Need info on shore excursions for Carnival Legend

Old October 30th, 2003, 04:58 PM
ChiliJim

Default Need info on shore excursions for Carnival Legend

Just got our docs for the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean sailing on
November 13. Ports of call are Belize,City, Colon, and Limon. The
docs were quite skimpy compared to what I'm used to, just a generic
flyer that covered ALL Carnival ships. Very little info or prices on
the shore excursions.
We like to plan our excursions beforehand, and cost is an issue. We
can get all kinds of information on the various options from the web,
but price info seems to be lacking. Does anybody have prices for the
shore excursions? I'm leaning toward going with the cruise line
excursions for the longer ones like the Mayan ruins at Belize.

Cruisemates was no help, or at least I couldn't find anything on their
site (boy, is that site hard to navigate).

TIA

Old October 30th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Eileen Garland

ChiliJim wrote:
Just got our docs for the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean sailing on
November 13. Ports of call are Belize,City, Colon, and Limon. The
docs were quite skimpy compared to what I'm used to, just a generic
flyer that covered ALL Carnival ships. Very little info or prices on
the shore excursions.

Look for independent tours and multiply the price by 2 or 3 and you'll
come close!

Eileen

Old October 30th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Becca

Just got our docs for the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean sailing on
November 13.

Here is a message I posted after my husband and I cruised on the
Legend in December:

In Belize, we took a ship's tour, we went to the Xunantunich Mayan
Site ($65.00, lunch and bottled water, included). I had already been
to Lamanai, and to Goff's Caye, and I wanted to see more ruins.

In Costa Rica, we took a cab to the Tortuguero Canal. We rode up the
canal on a small boat. We saw alligators, a few iguanas, 5-6 sloths,
blue herons, a basilisk lizard (they walk on water), butterflies and
many different birds. We also saw bats, and a few epiphytes in trees;
orchids, vanilla, bromeliads. It was a great tour. I saw more
wildlife on this tour, than I did on the Aerial Tram. After the canal
tour, he took us to a Chiquita banana plantation. He drove us into
town, giving us a tour of the city, then we went to his house, where
we saw his bananas. They were small, but very sweet. This tour was
$45.00 pp, and Carnival sells it for $80.00. You can buy this tour,
under the blue awnings, near the ship.

In Panama, we toured some forts and we went to the Gatun Locks.
Viewing the locks, was more fun, than going through the canal (it was,
for me). I learned more information about the Panama canal, touring
the locks, and we had a great view, of the workings of the locks.

Becca -----we had a great time on the Legend...

GGC http://www.ggc2004.com/
Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:06 AM
ChiliJim

Becca,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful, (unlike the other smart ass
response I got). I prefer to take the ship's tours for long
excursions, simply because you never know when the bus is going to
break down, or the taxi is going to have a flat tire. I have no
conception of the agony and expense of missing your ship's departure,
but I can imagine it's not a fun experience, one that I don't want to
experience! The Costa Rica deal looks sweet and I will look for the
blue awning. Thanks again.

Jim