are you a working mom?

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:04 AM
sparkyfuego

Default are you a working mom?

I write the "Doing Business" feature for TravelAge West and am
researching an upcoming feature on working moms. I'd like to talk to a
few travel professionals with kids about the challenge of balancing
work and family, tips for coping with competing interests and what
advice they have for expectant working moms. I'm particularly
interested in home-based agents. My deadline is Monday.

Please email me at if you're interested in
participating.

Thank you.
Old September 26th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Default OT: Rant [was: are you a working mom?]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:58:53 -0500, Jenn wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:42:31 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

(Actually, we know what happened to "mother" -- it became a hyphenated
naughty word, and people started to avoid the original term for
subconscious reasons.)

explain more, pray tell,

Er...ummm....I don't want to write the whole thing, but one of the
most common -- and vulgar -- epithets is mother-f****er. In gang
lingo, it becomes "mu-fuh".

So people began avoiding the perfectly good and beautiful word
"mother", and substituting the icky, cutesey "mom". Followed quickly
by "dad". Some Psych 101 explanations I've heard say that the
cutesey names arose to "defuse" the power of the original "dominating"
paternal names. Not my .02, but worth a thought.

I'm also allergic to calling a "house" a "home", but the realtors have
us by the shorts in that regard.

BTW: Wasn't there a book by a famous madam called "A House is Not a
Home"? I agree. A house is not a home until the inhabitants make it
so.

yes, when someone does. A house is a house. A home is someone's house
that they've turned into their... home

Over here in the UK the in word is property. People don't talk about
buying a house, or a flat. It's 'I'm buying a property'. Pretentious
gits.

MJ

we are having creeping pretentiousness as well -- and the use of
commercial terms in common parlance e.g. I live in the St. Louis
'market' -- the idea of thinking of commercial categories like 'markets'
rather than hometowns is part of this creepy creeping pretentiousness

my property is in a market which caters to my upscale demographic
how bout you?

Wah, sheet, man, I'm in a roaring "market" and torn between existing
comfort and (selling) profit.

--

Traveler