Arizona, Show Your Papers? So What!

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:47 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
rick++

Default Arizona, Show Your Papers? So What!

The Arizona law is redundant.
The 58-year old resident alien law already requires legal aliens to
carry their green card.
And drivers are required to carry their licenses. A valid license is
sufficient ID under the AZ law.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 05 May 2010 21:47:10 +0200, Donna Evleth

From: "rick++"
Newsgroups:
alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retireme nt,rec.tr
avel.europe
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 08:47:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Arizona, Show Your Papers? So What!

The Arizona law is redundant.
The 58-year old resident alien law already requires legal aliens to
carry their green card.
And drivers are required to carry their licenses. A valid license is
sufficient ID under the AZ law.

Does a valid driver's license constitute proof of citizenship in Arizona?

A birth certificate is now required to obtain a license, so, yes,
the state law accepts it as proof of citizenship. In fact, of
legal residency also, since a non-citizen applicant has to
present a green card.

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Donna Evleth wrote;

Does a valid driver's license constitute
proof of citizenship in Arizona?

Hatunen wrote;

A birth certificate is now required to obtain
a license, so, yes, the state law accepts it
as proof of citizenship. In fact, of legal
residency also, since a non-citizen
applicant has to present a green card.

And I have have heard countless times in the media that once a person
produces a valid AZ driver's licence any questions of residency status
are off the table by this new law.

So the President was using scare tactics when he said; "If a man is
taking his 2 kids for ice cream..."
By law, he would have to have been stopped for 'just cause' (like a
traffic infraction).
And then he would *only* be required to produce his license like
everyone else.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:24:26 -0700 (PDT), Mike
wrote:

On May 5, 3:47*pm, Donna Evleth wrote:

Does a valid driver's license constitute proof of citizenship in Arizona?

If you're a legal alien you can still get a license. But you need to
claim residency I believe in order to get one.

When I first moved to Arizona in 1966 I worked for Hughes
Aircraft. Sheriff's deputies patrolled the access road to the
plant looking for out-of-state plates because it meant that an
outstater was working in Arizona, which made him/her a resident
and was required to re-register the car. I expect ditto for the
driver license.

You may have to prove residency to get lower tuition at colleges
and universities, but getting a driver license isn't all that
tough. In fact, getting a license is one piece of evidence for
claiming in-state tuition.

Old May 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:54:40 -0400, (Poetic
Justice) wrote:

Donna Evleth wrote;

Does a valid driver's license constitute
proof of citizenship in Arizona?

Hatunen wrote;

A birth certificate is now required to obtain
a license, so, yes, the state law accepts it
as proof of citizenship. In fact, of legal
residency also, since a non-citizen
applicant has to present a green card.

And I have have heard countless times in the media that once a person
produces a valid AZ driver's licence any questions of residency status
are off the table by this new law.

So the President was using scare tactics when he said; "If a man is
taking his 2 kids for ice cream..."
By law, he would have to have been stopped for 'just cause' (like a
traffic infraction).
And then he would *only* be required to produce his license like
everyone else.

I'm a bit unclear on how much of that is actual quote of
presidential speech, but in Arizona, yes. However, that would be
during a just-cause stop. The Arizona law makes mere suspicion of
illegal migration status "just Cause".

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:29 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Hatunen wrote;
but in Arizona, yes. However, that would
be during a just-cause stop. The Arizona
law makes mere suspicion of illegal
migration status "just Cause".

Burt Hyman wrote;
Don't think so; if you can find that in the
text of the law, I'd like to see it.

Ditto.
BTW suspicion/instinct/common sense is an excellent tool of law
enforcement for *all* types of crime. Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Mike[_40_]

wrote:
On May 5, 3:47*pm, Donna Evleth wrote:
Does a valid driver's license constitute proof of citizenship in Arizona?

If you're a legal alien you can still get a license. *But you need to
claim residency I believe in order to get one.

When I first moved to Arizona in 1966 I worked for Hughes
Aircraft. Sheriff's deputies patrolled the access road to the
plant looking for out-of-state plates because it meant that an
outstater was working in Arizona, which made him/her a resident
and was required to re-register the car. I expect ditto for the
driver license.

You may have to prove residency to get lower tuition at colleges
and universities, but getting a driver license isn't all that
tough. In fact, getting a license is one piece of evidence for
claiming in-state tuition.

Around here you need to prove residency.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

From: Hatunen
Newsgroups:
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:29:32 -0700

From: "rick++"
Newsgroups:
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 08:47:07 -0700 (PDT)

The Arizona law is redundant.
The 58-year old resident alien law already requires legal aliens to
carry their green card.
And drivers are required to carry their licenses. A valid license is
sufficient ID under the AZ law.

Does a valid driver's license constitute proof of citizenship in Arizona?

A birth certificate is now required to obtain a license, so, yes,
the state law accepts it as proof of citizenship. In fact, of
legal residency also, since a non-citizen applicant has to
present a green card.

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. I believe this is fairly recent,
I don't remember it when I lived in California 35 years ago.

Donna Evleth

Old May 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Tis Odonovan, Himself

wrote:
On May 5, 3:47*pm, Donna Evleth wrote:
Does a valid driver's license constitute proof of citizenship in Arizona?

If you're a legal alien you can still get a license. *But you need to
claim residency I believe in order to get one.

When I first moved to Arizona in 1966 I worked for Hughes
Aircraft. Sheriff's deputies patrolled the access road to the
plant looking for out-of-state plates because it meant that an
outstater was working in Arizona, which made him/her a resident
and was required to re-register the car. I expect ditto for the
driver license.

You may have to prove residency to get lower tuition at colleges
and universities, but getting a driver license isn't all that
tough. In fact, getting a license is one piece of evidence for
claiming in-state tuition.

Around here you need to prove residency.

My wife and I went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch yesterday. We
have been going to the same one periodically of about 6 Mexican
restaurants available in our town here in the Georgia mountains of
about 12000 since we know the menu and everything has always been
satisfactory there.

I've gotten to know the owner. he always greets me with a big grin and
handshake , calling me "amigo". I ran into him as we were both in
supermarket parking lot about a week ago and noticed he traded his
BMW for a brand new Mercedes. Since I have driven and owned German
cars since 72 we chatted about them briefly. His English is not all
that good and my Spanish is non existent but we managed

Based on those new German cars and the gold draped around his neck, it
appears that that Mexican restaurant is doing pretty well for that
Mexican immigrant from Guadaljara (sp?).

I never asked him if he was legal or illegal but since the Hispanic
immigration issue has been on the front burner, I did mention to my
wife yesterday that I noticed for the first time we always see new
faces in his dozen or so wait, bussing, kitchen staff of all young
males appearing to be in their 20s, all struggling with English to
their customers but speaking rapid Spanish to each other.

As the Mexican guys would pass our table my wife would say- "I'v e
seen that guy here before or I don't recognize that one". The owner
without exception mans the checkout register and always asks
"everything OK today amigo?"

After lunch I dropped her off at her nail salon owned by Vietnamese
lady of about 30 which is one of about a dozen in our town, all run by
Vietnamese. I returned to the house which is about 5 miles from town
until my wife called several hours later when she was through. When I
picked her up she mentioned that it was the same thing in the nail
salon- constant new faces of young Vietnamese staff struggling with
Englsh.

We both agreed it was the same thing in a Chinese restaurant we
frequent- always new faces but we didn't kn ow whether they were
ethnic
Chinese or Vietnamese. I do recall the pictures on the walls of the
restaurant depicted what looked like typical scenes from China.

In his typical naive out of touch mentality Evleth deludes himself
that by going after the employers of illegal immigrants he will be
going after only his despised WHITE AMERICAN MALES employing illegals.
Considering the fact the Evleths haven't lived here in the US for
30years or so their simple mindedness about what is happening here
should come as no surprise.