Freighter Cruises -- General QuestionsFreighter Cruises -- General Questions

Old March 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
unforetold

Default Freighter Cruises -- General QuestionsFreighter Cruises -- General Questions

I am thinking about taking a cruise on a freighter and have some
general questions (assuming it's possible to generalize):

I understand that there is usually no internet connection. Are you
able to contact family in the U.S. by telephone or mail? Can they
contact you?

Do freighters that carry passengers typically have any areas on deck or
out in the open with chairs where passengers can sit?

Are members of the crew generally able to speak English?

I would be grateful for any knowledgteable replies.

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"unforetold" wrote in message
I am thinking about taking a cruise on a freighter and have some general
questions (assuming it's possible to generalize):

I understand that there is usually no internet connection. Are you able
to contact family in the U.S. by telephone or mail? Can they contact you?

Do freighters that carry passengers typically have any areas on deck or
out in the open with chairs where passengers can sit?

Are members of the crew generally able to speak English?

I would be grateful for any knowledgteable replies.

Check this site. Always wanted to try freighters, but never have, probably
never will.
http://seaplus.com/

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
unforetold

On 2011-03-12 12:10:21 -0500, Paul Johnson said:

"unforetold" wrote in message
I am thinking about taking a cruise on a freighter and have some
general questions (assuming it's possible to generalize):

I understand that there is usually no internet connection. Are you
able to contact family in the U.S. by telephone or mail? Can they
contact you?

Do freighters that carry passengers typically have any areas on deck or
out in the open with chairs where passengers can sit?

Are members of the crew generally able to speak English?

I would be grateful for any knowledgteable replies.

Check this site. Always wanted to try freighters, but never have,
probably never will.
http://seaplus.com/

Thanks for this suggestion. Although I did not find a direct answer on
the site, the assumption seems to be that English is pretty common. As
to the other questions, I didn't find any information, although the
site is big. I looked at the pages that seem most likely and will keep
looking.

Old March 13th, 2011, 05:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/12/11 11:39 AM, unforetold wrote:
I am thinking about taking a cruise on a freighter and have some general
questions (assuming it's possible to generalize):

I understand that there is usually no internet connection. Are you able
to contact family in the U.S. by telephone or mail? Can they contact you?

Do freighters that carry passengers typically have any areas on deck or
out in the open with chairs where passengers can sit?

Are members of the crew generally able to speak English?

I would be grateful for any knowledgteable replies.

If you really wanted to do something like that, I'd seriously look into
renting or leasing a satellite phone. And see if there's a way to
connect that to a computer via some kind of modem connection.

--Tom
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rieker4

Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485