Mileage question

Old November 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM
dick caetano

Default Mileage question

How far and how much time to drive from Jo'burg to Bloemfontein and
then to Lesotho? Thanks
Old November 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Marc Lurie

Johannesburg to Bloemfontein is about 400km, and driving time anything
from 3.5 to 4 hours.

Bloemfontein to Maseru is about 100km, and driving time about 2 hours
(including border crossing if the border is quiet).

Regards,
Marc

Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
riverman

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Johannesburg to Bloemfontein is about 400km, and driving time anything
from 3.5 to 4 hours.

Bloemfontein to Maseru is about 100km, and driving time about 2 hours
(including border crossing if the border is quiet).

Regards,
Marc

Hey Mark: this is from another thread, but since I got you he Whats the
story with driving through Mozambique? Everything quiet? Is camping on the
beach in a 4wd safari rig okay? Thinking of driving up Moz, visiting Malawi,
coming down across Zim, to Vic Falls, then down through Maun and Bots.

--riverman

Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Marc Lurie

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:30:22 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:
Driving through Mozambique is perfectly safe as long as:
1) You must carry warning triangles at all times
2) Your vehicle must be in perfect working order at all times (ALL
lights must work, the horn must work, the widscreen wipers and washer
must operate, the registration number must be on the front and back,
you papers must be 100% in order, and you MUST have insurance at ALL
times. Don't believe the guy at the border who says you can buy
insurance at the next town - buy it at the border. If the cops at the
roadblocks can't find anything wrong with the vehicle, they will not
solicit a bribe - don't offer one either.
3) Don't speed. Speed limit on the open road is officially 100-120kph,
and in inhabited areas it drops suddenly to 40 or 50. When you see a
50kph sign, it means that your speed must be 50 or below AT THE SIGN,
not even 10m beyond the sign. My advice is to slow down the second you
see the sign.
4) Be very aware of dogs and kids. If you kill someon'es dog you could
face a few days in jail. Hit a kid, and you're in real trouble. The
roads are full of animals such as dogs, cows, donkeys, goats, chickens
etc. I'd advise that if you hit a chicken, just keep on driving like
all other Mozambiquan drivers.

Diesel is readily available, but it is always possible that you get to
a town and they're out of fuel for a few days. It's advisable to keep
the tank full by stopping at each major town to fill up. Petrol is
becomming more readilly available, but you don't really have much
choice of leaded/unleaded - just take what they have :-)

In Southern Mozambique (SA border to Vilancoulos) there's no shortage
of campsites on the coast. I wouldn't suggest "rough" camping on
beaches as you are very likely to have robberies the minute you leave
the camp unattended, or at night. Seceral isolated campers have also
been brutally attacked, but I believe this hasn't happened for some
time now. It's better to stay in a campsite where at least you'll have
access to fresh water (don't drink it), and security guards.

There are several inland campsites as well, normally around larger
towns, and recreational places like dams, rivers etc.

North of Vilancoulos camping becomes a problem. There is a reasonable
campsite in Beira (Biques - along the beach road, north of town). At
the main cities further north, there may be campsites, but I don't
know of them because I usually stay in a pensao or small hotel/lodge
as I'm usually just driving through. These places are usually safe to
stay in, but can be VERY hot, and if you're there on Friday or
Saturday, the disco is invariably outside your window, and you won't
get ANY sleep :-)

I absolutely love Mozambique, and use any excuse to get back there.
Have a great time there.

Marc

.. .