Canadian flag on the backback myth

Old June 1st, 2004, 12:14 AM
Xomicron

Default Canadian flag on the backback myth

I was just wondering, is it really true that most Canadian's believe the
myth that people in the rest of the world will treat them better if they
know they are Canadian. I've had some people tell me this and I can't
believe that intelligent Canadians fall for that bunk. I've traveled a
lot and most of the world sees one rich foreigner as pretty much the same
as another rich foreigner.

One Canadian woman in Turkey told me Canadian flags ensured better
treatment, and I noticed Turkish men were in the habit of coming up to
her and grabbing her tits in the street (she wore 2 Canadian flags), and a
guy in Beijing who was being threatened by a cab driver who wanted $50 US
for a 10 minute cab ride (he had a big plastic Canadian flag on his back).

Whenever I ask a Canadian about this every one has held that it is true.
One English teacher said there was some famous Canadian comedian that
Chinese knew. I pointed out that the most popular person on Earth was an
American. He repeated with total conviction that anywhere in China
average people will treat you better if they know you are Canadian.

Is this some kind of Canadian folk legend and if so is it true that most
people believe it. Where does this strange belief (that a rich foreigner
who is Canadian is more your friend then an American) come from? Is it a
little misplaced nationalism (entirely harmless) or is it from a deeper
desire to make up for Canadian inferiority?
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Donald R.

Xomicron wrote in news:G%Ouc.4190$1L4.1364@okepread02:
I was just wondering, is it really true that most Canadian's believe the
myth that people in the rest of the world will treat them better if they
know they are Canadian.

There may have been a time (10 or 20 years ago) when Canadians were less
likely to be targets of terrorist attacks than US citizens. Today, terrorism
is a lot less discriminate.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:29 AM
Robert R.

To be honest I kind of got that impression from the number of Americans who took
refuge behind a Cdn flag on their packs etc.

I myself served in the Canadian military and spent the best part of my life
wondering around Europe and I always found that we were very well received
everywhere and I am particularly "in love" with the wonderful manner with which
we were treated by the Dutch.

Had something to do with what our fathers did. (o:

Old June 1st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Cam Newton

On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:14:46 GMT, Xomicron wrote:

[...]

I have heard lots of stories of American's wearing Maple Leaf pins so
they won't get dissed for being American. Is this true?

You are one crappy troll.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:40 AM
Xomicron

(Cam Newton) wrote in
:

[...]

No. You've been lied to.
Old June 1st, 2004, 01:17 AM
Mxsmanic

Xomicron writes:

Is this some kind of Canadian folk legend and if so is it true that most
people believe it.

It's wishful thinking.

Most people in the world wouldn't even recognize a Canadian flag, much
less accord its wearer any special kindnesses.

Is it a
little misplaced nationalism (entirely harmless) or is it from a deeper
desire to make up for Canadian inferiority?

Probably both.

Old June 1st, 2004, 01:20 AM
Mxsmanic

Cam Newton writes:

I have heard lots of stories of American's wearing Maple Leaf pins so
they won't get dissed for being American. Is this true?

There are more people wearing Canadian flags than I'd expect if they
were all truly Canadian. There are probably Americans stupid enough to
try this.

Old June 1st, 2004, 01:36 AM
Scott Willing

[...]

Sure it works... but if you flash your wealth around and shoot your
mouth off, people will assume that you're an American wearing a
Canadian flag and grab your tits anyway.

Sheesh.

-=s

Old June 1st, 2004, 01:47 AM
Xomicron

Scott Willing wrote in
:

[...]

Are you one of those ignorant Canadians who thinks that Canadians burned
the White House in the War of 1812?
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:26 AM
tsarkon

Xomicron wrote:

[...]

You ****ing lick ass as a troll you tool. Totally obvious only the most
retarded dip**** would fall for this crap. Post something anti-american
in alt.politics or something it's much easier.