Oceania Insignia

Old February 13th, 2011, 02:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Oceania Insignia

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:20:53 -0500, Tom K
wrote:

We used Alla and opted to have a private car and driver. This meant
that we could customize the tours and I could do what I could do an
the guide took my granddaughter to do the more energetic parts.

On the first day after a tour of the city, we rode the hydrofoil out
to Peterhof. After we saw the lower palace, we had lunch on the
grounds - I had a kind of cheese sandwich - it had cucumber and
tomato along with a rolled up piece of cheese in a croissant. I also
had a bowl of meat and vegetable soup which had black things in it
that I assumed were beans, but which turned out to be ripe olives. We
put sour cream in it, and it was very good. I also had a kind of
apricot pastry. The meal for both of us cost me $40.00. Then my
granddaughter and the guide toured the rest of the grounds and then we
met the driver and drove to Pushkin. My granddaughter did the tour of
this palace while I waited for them.

The second day we had early admission to the Hermitage. The Hermitage
opens at 10:30 am - our appointment to enter was at 9:50. There
weren't many people there. We ate lunch at the museum- My
granddaughter had a chocolate covered bun which proved to have sesame
seeds on it and a sandwich. I had a sandwich and a pastry thing with
currents on it.

Then we saw Peter and Paul Fortress, Church on the Spilled Blood and
St. Isaacs which my granddaughter climbed to the dome.

On 2/12/11 11:15 AM, Jo Tambornino Chayer wrote:

...thanks, Tom...I was looking for the tour group you used...we also
want to have plenty of time at The Hermitage and are investigating the
river boat cruise..
Jo Tambornino Chayer

We did the Hermitage too... forgot to mention that. And yes our guide
got us in the front of the long line, instead of waiting for hours
outside at the back of the line.

One point to at least consider... the tours there will provide lunch on
the bus. I opted simply to bring a Peanut Butter/Jelly sandwich from
the ship that I made my self. And I brought a bottle of ship water.

Why? I figured I'd probably be in St. Petersburg maybe once in my
life... and I had no intentions of spending my second day there in the
ship's bathroom, instead of seeing the Hermitage. Was it a necessary
precaution? Who knows. But I would do it again if I ever went back.

Why take a chance?

Old February 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jo Tambornino Chayer

wrote:

[...]

....sounds like everything worked well with your tour guide and the food
purchased...I am really looking forward to these cruise and these ports.

Jo Tambornino Chayer