Explorer vs Radiance

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Aubrey Scott

Default Explorer vs Radiance

Looking for info from anyone who has sailed on both ships. Must
decide between the two and all financal and route factors are equal
(with the exception of FLL via MIA, which is not big deal either way
for us). Mostly concerned about the energy of the crowd on board.
Would you classifiy any difference between the passenger demographics
on these ships?

Some insight into our profile: We're not party animals by any stretch
but have tended to enjoy cruises more where there were younger couples
and mixed singles. It's been 6 years since we've been on RCCL but we
had a great time then. Since then we've done a Celebrity (7-day
Mercury, dull and boring) and two Princess (7-day Grand was great;
10-day Ocean Princess was nice but a little too sedate).

It is most likely we will do both ships, one this year and one next.
But as our priorities change from year to year, the latter may not
happen. So if you were in my shoes, which would you choose?

TIA!
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Howard Garland

I've been on the Explorer and a couple of sister ships of the Radiance
(Brilliance and Serenade). Our Explorer cruise was to the Carib,
whereas on the other two ships we did transatlantics. I had a wonderful
time on all of these beautiful ships. Given what you've stated below, I
would definitely choose the Explorer, with it's awesome disco, great
deck parties, wonderful bands (at least when I was on the ship), and
young crowd.

Howard

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Brian Kelley

we sailed the radiance 2 years ago and the Adventure(sister to explorer)
last year. My wife and I both preferred the Radiance. They are both
beautiful but the radiance seems more elegant and refined while the
adventure seems more of a family type ship. If I was taking the kids, I'd go
on the Explorer, but if just the wife and I, Radiance wins hands down. BK

Old September 13th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Tom & Linda

While I've not been on either, someone I spoke to offered this
perspective:

Radiance is an upgrade to the Vision class ship (Grandeur, Enchantment,
etc.). A little bigger. A little more of this and that. Modernized.
Kicked up a notch.

Explorer (a Voyager class ship) on the other hand is a whole new beast.
Long, large promenade. Parades in the evening. Ice skating rink.

Personally I like the 77,000 ton size ships and the 92,000 ton Millie
Celebrity ships (I like dull and boring on a cruise). But from what
I've read, most people just LOVE the Voyager class ships.

I would suggest that you go with Explorer just for something TOTALLY
different.

--Tom

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Jim

Aubrey,
I have done both and posted reviews for both in the readers review area
of www.cruisemates.com. The Explorer is a more active crowd and a bit
younger as there is tons of activities on those Voyager Class ships. It was
a very active crowd with very good entertainment and the food fare was
little better than other most RCI ships I have been on and good. Service is
also very good but our waiter was a little 'pretentious' for us.
The Radiance is one of the prettiest ships we have sailed on and very
classy IMHO. The passengers were a little more 'elegant and sophisticated on
this ship for that cruise compared to the Explorer for that cruise. I make
that mention because it could be 180 degrees different at any time. The food
on the Radiance was the best of any RCI ship we have done and the service
was very good and personalized and friendly. Had a wonderful time and it was
one of our 'better' cruises. The only complain about the Radiance or any
ship of that class is the difficulty in getting from one lace to another.
There are no aft stairways or elevators, (emergency ones only), so if your
cabin is towards the aft you must walk all the way to amidships to go up or
down any levels. The 'lounges' are also set up in a row so that you have to
walk through one to get to the next and so on down the line and that could
be difficult when there was crowds about. I really think both are very good
choices and the difference is do you want action, or something classier.
Jim

Old September 14th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Sonny

My wife and I have been on 19 RCCL cruises. We have been on the Radiance
and the Brilliance which are beautiful ships. We still prefer the Mega
ships. We were on the Navigator in April and are booked for the Mariner in
Feb. Which ever you decide you will be in awe.

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Benjamin Smith

Tom & Linda wrote:
While I've not been on either, someone I spoke to offered this
perspective:

Radiance is an upgrade to the Vision class ship (Grandeur, Enchantment,
etc.). A little bigger. A little more of this and that. Modernized.
Kicked up a notch.

Explorer (a Voyager class ship) on the other hand is a whole new beast.
Long, large promenade. Parades in the evening. Ice skating rink.

Personally I like the 77,000 ton size ships and the 92,000 ton Millie
Celebrity ships (I like dull and boring on a cruise). But from what
I've read, most people just LOVE the Voyager class ships.

I would suggest that you go with Explorer just for something TOTALLY
different.

I sailed the Explorer in 2000. I challenge this notion that Explorer is
something totally different. It has many of RCI's signatures including a
Champange Bar, Royal Crown lounge, centrums, schooner bar, etc. And
these areas very much resemble the areas of Vision class ships as do the
style of art and general furnishings. Staterooms are very RCI, Radiance
is something of a departure. Explorer, and other Voyager class ships,
have the Royal Promenade. That is the only thing that truly
distinguishes it IMO. The ice skating rink is a nice extra, but it is on
a lower deck than most public areas, and isn't in the "heart" of the
ship like the Royal Promenade . I'd say the Explorer will offer a blend
of familiar RCI features along with some novel feature of the class. So,
it really isn't totally different than other RCI ships. Radiance, in
some ways, is a departure for RCI, still an evolution, but the ships
move in a more elegant direction than the Voyager ships.

Ben S.

--Tom

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Tom & Linda

What do you think was the driver for making the Radiance Class Ships
more elegant than other RCI ships? To me, RCI is more about "program",
about activities, RCI signatures, about rock climbing, splashy
interiors, 12 deck atriums. Iggy Pop. Not really about elegance.

--Tom

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Benjamin Smith

Tom & Linda wrote:
What do you think was the driver for making the Radiance Class Ships
more elegant than other RCI ships? To me, RCI is more about "program",
about activities, RCI signatures, about rock climbing, splashy
interiors, 12 deck atriums. Iggy Pop. Not really about elegance.

They are more elegant in an RCI-like way. I agree RCI is more about
"program" but it seems many polls have people liking RCI ships most of
all of the mass market ships and find them elegant. There's a move
towards darker colors and more wood veneer, I think it is part of the
evolution and part of changing style over the years. Some find a
Celebrity influence but really there's none there (only to the extent
that all lines are influenced by each other). Different designers are
used for the two lines.

Ben S.

--Tom

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Mason Barge

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:00:05 GMT, Tom & Linda
wrote:

What do you think was the driver for making the Radiance Class Ships
more elegant than other RCI ships? To me, RCI is more about "program",
about activities, RCI signatures, about rock climbing, splashy
interiors, 12 deck atriums. Iggy Pop. Not really about elegance.

--Tom

I don't think this is so unusual, really. Carnival now has four
Spirit class ships which are distinctly a different "brand" from the
other Carnvial ships, new and old.

HAL has the Vista class that while not such a radical departure, are
pretty much the equivalent of Celebrity's Millennium class.

Personally, I think the most ill-advised of these is Carnival's Spirit
class, which really could use a different name.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln