Remember horse racing??

Old November 27th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Eileen Garland

Default Remember horse racing??

I have seen horse racing more than once on cruises. They still do it on
some ships. We were even part owners once. It was cute.

Eileen

Candy wrote:

Our favorite was on the old Seawind Crown. Passengers would bid on and
"buy" the horses, then give them a name, decorate them and carry them
all over the ship for days, then race them on the last sea day. We bid
for awhile, but one group got up $600 for their horse (a little rich for
my gambling budget) and we quit. Bets on the races were otherwise the
same. I have not seen this on another ship until the Norway this year.

Candy

Ebbtide wrote:

Do they still do that on some cruises? I haven't seen it !!!

Old November 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Ebbtide

That sounds like my kind of cruise!! Lots of fun.

"mrtractor" wrote in message
et...
We just returned from the Radiance and we put together an "ownership

group"
to purchase a horse. We bid and won. On the advice of one of our group, a
real gambler, we took # 4, apparently her lucky number. We trained it all
week, carried it around with us everywhere, got her picture taken with the
captain and fed it a steady diet of pizza and Budweiser. Our jockey,

Kimmie,
showed up in a bikini with a coconut shell top and a feathered Mardi Gras
mask. Very distracting for the other jockeys! (All part of our strategy).

We even foiled a horsenapping plot!

Anyway, our horse won! It was a double overtime, come from behind, down to
the wire, PHOTO FINISH! I'm not making any of this up. We won a bundle and
had a ball doing it. There is a picture of our "Winners Circle" on
www.webshots.com search for user mrtractor1.

This was our first experience getting involved in this since our first
cruise in 1990. I've seen it on most of the ships but haven't bothered

doing
it. Besides being an old cruising tradition, it can be great fun! I am
writing a story about this and will try to get it in one of the paper mags
this coming year. Stay tuned.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

MrTractor

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message
They had it on the Grand Princess in October.

--
Greg
lid

Old November 27th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Charles

In article , Ebbtide
wrote:

Do they still do that on some cruises? I haven't seen it !!!

On Princess they have it. I watched the race on Island Princess a few
weeks ago. I have also seen horse racing on RCI ships. I don't recall
it on Celebrity but maybe I just didn't notice.

--
Charles
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Ebbtide

No not on Celebrity or HAL - too conservative I suppose. Like I said, I was
on the Norway last year and they did not have it.
I have been on 3 NCL cruises in the past and have not seen it.
I saw it in the old days!!! - Oceanic, Emerald Seas, World Explorer Cruise.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Dick Goldhaber

They beat the heck out of Bingo every day on Statendam but they never did do
the Horse Races.

DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:47 PM
mrtractor

I've only done it once before this time and the last time was on Holland
America's Noordam. Have they stopped this on all their ships?

MrTractor
"Ebbtide" wrote in message
No not on Celebrity or HAL - too conservative I suppose. Like I said, I

was
on the Norway last year and they did not have it.
I have been on 3 NCL cruises in the past and have not seen it.
I saw it in the old days!!! - Oceanic, Emerald Seas, World Explorer

Cruise.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old November 27th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Susan

We "bought" a horse on the Zaandam a couple years ago. He really enjoyed
sticking his head out from our balcony. Our suite was right behind the bridge
and one day I saw the captain looking at the horse. A few nights later I was
seated next to the captain and introduced myself by saying "we're the ones with
the horse".

During the same cruise we took the horse to dinner in the Marco Polo. We put
my husband's bow-tie and cummerbund on him. When we got there, the waiters
made him a diaper our of a napkin, just in case!

A couple weeks ago I was in the Pinnacle Grill on the Volendam. My waiter said
I looked familiar and wondered where we might have met. Turned out he was a
waiter in the Marco Polo the night we took the horse to dinner! Small world.

Didn't notice horse-racing on the Volendam or the Zuiderdam earlier this year.

Very best,
Susan
Last: Jubilee 5/8/03 W. Caribbean
Next: Volendam 11/1/03
To read about our ballooning adventures go to www.rubberduckie.com
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:26 PM
MJDEEG

wonder why they stoppped??

On one of our cruises, someone ravaged a dancers costume for the feathers. It
was a very expensive costume. Needless to say the bigwigs were mad.
Happy Cruisin'
Mark
Home Port:
Monmouth County,NJ.
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Ebbtide

Apparently they haven't stopped since alot of folks have responded and have
seen or participated in them recently. I just haven't seen any in several
years, so I suppose I am going on the ships that don't have them. I am not
a big fan of them, I was just curious if they were still doing them. I am
going on the N. SUN next week, I'll check it out. It's definitely better
than bingo! (eeks, I am being stoned!)

Joyce