Egypt info please?

Old March 30th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Tashi

They will do this no matter what am I buying!? I mean, they won't order
tea if I'm buying souvenirs worth just 10 dollars?

HERE IS THE TRICK TO BARGAINING. SEE SOMETHING YOU LIKE.. PICK IT UP LOOK
AT IT. PUT IT DOWN WALK AWAY.. THE SELLER WILL OFFER AN OUTRAGEOUS PRICE.
WALK BACK TO WHAT YOU WANT, PICK IT UP AND SAY "$$$ FOR THIS??--I WOULDN'T
PAY $$$ (1/4 PRICE OR LESS) PUT IT DOWN, START TO WALK AWAY, IF THE SELLER
DOESN'T OFFER YOU ANOTHER PRICE JUST KEEP WALKING AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE WHO
SELLS THE SAME THING (YOU NOW KNOW THE PRICE OF WHAT IT SHOULD BE
APPROXIMATELY) BARGAINING IS AN ART, IT CAN TAKE 5 MIN, IT CAN TAKE DAYS!
THE MORE DRAMATIC (IN A FUNNY WAY YOU ARE THE BETTER THE BARGAIN)
I BOUGHT THIS BEAUTIFUL CARVED WOODEN CHAIR IN HAITI FOR $25usd IT TOOK ME
2 DAYS TO GET THE PRICE DOWN FROM $250!!
IN MALI IT TOOK AROUND 2HRS TO BUY A MUDPRINT CLOTH... HAD TO HAVE TEA,
ASKED ABOUT THE SELLERS FAMILY, AILS, FRIENDS, ETC.. AND SHE ASKED ALL ABOUT
MINE. THEN STARTED TO BARGAIN.

Wait... Do I pronounce this LA infront of No Shukran or it's just No
Shukran?

NO=LA THANKS=SHUKRAN
LA SHUKRAN=NO THANKS.

O.k. Just what is a common bowl? Plate?! Dish?....IT'S A UTENSIL YOU WOULD
SHARE WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHEN EATING This about shaking hamds with your
left hand is inpolite everywhere in the world. This I know.MOSTLY IN THE
MUSLIM WORLD CAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TOILET PAPER TO WIPE THIER BUTTS.. OH
YEA BRING TOILET PAPER WITH YOU, SAVE NAPKINS IN A RESTAURANT ETC..
TOILETS ARE MOSTLY SQUAT.

What is Sheesha? WATER BONG TO SMOKE

What is PT, ant what is LE? LE IS POUND PT IS PIASTERS(SP)

So it's fresh, then? ) VERY

O.k. Good to know this. I usually tend not to trust people who try to
"drag" you off the main street....MOSTLY THE TOUTS ARE AROUND THE MAJOR
ATTRACTIONS. ONE GUY INSISTED WE FOLLOW HIM INTO A TOMB OF SORTS, WE WERE
WEARY OF COURSE HE HAD A FLASHLIGHT WITH HIM AND WE WENT INTO THIS TUNNEL
AND HE SHOWED US A HIEROGLYPHIC WITH SPECTACTULAR COLOR, A RARITY IN THOSE
EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS. PAID THE GUY A FEW PIASTERS (MADE HIM VERY
UPSET) GAVE HIM A LE AND HE WAS MORE HAPPY.

By interesting expirience, you mean something positive, right?
Like interesting shops and stuff? MOST OF THE TIME.

O.k. Good to know. Can I get something if I drink (I know it's bad) local
water? HEP A B C, CHOLERA, DIPTHIRIA.MMM JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THAT YOUR NOT
IMMUNE TOO. I WENT SWIMMING IN THE NILE AND LOST MY VOICE FOR 3 DAYS!!
JUST SAY NO TO ICE CUBES TOO.

How do I know if the food I buy in the bazaar is cooked, boiled.....?
WELL, RICE--BOILED, SOME STUFF DEEPFRIED, MEAT THAT'S NOT BLOODY ETC..

OH YEA, STAY AWAY FROM UNCOOKED VEGIES ALSO LIKE TOMATOES, LETTUCE..
PROBABLY WASHED IN LOCAL WATER. I CAN SAY THIS, IF YOUR GOING TO BE STAYING
FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, INTRODUCE THE WATER TO YOUR SYSTEM SLOWLY,
LIKE, BRUSH YOU TEETH AND RINSE(DON'T SWALLOW) WITH THE WATER DON'T HAVE
CUPFULS OF THE STUFF THOUGH IT'S LIKE SYSTEM OVERLOAD WITH FOREIGN BACTERIA.

So I should leave my suspicion that everyone will try to rip me off at
home? NO, USE YOUR COMMON SENSE, GET A FEEL FOR THINGS BEFORE YOU JUMP
INTO SOMETHING. EVERYONE WANTS TO MAKE A BUCK AND THEY ARE JUST LOOKING
FOR THAT NAIVE PERSON TO GET IT.

Did you give her this the first day when you came to the hotel? I ACTUALLY
WANTED MY CLOTHES WASHED IN A WASHING MACHINE, NOT BY HAND. THE HOTEL
CHARGES ARE EXPENSIVE SO I ASKED THE MAID, SHE SAID YES BUT THEY HAD TO BE
AIR DRYED AND THAT I COULDN'T SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE. AFTER I GOT ALL MY
CLOTHES BACK, I GAVE HER THE $.

--
"When one realizes that life is worthless
he either commits suicide or travels. ~ Edward Dahlberg
"Big_B" wrote in message

"Tashi" wrote in message
Good health and high spirits!
some info for you.

$1.00 US = approx 5.8 Egp
Everything in Egypt is cheap comparitively.. you can buy cheap souvieners
or expensive ones the trick is to Bargain....and bargain well. Don't
haggle over a dollar though, keep in mind these people make hardly a
thing. general rule.. if they say for example: $300 for something it is
usually good to start the price at like $75 or so.. usually 1/3-1/4 of
what they are asking.

Wow?! 1/4 od a price! Good. This I will remember.

(keep in mind, the mashed beans they serve for lunch, dinner *foul madas*
is usually a breakfast dish for Egyptians).

Oh....
I think I'll pass on beans for breakfast.

--many shop keepers will order tea for you and talk for awhile before you
strike up a bargain.

They will do this no matter what am I buying!? I mean, they won't order
tea if I'm buying souvenirs worth just 10 dollars?

LEARN THESE WORDS: LA=NO SHUKRAN=THANK YOU

Wait... Do I pronounce this LA infront of No Shukran or it's just No
Shukran?

NEVER SHAKE OR EAT OUT OF A COMMON BOWL WITH YOUR LEFT HAND.

O.k. Just what is a common bowl? Plate?! Dish?....
This about shaking hamds with your left hand is inpolite everywhere in the
world. This I know.

These were some of the prices when I was there. However you should look
to see if these attractions are covered in your tour. Usually they are.

Yeah. I have very similar attractions list on my tour.

I stayed at the Pharaohs Hotel
CAIRO
Citadel Of Salah Al-Din--20LE
The Egyptian Museum--20LE
The Royal Mummies Hall--40LE
The Cairo Tower--30LE
Scarabee Papyrus (where they sell Papyrus paper) Can be pricey..
I bought around 5 pcs at a price of 138 LE (these prices are set)
The Third Pyramid, Giza--10LE
Giza Pyramids--20LE

Well, thease prices seem reasonable.

ASWAN
Train to Aswan from Cairo. 14HRS 69LE. checked out the market, the dam
and just hung out for a couple of days exploring. ASWAN sells the
cheapest Sheesha's.

14 hours!? Than God for sleeping carts. )
What is Sheesha?

TAKE THE TIME AND THE $ TO FLY TO ABU SIMBLE.. WORTH IT. At that time it
was I think about $100 to fly there.
200 PT. for local fees
400 PT for Guide fees at Abu Simble temple
30LE Abu Simbel Two Temples

What is PT, ant what is LE?
I thought LE was Egyptian pound, but now....

Stayed at the WINDSOR HOTEL in Luxor. Eat at local places, try the
pigeon--usually in a cage as soon as you enter the restaurant.

So it's fresh, then? )

(Many *touts will be around to show you things.. if you follow one do pay
them a dollar or something.. that is usually how they make their $) They
are not out to rob you.

O.k. Good to know this. I usually tend not to trust people who try to
"drag" you off the main street....

To go to Hurghada you have to go by Convo... No ship route cause it's
through the desert.
Hurghada is a huge tourist area so expect to pay more, there are many
clubs and restaurants etc.. take the time to go on a side trip into the
eastern desert.
while there find a unique store called the MEYA MEYA. It is the only
place I found that sells nice unique souviners that are not the typical
tourist trash souvieners. The owner of the store is called Sam very nice
guy..

O.k. So a trip to east sahara, meya meya store...
I know we have an option to go to east sahara so I will defenetly use this
option.

Don't be fooled by people who *lead you to someones store, sometimes the
store can be good.. these people get commisions to get people to the
store... can be an interesting experience.

By interesting expirience, you mean something positive, right?
Like interesting shops and stuff?

In restaurants/souks... Make sure that YOU break the seal on the water
bottle... refuse it if it is already opened.. they like to refill the
bottle with local water in some places.

O.k. Good to know. Can I get something if I drink (I know it's bad) local
water?

When ordering food you can look at what someone else is eating and say "I
want that"..

That is very uneuropean, but I'll try it....

http://touregypt.net/recipes/

Thanks for the link. Very useful.

Do try foods at markets and bazaars.. just use your common sense, if the
guy who is handling your food is picking his nose or has very bad hygiene
skip

O.k.

it.. make sure though that ALL food is throughly cooked, boiled.

How do I know if the food I buy in the bazaar is cooked, boiled.....?

Oranges, bananas, mangos good choices.. nuts, cheese, figs etc. also good.

O.k. So Fruits that can be peeled off are all o.k., everything else try to
skip.

most of all relax and have fun, explore and don't take things too
seriously... realize that these people are all trying to make a living,
not to rip you off.. well not always!! Tourism is the leading job for
most and some people are degraded to handing out toilet paper to tourists
as a job!!

So I should leave my suspicion that everyone will try to rip me off at
home?

If you want superior service in hotels.. tip your cleaning person
generously.. I gave her $10 for 3days and I got my clothes washed, dryed
ironed, chocolates, flowers, fancy towels all made up in the shapes of
animals and shells.

Impressive! All this for 10 dollars!
Did you give her this the first day when you came to the hotel?

Also,, tip the Person you want to tip IN PERSON Don't give the $ to the
manager or someone... the person who you want to get the $ won't get it
usually.

O.k. I'll try to remember all this.

Thanks a lot for this post(s). You have been extreamlly helpfull.

Old March 31st, 2005, 08:52 AM
Big_B

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:31:08 GMT, Tashi wrote:

HERE IS THE TRICK TO BARGAINING. SEE SOMETHING YOU LIKE.. PICK IT UP LOOK
AT IT. PUT IT DOWN WALK AWAY.. THE SELLER WILL OFFER AN OUTRAGEOUS PRICE.
WALK BACK TO WHAT YOU WANT, PICK IT UP AND SAY "$$$ FOR THIS??--I WOULDN'T
PAY $$$ (1/4 PRICE OR LESS) PUT IT DOWN, START TO WALK AWAY, IF THE SELLER
DOESN'T OFFER YOU ANOTHER PRICE JUST KEEP WALKING AND FIND SOMEONE ELSE WHO
SELLS THE SAME THING (YOU NOW KNOW THE PRICE OF WHAT IT SHOULD BE
APPROXIMATELY) BARGAINING IS AN ART, IT CAN TAKE 5 MIN, IT CAN TAKE DAYS!

Oh, this I will have to try!
Could be fun.

THE MORE DRAMATIC (IN A FUNNY WAY YOU ARE THE BETTER THE BARGAIN)
I BOUGHT THIS BEAUTIFUL CARVED WOODEN CHAIR IN HAITI FOR $25usd IT TOOK ME
2 DAYS TO GET THE PRICE DOWN FROM $250!!

Wow! Now this is good business.

IN MALI IT TOOK AROUND 2HRS TO BUY A MUDPRINT CLOTH... HAD TO HAVE TEA,
ASKED ABOUT THE SELLERS FAMILY, AILS, FRIENDS, ETC.. AND SHE ASKED ALL ABOUT
MINE. THEN STARTED TO BARGAIN.

And this bargain went the same like the above? They gave you an outrageous
price, then you cut it for 2/3.....?

NO=LA THANKS=SHUKRAN
LA SHUKRAN=NO THANKS.

Ok. Now I got it.

OH YEA BRING TOILET PAPER WITH YOU, SAVE NAPKINS IN A RESTAURANT ETC..
TOILETS ARE MOSTLY SQUAT.

So if I go into a toilette in a bar in Cairo I shouldn't hope for toilette
paper?
Oh....

PAID THE GUY A FEW PIASTERS (MADE HIM VERY
UPSET) GAVE HIM A LE AND HE WAS MORE HAPPY.

So piasters are to a le like cent to a dollar?
100 piasters = 1 Le
So if I tip people one Le that is enough? It isn't stingy?

HEP A B C, CHOLERA, DIPTHIRIA.MMM JUST ABOUT ANYTHING THAT YOUR NOT
IMMUNE TOO.

Thanks. This just made me feel better.

I WENT SWIMMING IN THE NILE AND LOST MY VOICE FOR 3 DAYS!!
JUST SAY NO TO ICE CUBES TOO.

Why did you lose your voice? You drank the water....?
So, no to ice, also. That goes for any ice? In the hotels, also?

WELL, RICE--BOILED, SOME STUFF DEEPFRIED, MEAT THAT'S NOT BLOODY ETC..
OH YEA, STAY AWAY FROM UNCOOKED VEGIES ALSO LIKE TOMATOES, LETTUCE..

Damn. I love tomatoes.
But then again, I also love rice. Oh well, I gues rice it is then....

PROBABLY WASHED IN LOCAL WATER. I CAN SAY THIS, IF YOUR GOING TO BE STAYING
FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, INTRODUCE THE WATER TO YOUR SYSTEM SLOWLY,
LIKE, BRUSH YOU TEETH AND RINSE(DON'T SWALLOW) WITH THE WATER DON'T HAVE
CUPFULS OF THE STUFF THOUGH IT'S LIKE SYSTEM OVERLOAD WITH FOREIGN BACTERIA.

Why would anyone swallow watter when washing your teeth?!
Luckully I never do this.

I ACTUALLY
WANTED MY CLOTHES WASHED IN A WASHING MACHINE, NOT BY HAND. THE HOTEL
CHARGES ARE EXPENSIVE SO I ASKED THE MAID, SHE SAID YES BUT THEY HAD TO BE
AIR DRYED AND THAT I COULDN'T SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE. AFTER I GOT ALL MY
CLOTHES BACK, I GAVE HER THE $.

Well, this sound very fair.
But I don't think I will need to wash any clothes. Although, I do like to
travel light.... )

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:06 AM
peaceofmind

since you will only be in cairo 3 days you will ONLY be able to see the
museum and the pyramids in that time. they are on the same metro line so
that is not a problem. you may want to get a cheaper hotel in
giza(pyramid area)

Old April 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Canopus

"Big_B" wrote in message

"Tashi" wrote in message

Been there done that.. Questions for you.. when r u going? where r u

from?

I'm going in three to four week. In mid April.
I'm from Europe.

what is your experience travelling (backpacker or luxury)

Does luxury count when you travel on organised tours?
This is an organised tour.

How long are you going?

12 days.

Where are you staying in each of the places and finally

Hotels in Hurgada, Cairo and Asuan, ship while on the Nile.

How r u moving around Egypt (alone or with a grp/car/train/plane)

Moving around Egypt with train and ship.

This is the route: CairotrainLuxorshipAsuanshipHurgada

So any help on anything would be appriciated!
Prices, food, tips, what to buy for gifts.....anything....

Having had much experience in Egypt I can tell you the following. As you
are on an organized pre paid trip you should find that food is included and
you will eat at your hotel etc. When eating out on organized tours you will
be taken to a restaurant that has been pre chosen and if you have to pay for
your meal there it will probably be less than Western prices. If you have
time off from organized itinerary you will find that local cafes selling
Egyptian food are very cheap and good if you go to the correct ones, choose
eating places that are relatively busy as the good ones attract lots of
local clients. A good plate of ful (beans) including bread, salad and other
things should cost you about £3 average, but, prices can vary drastically.

Buying: you will probably be taken to markets to wander around for a while
so you will probably end up at the main tourist markets. Bargain strongly,
Egyptians are excellent at business and can sell you a cheap Japanese made
trinket for much money and you will go away happy thinking you have a
valuable antique :-) It's a game, play it well and enjoy yourself. You
will also find that you end up visiting papyrus shops, carpet factories,
perfume shops, ceramic shops etc. as part of your tour to such an extent
that it can often interfere with visiting sites. Tour companies have to do
this as part of their license agreement so don't bother complaining...you
don't have to buy anything in them and often you get some refreshments there
as well.

Treat an organized tour as a taster and if you like Egypt (most people do)
plan to go back there by yourself so as to see the real Egypt, hang out in
coffee shops and meet people.

Enjoy yourself,

Rob

Old April 11th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Canopus

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:45:07 GMT, "Tashi" wrote:

|Good health and high spirits!
|some info for you.

Thanks for that. Could be very useful.

I will be in Cairo for only three nights, probably May 2006. Not on a
tour. Extension of time may be possible, but not likely.

Any suggestions for a three-night, incl two days, stay would be
appreciated. I know it's too short, but I wish to at least see the
Pyramids and the Museum, plus whatever else of Ancient Egypt I can in
that short time.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

You will be hard pushed to do much more in three days. Unless you are doing
a flying visit to places so you can say "seen that, done that" then you need
a day for the museum and a day for the Giza Pyramids (El Haram). Try to get
to the Dashur pyramid site near the southern suburbs of Cairo which have two
spectacular pyramids. There is the Red Pyramid which you can go down into
and while you are in the bottom chambers take note of how they are
constructed. They used large blocks carved perfectly around corners which
add nothing to the structural strength of the pyramid, but, would have been
very difficult to do...no one can say why they did it, but, you find this
construction technique on only the very oldest structures. The there is
also there the Bent Pyramid with much of its white facing stone still
intact, a marvel to behold and gives you a true idea what they all must have
been like at one time. Dashur is not frequented too much by tourists so the
atmosphere is more sublime.

Rob

Old April 11th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Canopus

"peaceofmind" wrote in message
since you will only be in cairo 3 days you will ONLY be able to see the
museum and the pyramids in that time. they are on the same metro line so
that is not a problem. you may want to get a cheaper hotel in
giza(pyramid area)

The Giza pyramids are not on a metro line at all. You either go by taxi or
if you know what you are doing take a mini bus from the bus station behind
the museum. There are no cheap hotels near the pyramids, there are in down
town Cairo where you can easily get transport to the pyramids and also be in
the right area for night life.

Rob