Driving from south Wales to Windsor?

Old January 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
HH

Default Driving from south Wales to Windsor?

Please give me an estimate of the driving time by motorway from south Wales
to Windsor, with a deviation to Stonehenge. Many thanks.

Also, how long would it take if one avoided the motorways? In this case, can
you recommend a scenic route?

HH

Old January 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
c'mon baby light my feu

On Jan 17, 10:49 pm, "HH" wrote:
Please give me an estimate of the driving time by motorway from south Wales
to Windsor, with a deviation to Stonehenge. Many thanks.

Also, how long would it take if one avoided the motorways? In this case, can
you recommend a scenic route?

HH

4-5 hours

scenic bristol-bath-trowbridge-stone
henge-andover-m3-bagshot-ascot-great park-windsor

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison

"c'mon baby light my feu" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 17, 10:49 pm, "HH" wrote:
Please give me an estimate of the driving time by motorway from south

Wales
to Windsor, with a deviation to Stonehenge. Many thanks.

Also, how long would it take if one avoided the motorways? In this case,

can
you recommend a scenic route?

HH

4-5 hours

scenic bristol-bath-trowbridge-stone
henge-andover-m3-bagshot-ascot-great park-windsor

Assume you start from Cardiff. Use the M4/M48 as far as Chepstow and make
a quick side trip up the A466 to Tintern Abbey. Back at Chepstow cross the
Severn Bridge on the M48 and continue on the M4 then down the A46 to Bath.
Probably 3 or 4 hours allowing a stop at Tinterne. Ignore Tintern and I'd
guess a bit more than an hour. Bath is a day stop all on its' own. Bath
has several "Park and Ride" car parks on the periphery. You park for free
and pay for the bus into town - GBP2.10 per person I think. Given the
traffic in Bath I use it every time.

The obvious route from Bath to Stonehenge is A36 then A303 except I'd leave
the A36 just south of Warminster and cut across through Chitterne and
Shrewton. That bit is about an hour (I did it last Sunday).
Alternatively come South out of Bath on the A367 through Radstock, pick up
the A37 through Shepton Mallet and continue to Castle Cary (maybe 45
minutes) which is a nice little village with one of the smallest goals
you'll ever encounter and a fine Market House.

From there to Stonehenge you can either go to Wincanton and along the A303
(about an hour) or cut across through the villages of Bruton, Brewham,
Maiden Bradley, Longbridge Deverill and Sutton Veney to join the A36 just
south of Warminster and then pick up the B390 via Chitterne and Shrewton to
Stonehenge. Slower roads but much nicer that the A303 - maybe 90 minutes.

The obvious route from Stonehenge to Windsor is A303/M3 all the way to the
M25, up to M4, back along the M4 towards Bath(!) and finally the A355 to
Windsor. About 90 minutes but beware of the traffic in the early mornings
which could double that journey time. The last bit can be shortened
distance wise by A322/A332 but I'm not sure it's easier or quicker.

The alternative is south from Amesbury/Stonehenge to Salisbury (30 minutes)
beautiful Cathedral. The A30 through Stockbridge B3049 to Winchester
(another Cathedral city) A31 to Guildford (modern Cathedral - there's a
theme developing here!) and then A3/M25/M4/A355. That drive alone is
probably 3 hours minimum.

You don't say when you propose to do all this. The A303 past Stonehenge is
a major traffic artery and at holiday times (which includes Friday nights
and Sunday nights all year) can become very (very) congested. A two hour
journey along the A303 at such times can easily become 3 hours.

Old January 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:49:28 -0800, "HH" wrote:

Please give me an estimate of the driving time by motorway from south Wales
to Windsor, with a deviation to Stonehenge. Many thanks.

3 hours + stomehenge time unless on a peak time weekend, easter or
summer holiday time, when it could take much longer

Also, how long would it take if one avoided the motorways? In this case, can
you recommend a scenic route?

if you want to really take a scenic route you will need some decent OS
maps that show the minor roads. You could deviate into the hills to
the north of south wales and you could explore salisbury plain area by
going to the south of the A303 on minor roads. (The 303 is itself more
scenic than the M4). Plan to progress at about 30 mph.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Miss L. Toe

. ..

www.theaa.co.uk has a route planner which will help you with all that.

Old January 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Clohogue

On Jan 17, 10:49 pm, "HH" wrote:
[...]

From there to Stonehenge you can either go to Wincanton and along the A303
[...]

Thanks for this lovely detailed reply (to somebody else's query!). I've
saved a copy as we intend to go from Ireland to France via UK landbridge in
September. We are going to take 3 days or so to cross Wales/England from
Pembroke to Folkestone and Stonehenge is one place we do want to divert to.
On the way back from France we intend doing the same thing, spending 3 days
or so crossing UK perhaps diverting to Oxford.

I had printed out routes from AA website, but personal suggestions are great
as a computer routefinder doesn't generally take into account scenic routes
(unless of course you give it specific suggestions using the "via" option.
I've got a Tom Tom so that should help.

Any suggestions for cheap/convenient places to spend our overnights would be
welcome. I had thought of Premier Travel Inns but according to their website
they will only allow 2 adults per room and we will have 3, we preferably
would rather a triple room. Travelodge's look like good value if booked in
advance. Any other suggestions of either hotels or which towns to stop over
at anybody??

Thanks
Anne Marie