where in florida (re mosquitoes)

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM
jw 11111111111

Default where in florida (re mosquitoes)

hi, the wife and i ( from the london, u.k.) would like to visit florida
with a view to buying a small apartment to retire to. the wife is unusually
allergic to mosquito bites.

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim for; to
avoid too many mosquitoes?

grateful for any advice, thanks.

Old February 28th, 2005, 12:32 PM
jcoulter

"jw 11111111111" wrote in
:

hi, the wife and i ( from the london, u.k.) would like to visit
florida with a view to buying a small apartment to retire to. the wife
is unusually allergic to mosquito bites.

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim
for; to avoid too many mosquitoes?

grateful for any advice, thanks.

Mosquitos are part and parcel of Florida, as are cockroaches an alligatrs.
We do control them. the whoel darn state gets sprayed almost constantly and
there are some other biters hat fly around. that said you are OK inthe day
time but around dusk I would say get thee inside.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:06 PM

jw 11111111111 wrote:
hi, the wife and i ( from the london, u.k.) would like to visit

florida
with a view to buying a small apartment to retire to. the wife is

unusually
allergic to mosquito bites.

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim

for; to
avoid too many mosquitoes?

grateful for any advice, thanks.

Wow. Part of me says stay out of Florida. But there is a part which
also realizes that mosquitoes are pretty much everywhere in the US.
Florida has several biting insects actually and 'round these parts
mosquitoes
are the less of many. They are primarily connected to warm standing
water so the real trick, anywhere actually, is to stay away from such.
As such, anywhere in the south near the Everglades is probably out.
Any of the marshland is also out which limits you to large swaths of
Florida in general.

Your airport request, presuming you mean large commercial airports is
going to be a large guide. There are the "Big 4", Miami, Tampa,
Orlando, and
Jacksonville. Within spitting distance are others like Fort
Lauderdale, West Palm, Sanford, Naples, etc.

Combining the two requests pushes you away from most coasts, with one

exception I'll mention in a minute. It would seem you have about 2
choices.
The larger is an area in and around the center of Florida. Lake County
is probably a good starting point because it is relatively high ground
(for Florida that is. The whole state is about 50 feet above sea
level).
A town called Mount Dora for example. There are many towns,
Clermont comes to mind, that run along this high ground ridge. Going
west of there towards Dade City and Zephyrhills will probably also
contain much of what you seek. But keep in mind this is a relative kind
of thing. There are biting insects everywhere, it's just that these
places will have the least and still be in some vague proximity to
Major airports.

Your other option to consider might be a chain of islands south of
Tampa. There are many, and some of them are techincally "keys". But
basically they run from St. Petersburg down towards Naples. Sanibel
is a famous one but there are many of them there. Because the vast
majority
of water around them is mildly salty, and there are usually gentle
breezes, you might find a relative (that's an important word on this
subject) dirth of biting insects. You could also consider the whole
chain of keys extending down towards Key West but the airport thing
might be a killer for you on this topic.

So I'd probably fly to Orlando, or the "Sanford/Orlando
International
Airport" and work my way west and south towards Tampa (avoiding the
whole
Kissimmee/St. Cloud area which includes the Disney area because Walt
built the whole place on top of a swamp). Whilst I was traveling,
I'd also note the large number of screened patios/porches/pools and
consider why they are so popular in Florida. I'd probably also
consider that the larger the city, the more they tend to spread
chemicals around to fight this particular problem.

Old March 1st, 2005, 06:43 AM
Brian K

On 02/28/2005 9:06 AM wrote:

jw 11111111111 wrote:

[...]

There are fewer mosquitoes where there's a constant breeze. Here we're
talking beach communities. I've walked Ft. Lauderdale Beach both day
and night and not gotten a single bite. On the other hand Palmetto Bugs
are everywhere. I've never gotten close enough to one to find out if
they bite. They're big scary relatives to the cockroach. I just don't
want to mess with them.

On the East coast, a west wind will bring flies and nosee'ems. What's
best is somebody came out with a combination sunscreen and insect
repellent. It did me well when I toured the Everglades.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM
Alan

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:01:12 GMT, "jw 11111111111"
wrote:

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim for; to
avoid too many mosquitoes?

Arizona

Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Mimi

"jw 11111111111" wrote in message
hi, the wife and i ( from the london, u.k.) would like to visit florida
with a view to buying a small apartment to retire to. the wife is
unusually allergic to mosquito bites.

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim for;
to avoid too many mosquitoes?

In the US, if you want warmth with few mosquitos, go to the west. The West
Coast has few insects as evidently does Arizona. And this area is all less
humid than I found London last spring.

Marianne

Old March 5th, 2005, 08:26 AM
alohacyberian

"jw 11111111111" wrote in message
hi, the wife and i ( from the london, u.k.) would like to visit florida
with a view to buying a small apartment to retire to. the wife is unusually
allergic to mosquito bites.

where is a good area (near an airport if possible) in florida to aim for;
to avoid too many mosquitoes?

grateful for any advice, thanks.

Avoid mosquitoes? I would suggest Hawaii.

Florida is flat as a pancake while Hawaii has spectacular mountains and
almost no bugs compared to Florida. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect