Holland America Eurodam

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Holland America Eurodam

wrote in message
Does anybody here have experience on the Eurodam? It's a fairly new
ship. I'm mainly interested in the food. Thanks

Food is very much dependent upon personal taste and the type of entrees you
order (e.g. steaks might be great, but fish isn't).... but for me, the food
in the main dining room on sister ship Westerdam this past week started out
great for the first 3 days (better than my Celebrity and Cunard
experiences), but then declined significantly the last 4 days, down to
RCI/NCL levels. On the last evening, I ordered beef tenderloin, and ended
up sending it back... it was all fatty and grizzly to the point where you
couldn't even cut it, no less chew it. I thought breakfast and lunch
options in the buffet were generally outstanding. Comparable to Celebrity
or Princess. It was in the dining room where I was first very impressed,
and then later rather disappointed. I do like to try fish on cruises. So
that's my point of perspective in the dining room.

--Tom

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Food is very much dependent upon personal taste and the type of entrees you
order (e.g. steaks might be great, but fish isn't).... but for me, the food
in the main dining room on sister ship Westerdam this past week started out
great for the first 3 days (better than my Celebrity and Cunard
experiences), but then declined significantly the last 4 days, down to
RCI/NCL levels. On the last evening, I ordered beef tenderloin, and ended
up sending it back... it was all fatty and grizzly to the point where you
couldn't even cut it, no less chew it.

To my personal tastes the food stayed great on Westerdam the entire
cruise. Of the four cruise lines I have been on in the past year I rate
Holland-America as having the best food. Celebrity was very good, but
definitely second best. Royal Caribbean was third and Princess brought
up the rear. As far as the Beef Tenderloin, I had the Shrimp that
evening which were large jumbo shrimp, but others at the table who
ordered the Tenderloin it said it was great.

--
Charles
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Wilf
wrote:

Buffet was, as far as I remember, self service during my holiday last
year but that's not to say they may not have changed things since then,
of course.

Not sure what is meant by self service. On the Holland American
Westerdam which I just returned from, and the Celebrity Constellation
which I was on a few weeks ago you did not serve yourself most items.
You told the lido crew behind the steam table what you wanted and they
put it on the plate. On Princess in the summer you served almost every
thing yourself except for carved meats.

Self service in the cruise ship context means "cafeteria-like" where
you go along the line and point to what you want and they give you a
plate of it. It also includes places where you actually serve
yourself things like bread or salads from a buffet. Sometimes if a
ship has had norovirus problems, you have to have someone hand you
even things like bread or wrapped packets of butter.

The alternate is like in the dining rooms or a real restaurant where
the waiter takes your order and brings it to you. The chain
steakhouses where you order your steak or entree and they cook it to
order and bring it to you later, but you go and chose what you want at
the salad bar and for dessert are kind of in the middle.