Oakland Airport

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Lee

Default Oakland Airport

Hi,
How long does it take to get from downtown San Francisco (Union Sq area) to
Oakland airport by taxi please, around 7am weekdays, and how much can I
expect the fare to be?

Is a there a better way of getting to Oakland airport, say by public
transport, at the same time of day?

Thanks, Lee.
Derby, UK.

Old October 17th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
How long does it take to get from downtown San Francisco (Union Sq area)

Oakland airport by taxi please, around 7am weekdays, and how much can I
expect the fare to be?

Thats a VERY bad time to make this trip by taxi.

Its quite a long way through absolutely horrendous traffic

Is a there a better way of getting to Oakland airport, say by public
transport, at the same time of day?

Darn right

Take Bart to the Oakland Coliseum station
and get the AIRBart shuttle to the airport
for a total cost of about $10 return

Keith

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM
pltrgyst

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:12:33 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

Take Bart to the Oakland Coliseum station
and get the AIRBart shuttle to the airport
for a total cost of about $10 return

Yes. The Bart train and AirBart shuttle worked wondefully for us on
our last trip.

-- Larry

Old October 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:45:33 +0000 (UTC), "Lee"
wrote:

Hi,
How long does it take to get from downtown San Francisco (Union Sq area) to
Oakland airport by taxi please, around 7am weekdays, and how much can I
expect the fare to be?

Is a there a better way of getting to Oakland airport, say by public
transport, at the same time of day?

You could walk if the Bay Bridge had sidewalks, but unfortunately
it doesn't, although it might have been faster some mornings.

As other have noted, BART to Coliseum station and the airport
shuttle are the way to go. Be sure to have some dollar bills as
my recollection is that the shuttle requires exact change.

Old October 17th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Miguel Cruz

pltrgyst wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote:
Take Bart to the Oakland Coliseum station and get the AIRBart shuttle to
the airport for a total cost of about $10 return

Yes. The Bart train and AirBart shuttle worked wondefully for us on
our last trip.

And for me on many, many trips. Can't see the reason to take a taxi - at 7am
on a weekday it will definitely be slower. And at any time of day it will be
less comfortable and more expensive.

miguel
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:28 PM
PTRAVEL

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
How long does it take to get from downtown San Francisco (Union Sq area)

Oakland airport by taxi please, around 7am weekdays, and how much can I
expect the fare to be?

Is a there a better way of getting to Oakland airport, say by public
transport, at the same time of day?

Thanks, Lee.
Derby, UK.

I can't imagine 7am on a weekday being a problem, as traffic will be going
in the opposite direction. Cab fare from Union Square can be in the $40-50
range.

Old October 19th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:28:42 -0700, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi,
How long does it take to get from downtown San Francisco (Union Sq area)

Oakland airport by taxi please, around 7am weekdays, and how much can I
expect the fare to be?

Is a there a better way of getting to Oakland airport, say by public
transport, at the same time of day?

I can't imagine 7am on a weekday being a problem, as traffic will be going
in the opposite direction. Cab fare from Union Square can be in the $40-50
range.

You have apparently never driven across the Bay Bridge at 7am on
a workday morning. And, of course, the Nimitz Freeway down to the
airport has very heavy traffic both ways.

I admit it is entirely possible to make that trip with some
alacrity, but what are the odds? Ever tried to cross the Bay
Bridge in either direction when there's been a minor accident on
it?

Old October 19th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Keith Willshaw

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

I can't imagine 7am on a weekday being a problem, as traffic will be going
in the opposite direction. Cab fare from Union Square can be in the

$40-50
range.

You have to be kidding. Traffic is worse westbound of course
but the freeway crawls through Oakland. I used to have to commute
to Alameda and know the journey well. All you need is one fender
bender and it stops dead.

Keith