Copenhagen Hotels request info (July 2011)

Old April 26th, 2011, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michelle Kinkaid

Default Copenhagen Hotels request info (July 2011)

I will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before my cruise in
late July. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? I have
never been to Copenhagen so don't know what area is best or
at which hotel to stay. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michelle
SF

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Michelle Kinkaid" wrote in message
I will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before my cruise in
late July. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? I have
never been to Copenhagen so don't know what area is best or
at which hotel to stay. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michelle
SF

Michelle, we are staying at the Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel in Copenhagen
in May. It was recommended to me from someone who lives in Copenhagen
because we wanted to stay at a hotel near both Tivoli and the railroad
station so we could take the train to the airport when we fly back. If you
are still interested, I'll post about how pleased we were with it.

--Jean

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Michelle Kinkaid

On 4/25/2011 5:08 PM, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Michelle wrote in message
I will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before my cruise in
late July. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? I have
never been to Copenhagen so don't know what area is best or
at which hotel to stay. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michelle
SF

Michelle, we are staying at the Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel in Copenhagen
in May. It was recommended to me from someone who lives in Copenhagen
because we wanted to stay at a hotel near both Tivoli and the railroad
station so we could take the train to the airport when we fly back. If you
are still interested, I'll post about how pleased we were with it.

--Jean

Hi Jean,
Thanks for your reply.
That would be great but there are a few people going with me
and they want to get the hotel set now so I was hoping to
get some good feedback ASAP.

Michelle
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
GodsOnSafari

On Apr 25, 7:48*pm, Michelle Kinkaid wrote:
I will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before my cruise in
late July. Does anyone have a hotel recommendation? I have
never been to Copenhagen so don't know what area is best or
at which hotel to stay. Any info would be helpful.

The general Priceline hotel (and its a good one even if paying up
front) is the Marriott Copenhagen, which my wife and I have stayed at
twice. As far as accomdations are concerned, the rooms are vast for a
European hotel and well furnished. Rooms with a harbour view are the
kind you can sit in all day and marvel at. As far as location to the
train station and Tivoli, its a fairly short walk - if you head out of
the train station in the direction of Tivoli (which is the main
entrance) after ascending the escalators, turn right and walk down the
street until there's no more street (about 2-3 blocks). The Marriott
is directly in front of you, or perhaps slightly to the left. Its
generally the choice for visiting sports teams and high end tour
groups, so obviously they know what they're doing. Its no more than a
10 minute walk.

A similar distance away is the new Tivoli Hotel/Conference Center and
a new budget option (I believe its called the StayAt Copenhagen?),
both of which look nice but I can't entirely speak to the quality of.
The Radisson Blu is the closest hotel to where you want to be, but my
memory of looking on the internet is that room size was a bit of an
issue, so far as my wife and I were concerned. If price is no option
and you are burning money to heat your home, there's always the Nimb.
Prices for a room without a Tivoli view there start at something
insane though - like $600 USD/night. For a Tivoli view, think twice
that.

Old April 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
GodsOnSafari

On Apr 25, 9:43*pm, GodsOnSafari wrote:
[...]

The budget option I spoke of is the Wakeup Copenhagen. Prices there
are pretty low for the area. The Square and the Scandic Palace are
fairly close too, but you may run into issues with noise given their
location and the amount of construction going on in the area.
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

"Michelle wrote in message
[...]

We went to Copenhagen before our cruise in June 2009. There was some kind of convention there at
the time and the whole city was full. Our travel agent got us a room at the Saga Hotel. It is very
conveniently located near the train station and Tivoli in an area with a lot of other hotels.

The cab driver warned us that we should keep our cameras and money well concealed in this
neighborhood, but the neighborhood seems to be a mini-Chinatown and doesn't feel spooky at all.
Although I did see a Sex Shop on the way in. We were checked in before noon

The room had two twin beds with duvets, a flat screen TV locked to the wall, and a window out onto
the courtyard which had two fiberglass cows in it, and also bikes which we could have rented from
the hotel. We had a private bath. There were no elevators, but our room was on the first floor and
was quiet as it was on the courtyard. We walked up to the second floor to get breakfast. Since it
was cold and rainy while we were there we didn't need A/C

The receptionist told us that we could use the computer in the lobby for free, but that if we used
the LAN cable in the room or the computer through the TV it would cost extra. I tried to log on from
the lobby without success, and finally used their computer to send a message. The hotel receptionist
told me that the hotel wi-fi was sagareception, and really it was Sagareception. Once I got logged
on, I could send emails from the room, although if I didn't send stuff right away the wi-fi
apparently lost interest in me and told me that I wasn't connected to the internet.

Unique Qualities: I had set the timer on the TV to wake us up at 6:45 and it actually did. We went
to breakfast. Breakfast was very good - they had cereal and milk, orange and apple juice various
kinds of bread (rye crisp, pumpernickel and white bread) butter, rolls, sliced meats, cheese, liver
pate, and Danish. I particularly liked the chocolate one. They also had tea and coffee. Breakfast is
7 to 10:30.

We took naps and showered and then went out to see the city.Fortunately the hotel gave us a map with
the hotel marked on it) to find our way back to our hotel which is on a very back street.

The menu on the TV tended to come up on the PPV area, but that there were free channels which had US
movies on them. We could also sometimes get the Danish news and weather.

The charge on my credit card was $167/night for two people with a private bath and breakfast

The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel is right on the main square - but be warned - there are several hotels
named Radison in Copenhagen and the other ones are not as convenient. I also would have liked to
stay at the Square which was on Samantha Brown's Copenhagen program on the Travel Channel (if there
had been rooms), and I took a photo of Le Meridien Palace Hotel thinking it was part of the Town
Hall, but it is a separate hotel. There was also a hotel associated with a swim center free to
guests - the DGI-byens Hotel which I thought might be fun. The other one I considered was the CabIn
or Cab Inn, as it was very inexpensive, but I couldn't get room for the dates I wanted.

I wanted to stay near Tivoli (which is also by default next to the RR station which is next door.to
it. That's because I wanted to go to Tivoli at night and didn't want to be too far from it to walk
back. The Nyhavn area seems to be another place to consider as you can get canal boats from there -
both water buses and tour boats.

We flew back to Copenhagen from the Netherlands where our cruise ended to get our plane to return to
the US and then we stayed at Hilton at the airport - we could walk (or in my case I could be pushed
in a wheelchair) right into the hotel from the airport. I signed in at the hotel, and they asked me
if I wanted a handicapped room, so I said OK. This is a very plush hotel and very
convenient for the airport, but like all the Hiltons, they nickel and
dime you for everything that less expensive hotels give you for free.
Like the internet.

I asked if they could help me print out my boarding passes for
tomorrow and one of the very good looking guys at the concierge desk
said he would help me. We went to a machine and I think the reason
that I could not get a boarding pass before was because they had to
scan your passport and they could not do that from a hotel or on the
internet.

The plane was full and they were asking for people to give up their
seats so maybe that was another reason. I said no and my passport was
swiped. We couldn't get luggage tags though.

The handicapped room was very nice - we had to use our room key to go
up in the elevator, but not to keep the lights on in the room. It had
hospital beds, and a wheelchair accessible shower. There was a mini-bar,
but if you wanted ice, you had to go and get it.

They had a buffet restaurant, a regular restaurant and a bar for
snacks and we decided that we weren't that hungry and went to the bar.
Bree just had a strawberry smoothie (65 DK), but I opted for a Nordic
sandwich which was smoked salmon, shrimp and creme fraiche on dark
bread (135 DK), forgetting that I'm not that fond of smoked salmon.
Bree tried some of the fish eggs that were on top, but didn't like
them OR the dark bread. I also had cranberry juice (35 DK).

I tried to get on-line to tell Bree's dad that we had gotten as far as
Copenhagen but could not get the sign-in screen to come up. So I
called the number indicated, and got someone who said that the hotel
internet was down and to try again in 5 minutes. But when I tried
later, I still couldn't get on, so I went on to bed.

I woke up about 6 and wrote the last email and
the internet worked now, so I sent it. Then I showered and got
dressed and we went down to breakfast when was a really extensive
buffet - almost bigger than the Lido on the ship. They had various
items like eggs made to order (poached, soft or hard boiled and
omelets), plus the normal hot buffet items like scrambled eggs, bacon,
sausage, potatoes, beans, tomatoes, pancakes, waffles, French toast
and porridge. Then there was bread which could be toasted, rolls,
sweet rolls, coffee cake, cheeses and cold meats, cold cereal and a
variety of juices, tea and coffee.

We checked out about 9 and I mentioned to the guy at the desk that the
internet was not working last night, so I only got an hour this
morning, and he took the charge (65DK) for the hour that I used off
the bill. Although I totally didn't ask him to - I was complaining
that I couldn't use it more.

We had not been able to get the luggage tags from the kiosk, so we
went back into the airport with the luggage cart and had our baggage
weighed and labels put on. The man said to sit and wait and he would
get a wheelchair, which he did.

HTH
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Val Kraut

We started two cruises in Copenhage. Both Times we stayed at the Scandic Copenhagen across the street from the planetarium. Easy walk to Tivoli Gardens. There are several bed and breakfast - smaller hotels with same first name and second name like Scandic - xxx. Really enjoyed both stays. HAL had a rep at the hotel for transfer to the ship. I can probably look up more from our scrap book if you are interested. We ate breakfast in the hotel and celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in the hotel restaurant (rainy day). Next day we went to Balkonen Restaurant in Tivoli.

Hope This Helps,
Val Kraut