Day trips from Arles in Provence

Old November 9th, 2003, 06:25 AM
6656

Default Day trips from Arles in Provence

We will be there in Decemeber and based in Arles.
Based on the weather what are day trips we can do from here. We are
interested in Historical buildings and other must see things.

Please suggest.
Old November 9th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We will be there in Decemeber and based in Arles.
Based on the weather what are day trips we can do from here. We are
interested in Historical buildings and other must see things.

Please suggest.

Beaux de Provence
Orange
Pont du Gard
Nimes
etc., etc., etc........

Gerrit

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

We will be there in Decemeber and based in Arles. Based on the
weather what are day trips we can do from here. We are interested in
Historical buildings and other must see things.

This is the perfect opportunity to pick up a Michelin Green Guide. It has a
map that rates locations by interest using one- to three-star ratings, and
then each one is described in detail in the text of the guide. It also
shows nicely doable routes you can take by car between the most interesting
attractions. This is all presented in a format, and with incredible detail,
that is completely impossible to even suggest in posts on Usenet.

Old November 16th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Xanthe

Ditto the rest - buy a good guide book.

I went there with a few friends, this past February, also stayed
mostly in Arles. It's a good central location for the area. A must
see thing for Arles is the Saturday market, where local vendors sell
local food products. Lots of fun.

My suggestions for sight-seeing day-trips are (1) Les Baux - very
beautiful, and if you climb to the top of village, you'll get a great
landscape of the surrounding area...if it is a windy day, (which it
was when we were there), be sure to bundle up properly...we
discovered, among other things, the power of the French 'mistral'....
(2) Avignon - majestic, amazing, lots to see for the day.

I also liked Pont de Gard, though it's hardly worth a whole day to
visit. Just the same, it's worth to marvel at ancient engineering.

Nimes was a bit of a disappointment, but we happened upon a bullfight
event there, in the center of the town, which proved interesting to
observe as a locals' activity, much like a soccer game or something of
that nature.

Aix-en-Provence is not bad, it's probably the most "happening" place
since there is a university in town. Also, it's the nearest place to
go, for nightlife.

Xanthe Sonza

Old November 17th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Mark Fagan

Uzès is a pretty town and especially good on market days. You could do a
tour of wine towns that are close together, such as Tavel and
Chateuneuf-du-Pape. There is a lot to do and a good guide (Michelin Green
by my choice). Jack's Provence section (www.jack-travel.com) is
comprehensive if eccentric. But his restaurant reccomendations have never
failed me.

"Mason Barge" wrote in message
On 8 Nov 2003 22:25:23 -0800, (6656) wrote:

We will be there in Decemeber and based in Arles.
Based on the weather what are day trips we can do from here. We are
interested in Historical buildings and other must see things.

Please suggest.

Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
Avignon
Aix (kind of a big town for a day but a must see)
Les Baux/St. Remy

I'll tell you what -- just buy an Eyewitness Provence, you will be
happy you did.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please

bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln