The Plot Thickens..... They called me again....

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Default The Plot Thickens..... They called me again....

Well, it could be like our own reality tv series....like Fear Factor or
something...."Jeff and Robert sail Carnival"; "Jeff and Robert wear
white after Labor Day"; "Jeff and Robert have a martini with vermouth in
it"....etc. What can I say, we're thrill seekers! I do have this mad
desire to try all the major lines, just to see what it's all about. If
nothing else, give me a big balcony and some relaxing days away from
work and I'm good with that.

Jeff

Steve Buch wrote:

Say it ain't so Jeff! Jeff & Robert on Carnival? You said you are
"thinking" about it. Please think long and hard! You have an image to
maintain.

- Steve B.

Jeff Coudriet wrote:
Cal--I think you're right. This isn't (for me at least) a pro-Carnival
or con-Carnival thing. In fact, we are thinking about sailing on the
Carnival Legend in January (4 sea days!). For me it's just an
interesting observation of a business practice.

But the plot thickens....last night Carnival called me for the third
time! This time they left a voice mail message indicating they wanted
to help me with the southern caribbean cruise I had been looking at.
However, I didn't in any way indicate (ie, put a hole, or ask for a
quote, etc.) on that type of cruise, but clearly they are TRACKING MY
ONLINE MOVEMENTS ON THEIR WEBSITE. Sorry for the "shouting" but I
wanted to highlight that. They obviously have very good software and
were able to track my movements on their site. A little creepy I think.

Jeff

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
George Leppla

"Jeff Coudriet" wrote in message

Hmmm, interesting. My little "experiment", as I'm calling it now,
continues. They called me for a fourth time today! Maybe they checked
our credit card records or something and said "he's a keeper"!!

I attended a cruise sales phone marketing seminar a few years ago and one of
the things they stressed was that people usually say "No" five times before
making a purchase. The operative rule is that "no" doesn't really mean
"no".... it just means "not yet". Carnival takes that seriously...
repetition and familiarity will get them some sales.

What I know about the direct sales department of Carnival is that the sales
people are paid about $8 per hour plus commission. The commission structure
is such that they can double or even triple their base wage with good
production. Bob Dickinson has been touting this type of agent compensation
publicly for years (small salary plus incentives). These people are highly
motivated to produce sales. That is what I know.

I have also heard (from 2 different people at Carnival) that the turnover in
this department is very high. One factor is that when the regular res
department is overloaded with calls, these Personal Vacation Planners have
to take calls from TAs and give quotes of make reservations. They do not
get any commission for these calls. Another factor is that the production
goals are very hard to achieve. I have no way to know if this is fact, but
I have talked with a few of these people on the phone so I tend to believe
it.

Carnival makes no bones about wanting to garner more market share through
direct sales. The last figure they quoted was a goal of 25% in a few years.
I'm betting they are looking for more. Does that mean that TA's are going
to be put out of business? Heck... anything is possible but I doubt it.
Will TA's play less of a role in the distribution system? You bet, but some
of that might be offset by the projected increased number of berths. As I
posted on August 1st:

"One thing for sure... any travel agent who has a 5 year business plan had
better think in smaller blocks of time. vbg Things will change too
rapidly for any long range planning."

Now we should leave space for Paul S. to add his predictable rant about how
TA's are going the way of the mastodons and Tom K can chime in with his dire
predictions of how in 10 years there will be only 2 cruise lines controlling
the entire industry and travel agents will be out of business. Two trolls
sharing a common theme.

For me, in ten years I hope to be retired. I'm going to pull the cinder
blocks out from under the old house trailer, put Mom and the cats in the
back of the pick-up and head for Florida so I can live close to the port.
And if Carnival and Princess are the only two cruise lines left, I would be
happy because I like them both!

--
George in PA --- going on the Paradise, 9/21 with about 70 of my friends

http://www.countryside-travel.com

Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Tom & Linda

What's the difference between the Personal Vacation Planners and the
regular res department?

--Tom

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:34 PM
George Leppla

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message

What's the difference between the Personal Vacation Planners and the
regular res department?

People in the regular reservation centers deal only with travel agents.
They do not sell anything and do not get commissions. They just give
quotes, make reservations and take payments. They are not trained as sales
people but as order entry people.

Personal Vacation Planners mostly deal directly with the customer and try to
sell cruises. They are paid a base salary plus commission.

It is ironic how people say that the cruise lines want to save money by
eliminating commissions. The truth of the matter is that they do pay the
commissions, either to a travel agent or to their own employees. I think
that in the current market, any cruise line would be crazy to use just one
method of selling cruises. There is a market for people who want to use a
travel agent and there is a market for people who want to book direct.
Smart cruise lines will make the most of both distribution systems.... and
not make the mistake of relying on only one way of selling anything.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Jeff Coudriet

Hmmm...interesting! I can say no really well though! I guess I'm the
type to who wouldn't book direct with the cruise line....I'd always pick
a cruise only TA who rebates commission! I've never found a better or
cheaper way!

Jeff

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Bill C

Jeff,
I have been reading on cruisecritic.com how some people get the lowest quote
they can on the internet and then call CCL and they match the quote. I have
stated I don't believe it but they insist they've done it. Anythings
possible I guess.

Bill

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:26 PM
GRL

I tried it, got a price from an on-line TA then called CCL to ask them to
match it. All they would do is take the order and then phone it in to the
on-line TA for me. The CCL direct discount price for someone from my home
state was about 5% higher than the on-line TA and MUCH lower than what other
on-line TA's had on their web sites. Taught me to call CCL direct before I
book to make sure that the direct rate is not better and to make sure the
CCL agent looks through all the myriad discounts I might qualify for.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

Old September 14th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article , "EileenMcDonald"
wrote:

But the plot thickens....last night Carnival called me for the third
time!

Carnival also called me, last week. Like you, I had registered at the site,
giving my real name and phone #.

By the way, since my husband told them I was a travel agent, they haven't
called back. Just a thought.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Theresa

I have sailed Carnival once about 4 years ago.

In May, I was looking for a last minute Alaskan cruise and logged on
to Carnvial's site to look at pricing for their Alaskan cruise. Not
sure if I logged on to the right part of their website, but I had to
provide my phone number, etc. . I didn't think twice - I used my real
number. To make a long story short......I ended up booking a Princess
ship.

But the very next day, I received a call from Carnival asking if I was
ready to book the Carnival Spirit which I had priced the night before.
I wasn't too happy to receive the call. All I had done was look at
pricing on their website.

Now, I know better. I use someone else's site to look at Carnival's
pricing.
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Mason Barge

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:21:07 GMT, Jeff Coudriet
wrote:

Hmmm, interesting. My little "experiment", as I'm calling it now,
continues. They called me for a fourth time today! Maybe they checked
our credit card records or something and said "he's a keeper"!!

Jeff

Jeff -- free legal advice. You need to use the eight magic words:

"Please put me on your don't call list"

I've never actually sued someone for this, but for faxes, the next
offense costs them $500 if you want to push it.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln