Which NYC airport is cheaper to get to from Manhattan?

Old August 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Alexx

Default Which NYC airport is cheaper to get to from Manhattan?

I shall be at 24th St & 7th Ave for two days. Unfortunately my host is
new and knows nothing about the city. On Monday he goes to work and I
need to be in Chicago by late afternoon. So, with 1/2 a day to kill,
I'd be more in a mood to spend time than money. I need to pick an
airport to fly out of.

Although JFK is farther from Manhattan than is LGA, which one is
actually cheaper to get to? I'll have some luggage but can carry it
short distances.

I assume that the train would make JFK cheaper to commute to, but I am
not sure. Is there public transportation to LGA?
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Michael Thiele

Alexx schrieb:

I shall be at 24th St & 7th Ave for two days. Unfortunately my host is
new and knows nothing about the city. On Monday he goes to work and I
need to be in Chicago by late afternoon. So, with 1/2 a day to kill,
I'd be more in a mood to spend time than money. I need to pick an
airport to fly out of.

Although JFK is farther from Manhattan than is LGA, which one is
actually cheaper to get to? I'll have some luggage but can carry it
short distances.

I assume that the train would make JFK cheaper to commute to, but I am
not sure. Is there public transportation to LGA?

with a cab: LGA is the cheapest
with public transportation: if you are uptown, there is a direct bus for
one metro ticket ride (1,66-2 USD). with the subway plus one bustrip you
can reach both LGA and JFK from Manhattan (transfers might be included
in ride for 1,66 or 2 USD). EWR can be reached by PATH-train (1,50) and
local NJT bus from Newark Pennstation. Shuttles, or taking LIRR/NJT and
airtrains will be more expensive to any of the 3 airports, between 10
and 15 USD.
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM
FB

Try these websites:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

Old August 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM
FB

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:35 AM
DorothyknowsDallas

Alexx wrote:

I shall be at 24th St & 7th Ave for two days. Unfortunately my host is
new and knows nothing about the city. On Monday he goes to work and I
need to be in Chicago by late afternoon. So, with 1/2 a day to kill,
I'd be more in a mood to spend time than money. I need to pick an
airport to fly out of.

Although JFK is farther from Manhattan than is LGA, which one is
actually cheaper to get to? I'll have some luggage but can carry it
short distances.

I assume that the train would make JFK cheaper to commute to, but I am
not sure. Is there public transportation to LGA?

With public transit, there isn't much of a cost difference in getting to
the airport. There are other factors that should be considered such as
time and the airfares available for when you want to go to Chicago.

Old August 5th, 2004, 07:50 AM
John R. Levine

There is public transportation to LGA, it involves a bus connection at
LGA to the subway. For 24th and 7th, your best bet would be to take
the M-60 a few stops to the last stop in Queens which will also
connect you to the N and W trains. Take that train to Times Square,
transfer to the 1 or 9 to 23th St. You'll be one block away from your
destination. It will cost $2.

This is the right answer, except of course that it's backwards. Buy a
single-ride Metrocard for $2 available at all subway stations, then take
the 1 or 9 to Times Sq, then the N or W to Astoria Blvd, then the M60 bus
to the airport. If you don't like to change trains, you can take the 1
or 9 to 110th St and catch the M60 there, but it's faster to take the
subway to Queens.

I take this route all the time, and it's reasonably fast. At Astoria Blvd
there are signs in the station that direct you to the correct stairway to
go down to the place where the bus stops.

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Reef Fish

(John R. Levine) wrote in message ...
There is public transportation to LGA, it involves a bus connection at
LGA to the subway. For 24th and 7th, your best bet would be to take
the M-60 a few stops to the last stop in Queens which will also
connect you to the N and W trains. Take that train to Times Square,
transfer to the 1 or 9 to 23th St. You'll be one block away from your
destination. It will cost $2.

This is the right answer, except of course that it's backwards. Buy a
single-ride Metrocard for $2 available at all subway stations, then take
the 1 or 9 to Times Sq,

If so, aren't you already in Manhattan??? (I am looking at the
SUBJECT of this thread).

I take this route all the time, and it's reasonably fast.

Perhaps. I can only relate my experience going to Manhattan (Penn
Station, Grand Central Station or the Port Authorities on 42nd St.
Time Square) from Newark to the same a friend of mine took from LGA.

The shuttle bus from the EWR airport takes about 30 minutes (even in
rush hours) to get to Time Sq. I have taken that bus many times.
$9.50 each way, and about half of that for Seniors (65 or above).

A friend of mine took over 3 hours to get from LGA to a Hilton
hotel in Mahattan (not far from Time Sq) and missed a bridge
tournament date he had with me. Neither the tournament director
nor I tought it possible for one whose flight arrival was more
than 3.5 hours from starting time to miss it, but he did.

Taking a taxi may be the SLOWEST way to get anywhere in Manhattan.
My friend was taking one of the SuperShuttles from LGA, I think.

Based on that single comparison, I suspect EWR beats LGA hands down,
in cost and travel time, to get from the airport to Manhatten (central,
near Time Sq. anyway).

-- Bob.
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

Reef Fish wrote:
A friend of mine took over 3 hours to get from LGA to a Hilton
hotel in Mahattan (not far from Time Sq) and missed a bridge
tournament date he had with me. Neither the tournament director
nor I tought it possible for one whose flight arrival was more
than 3.5 hours from starting time to miss it, but he did.

When you are going to/from LGA during peak commute hours you really have to
take the subway for as much of the trip as possible of you'll waste a lot of
time. Take a bus/taxi from the airport to the train and ride that the rest
of the way.

miguel