doing it out of the
good of their hearts.
--
Paul. (Next in line , Close one eye, Just walk by)
Not what it seems...
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:45 PM
Barbara& Gene

BUSTED, er....I think. ???

Your website describes you as a writer (albiet a victim of plagiarism).
Why waste words when you can say it all with, "Riiiiight."
Witty enough to get my attention, yessiree! Is it possible that you have
a thought or more to go with your word?

What is suspect about our post? Nothing is for sale, nothing is
being charged. The ad banners are incidental because they
are the compensation the free host service requires, but
otherwise there is no promotional component. We're
inviting people to pass their objectives and requirements
through us so we can match them intelligently and keep
email addresses away from the spammers.

Despite this, you detected our dark motives. Spell 'em, writer.

Now don't go away mad. At least you're smarter than
the bloke who posted below having digested all of the
abstract implications of your word.

In the land of the blind it's still possible to know it's
a duck when it quacks.

That's a meta4.tag.

Barbara & Gene

Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:03 PM
Barbara& Gene

BUSTED, er....I think. ???

Your website describes you as a writer (albeit a victim of plagiarism).
Why waste words when you can say it all with, "Riiiiight."
Witty enough to get my attention, yessiree! Is it possible that you have
a thought to go with your word?

What is suspect about our post? Nothing is for sale, nothing is
being charged. The ad banners are incidental because they
are the compensation the free host service requires, but
otherwise there is no promotional component. We're
inviting people to pass their objectives and requirements
through us so we can match them intelligently and keep
email addresses away from the spammers.

Despite this, you detected our dark motives. Spell 'em, writer.

Now don't go away mad. At least you're smarter than
the bloke who posted below having digested all the
abstract implications of your word.

In the land of the blind it's still possible to determine that it's
a duck if it quacks.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:09 PM
Michael Culley

"Barbara& Gene" wrote in message news
You message was spam, there is not question about that. When you get annoyed because your mailbox is full of spam, remember you are
one of them.

--
Michael Culley

Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:38 PM
Paul Heslop

Barbara& Gene wrote:

[...]

spammers, but touchy too :O)

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Tony Spadaro

You are a miserable little twit aren't you? While you're looking at the
spelling of Riiiight - you might look at your own signature, Barbara& -- is
that some sort of hip hop version of Barbara Anne? Is Barbara the way you
usually spell it at all - or don't you know. Are you someone not named
Barbara& Gene at all but yet another PITA spammer making up new identities
as he gets the old ones killfiled. Or are you just incredibly stupid? I
vote for the latter.
The complaints should be directed to .

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old September 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Giorgis

I don't know, we have become touchy with spammers.
This email was written specificaly. Spammers churn out machine created
posts.
Give the guy a break. You don't have to do business.

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Steven Scharf

(Barbara & Gene) wrote in message . com...
Relax, this is not a commercial message. CASE HISTORY:

Go away spammer.