buying LHD vehicle

Old November 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tam

Default buying LHD vehicle

Hi all who know most about everything European.
My wife absolutely refuses to fly and I am not going by train or bus.
I want to drive from Bonnie Scotland to much
warmer-southern-anywhere-probably- Spain in January coming back April.
Will it be better value for money buying a vehicle in France or Holland to
drive down.
I intend to use it to drive around Europe over the next 2 or 3 years.
I was thinking of a big tank like the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon although I m
a bit concerned about the meadieval Spanish towns.
Done it before in my RHD BMW Series5 and Audi 80- pretty hairy in the
mountains.
When I was 35 years younger I drove 2000 miles around Spain in a
mini--seemed quite comfy--at the time.
Looking forward to your advice.
Tam

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"tam" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi all who know most about everything European.
My wife absolutely refuses to fly and I am not going by train or bus.
I want to drive from Bonnie Scotland to much
warmer-southern-anywhere-probably- Spain in January coming back April.
Will it be better value for money buying a vehicle in France or Holland to
drive down.
I intend to use it to drive around Europe over the next 2 or 3 years.
I was thinking of a big tank like the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon although I
m a bit concerned about the meadieval Spanish towns.

IME, in a big 4x4, it is almost irrelevant which side the steering wheel is
on, unless you are in the habit of driving too close behind other vehicles.
So, you could consider buying in the UK and both getting a chance to find
out if there are any faults with the vehicle before your trip and getting
used to the size in an area you are familair with. I have had an interesting
moment in a French village, taking a trailer down a steep 3m wide road,
which met a similar width road at a T junction, with a deep ditch on the
inside of the corner, where familiarity with where the vehicle corners were
was rather important.

Colin Bignell

Old November 21st, 2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tam

" There is 56% tax on cars in Holland
--

Does that apply to used vehicles I will be looking for an 8 to 10 year old
machine.

Old November 21st, 2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tam

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"tam" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

Had some exciting times on the coast road in the Beemer at the med
Spanish-French border because of not seeing round the corners in my RHD but
of course I was low on the road.
I see Ford V6 petrol 4x4s are dirt cheap in the UK-if I got one with a gas
conversion is gas available in France and Spain.

Diesel Toyotas and Nissans appear to be over priced in the UK ie 100000 mile
Landcruiser 10 years old £3000-£4500 depending on condition.

On the trailer thing- my nephew had a head on coming together with a Transit
pulling a builders trailer last week.
He was in his Range Rover they had to cut the door off to get him out.
He only had bruises and whiplash.

Thats a good point about testing/familiarisation in the UK and I have my
fully equipped work shop here.
Tam

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tam

" There is 56% tax on cars in Holland
--

Does that apply to used vehicles I will be looking for an 8 to 10 year old
machine.

The second hand price is proportionately higher than in UK as a result of
the
extra tax.
--

I suppose as a cycling enthusiast I should approve of that.
Tam

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:41:08 GMT, "tam"
wrote:

Hi all who know most about everything European.
My wife absolutely refuses to fly and I am not going by train or bus.
I want to drive from Bonnie Scotland to much
warmer-southern-anywhere-probably- Spain in January coming back April.
Will it be better value for money buying a vehicle in France or Holland to
drive down.
I intend to use it to drive around Europe over the next 2 or 3 years.
I was thinking of a big tank like the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon although I m
a bit concerned about the meadieval Spanish towns.
Done it before in my RHD BMW Series5 and Audi 80- pretty hairy in the
mountains.
When I was 35 years younger I drove 2000 miles around Spain in a
mini--seemed quite comfy--at the time.
Looking forward to your advice.
Tam

Two thoughts.

Consider a "wanted to buy" ad in your local paper. There's
always the chance that someone has driven a LHD vehicle from
Europe to your district and would be glad to part with it
for a reasonable price. Then it will be registered locally
and covered by your own insurance etc.

And, just in case you're not a Scot or European national,
consider this: http://www.eurodrive.renault.com/

Unfortunately, it's not for UK or EU citizens. Brilliant
system for anyone else considering an extended driving tour
in Europe.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"tam" wrote in message
.uk...
I see Ford V6 petrol 4x4s are dirt cheap in the UK-if I got one with a
gas conversion is gas available in France and Spain....

I've not driven in Spain for a good many years. France used to be seen as a
leader in the use of LPG - I even had a dual-fuel hire car on one occasion.
However, I don't recall seeing any LPG recently in any small garages, so it
may well now be limited to Autororute service areas and possibly hypermarket
fuel stations. The main LPG supplier seems to be Antargaz; who may have more
information on their web site or even be able to supply a map of stations
selling it.

Colin Bignell

Old November 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
AnonyMouse

Done it before in my RHD BMW Series5 and Audi 80- pretty hairy in the
mountains.
When I was 35 years younger I drove 2000 miles around Spain in a
mini--seemed quite comfy--at the time.
Looking forward to your advice.
Tam

Hi,

then get a MM Traveller 1000

plenty of room.

but why the worry about the rhd car on the continent?

I drive a rhd saturn here in the states every day and it's not THAT
"hairy" even on twisty 2 lane roads... though you may have to wait a bit
to pass.

that's what passengers are for on those roads...

ttyl

akia

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike....

Following up to "tam" wrote:

I was thinking of a big tank like the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon although I m
a bit concerned about the meadieval Spanish towns.

it wont fit and it will pollute the place pointlessly (unless you are
going off paved roads*). Its also not as good for primary safety as a
car. Get something BMW 3 series sized at biggest.

* of which there are some in Spain but so few its not worth
considering.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike....

Following up to AnonyMouse wrote:

I drive a rhd saturn here in the states every day and it's not THAT
"hairy" even on twisty 2 lane roads... though you may have to wait a bit
to pass.

in town, what happens when a truck or bus stops and you need to pul
out but cant see?

that's what passengers are for on those roads...

i dont trust passengers with my life!
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email