chloroquine plus proguanil

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Liz

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

I`m not familiar
with the prophylactics recommended for Namibia and Botswana though.
Toby, if you have been told to take Paludrine and Chloroquine by the
travel experts, and there is no resistance to the drugs, I can tell you
we took those drugs for several years in Kenya and Nigeria. Take them
with plenty of water, Chloroquine doesn`t taste very nice!

That's the combination I was given for Namibia.
Mind you, that was July 9dry season), 'south of the veterinary fence', and
no-one saw any hint of a mozzie!

I had no problem with reactions to these drugs either in Namibia or in India.
I had problems with Lariam on my first safari, but not on five subsequent ones.
But everyone's different.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old November 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Default chloroquine plus proguanil

My GP mention it and the sites I've looked at (e.g. BUPA -
http://www.bupa-intl.travel-guides.c...&Cou ntry=nam)
just suggest chloroquine plus proguanil.

I'm rather ignorant on the subject. Is Malarone and alternative to
chloroquine plus proguanil (I know it is an alternative to Mefloquine)?
I'd much rather take Malarone if I can.

Thanks,
Toby Austin

Old November 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM

It's not the taste I'm worried about, it's taking four months off
through illness (as I did after taking Lariam)! I don't doubt that
Chloroquine plus Proguanil is effective (where there is no resistance),
but whether I can safetly take it.

Toby Austin

Old November 25th, 2004, 05:00 PM
C. Josef

" wrote in message roups.com...

I'm rather ignorant on the subject. Is Malarone and alternative to
chloroquine plus proguanil (I know it is an alternative to Mefloquine)?
I'd much rather take Malarone if I can.

The three prophylactic drugs that are commonly recommended for
subsaharan Africa are either atovaquone-proguanil (Malarone),
doxycycline or mefloquine (Lariam). Chloroquine + proguanil is usually
considered as obsolete these days.
Old November 25th, 2004, 05:03 PM
C. Josef

" wrote in message roups.com...
Is it? Excuse my ignorance, but don't they both contain quinine?

They don't contain quinine itself, but both are 4-aminoquinolines.
This means both molecules are closely related to quinine.