Amsterdam in November

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
54321keith

Default Amsterdam in November

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November. We are in our
50s, like walking, cycling, fresh air, classical music and the odd art
gallery. Any suggestions for "must-sees", nice walks, trips out of
town, etc?

Thanks

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_1_]

54321keith:

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November.

Weatherwise, expect anything between -5C/snow and 15C/sunshine. It might
rain heavily as well.

We are in our 50s, like walking,

Amsterdam is a compact city. Walking would be all of the town's center,
especially the canal circles and the parks (Vondelpark, Sarphatipark)

cycling,

Rent a bike from Central Station, and do the "Waterland Route"! 20 miles
of typical Dutch landscape just north of Amsterdam, where you'll see
small unspoilt villages, wooden houses, old dikes and polders. Bring a
rain suit and pullovers.

fresh air,

Around Amsterdam?
Your best bet would be a sailing tour on the IJsselmeer or a walk on the
IJmuiden beach/harbor. In case you go there, eat fish! You won't get any
better fish than in IJmuiden.

classical music and the odd art gallery.

Plenty.
http://www.concertgebouw.nl/cgb/live....jsp?kindid=71
http://www.channels.nl/amsterdam/all_galeries.html

Any suggestions for "must-sees",

Do a canal boat ride. You won't regret it.

--
Erick
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

54321keith wrote:

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November. We are in our
50s, like walking, cycling, fresh air, classical music and the odd art
gallery. Any suggestions for "must-sees", nice walks, trips out of
town, etc?

For music- a visit to the Concertgebouw, both for the hall and the
orchestra. Art- several very fine galleries- if you had to choose one,
I'd recommend the Rijksmuseum- even if just for the Vermeer's!

Consider cycling in Amsterdam itself- it's a friendly city for bicycles
in my experience, and a nice way to get around. We did it in fairly
chilly October weather and it was fine.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote:

54321keith:

[]
Any suggestions for "must-sees",

Do a canal boat ride. You won't regret it.

I've never done one- maybe I should consider it!

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
jack-travel

On 1 Sep 2006 08:18:44 -0700, "54321keith"
wrote:

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November. We are in our
50s, like walking, cycling, fresh air, classical music and the odd art
gallery. Any suggestions for "must-sees", nice walks, trips out of
town, etc?

Thanks

Make a pleasant trip to
http://www.jack-travel.com/Amsterdam...sPageRight.htm
and you will have all the answers

Jack
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson[_1_]

wrote:

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November. We are in our
50s, like walking, cycling, fresh air, classical music and the odd art
gallery. Any suggestions for "must-sees", nice walks, trips out of
town, etc?

Out of town visits: Train to Enkhuizen or Leiden both about 30
minutes away. Avoid Volendam.

Hoorn is interesting as well - on the same rail route as Enkhuizen.

Keith, Bristol, UK

Email: usenet[dot]20[dot]keefy[at]spamgourmet[dot]com

This is a sp*mtrap, but I will get your mail!
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_1_]

wrote:

My wife and I will be visiting Amsterdam in November. We are in our
50s, like walking, cycling, fresh air, classical music and the odd art
gallery. Any suggestions for "must-sees", nice walks, trips out of
town, etc?

Out of town visits: Train to Enkhuizen or Leiden both about 30
minutes away. Avoid Volendam.

I keep waiting for Cathy to reply to this sort of question. Did she see the
cheeses?

JohnT

Old September 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_1_]

Keith Anderson:

Hoorn is interesting as well - on the same rail route as Enkhuizen.

The difference: you'll want to visit Hoorn on a Saturday (large street
market) and Enkhuizen on a weekday (nice and quiet, especially in
November).

--
Erick

Old September 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_1_]

Martin:
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:13:57 +0100, Keith Anderson

Hoorn is interesting as well - on the same rail route as Enkhuizen.

and the steam train through the bulb fields from Hoorn To Medemblik

Bulb fields? November?

--
Erick