Kilimanjaro

Old October 1st, 2003, 10:24 PM
Kevin

Default Kilimanjaro

I am planning a trip to E. Africa in January, February, and March.
Part of that trip will include a Kilimanjaro climb. I am a budget
traveler and despise highly organized and absurdly expensive trips.
However, I understand that I will need to make some preparations for
this trip because of accommodation in the area before the climb,
porters, etc... My plan is to try to schedule something when I get in
the area. Can anyone recommend and comment on some of the cheaper
local operators? I understand that I can go for as little as $600 or
as much as $3000 dollars. I am in the 600 dollar rage and being
young, healthy, and somewhat experienced in the world of difficult
uphill treks, don't need whatever luxuries a 3000 dollar climb
provides.

I also wonder about equipment. Do guides/operators provide gear (warm
coats, tent, sleeping bag, etc), or must one provide their own?
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:56 PM
Landon McAfee

My experience was that there's not much difference between what you get for
any price. Everyone's eating basically the same food and staying in the
same accomodations. I used Zara
(http://www.kilimanjaro.co.tz/kilimanjaro.htm) back in August 2001 and I
believe the price was something in the $700 to $800 range. They are based
in Moshi, Tanzania. I believe that you are required to take a guide with
you. There are porters who will help you carry your gear and cook meals if
you are so inclined, but I can't remember if they are required or not.
Guides and porters do expect to be tipped at the conclusion of the trek.

One member of my group needed to rent basically all his gear. He told the
Zara employees this when we arrived in Moshi and they took us to a place
where he was able to rent everything he needed. But, as a recall, it was
not the highest quality gear (he got much colder on the final ascent than I
did; his coat and sleeping bag wasn't as warm, etc.), so if you can afford
to get your own gear, that would probably be better.

Its a great adventure. Have a good time.

Landon

m...

Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
Kevin

Landon,
Thanks for this useful information. I can bring my own gear, but I am
somewhat concerned with the disparage in temperatures between the
plains and the mountain tops. I will be traveling for several months
and for the most part won't need the cold weather gear. Can you
suggest a few "must haves" and then I can rent the rest.
Kevin

"Landon McAfee" wrote in message m...
[...]

m...

Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:43 PM
Landon McAfee

Kevin,
Let me apologize up front for the length of this message. I found your
question harder to answer than it appears it should be on the surface.

Except for the last day, I found that I was comfortable hiking in hiking
pants and a short sleeve t-shirt for most of the trek. It is cold in the
mornings, before you get hiking, and when you stop for breaks and lunch
you'll cool off pretty quickly. Obviously, that's why layering is
important. The final hike to Uhuru is when things get really cold, so its
for that portion of the trek you will need gear you might not already have.

What my friend was unable to find was waterproof gear, a mask for his face,
and a flashlight. Everything else of necessity he was able to rent. I
should also note that where we rented the gear was not a place like you
would find in the U.S.A. or in Europe. The cleanliness of the gear was
questionable and his sleeping bag had an unusual smell. Its not really
important, but the gear he rented wasn't very...umm...lets say fashionable.
It was the source of several jokes during our trek. Given his experience,
my inclination would be to bring everything myself, but that's just personal
preference. I just point it out to give you a "heads up".

I would recommend that you bring a flashlight with extra batteries. You'll
need this for the final climb to Uhuru Peak since it will be at night (since
your guide will be leading, he will probably ask to use it) . In addition,
I'd take some gloves, long underwear, a mask for your face (or a balacava),
a couple of good pairs of hiking socks and sock-liners and a broken-in pair
of hiking boots. Also, I found a fleece jacket or pullover to be very
important. A light, breathable, waterproof jacket is also important (it did
snow and sleet on us during our trek).

Our sleeping bags were by far the bulkiest items we carried with us. So if
light travel is important, then you can probably rent a bag, but it might
not have a pleasant smell and it might not be quite as warm. While my
friend's bag was not the greatest, it was sufficient. We took the Marangu
route up Kili. This route has huts at each campsite, so tents were
unnecessary. Because of this, I do not know if you will need a tent for a
different route, or if you can rent one in Tanzania.

Other important items that you can rent, buy or that you may already be
bringing are a daypack, sunscreen, a cap and sunglasses, and snacks. For
clothing, I would try to avoid cotton and go with a quick-drying fabric that
keeps moisture away from your body.

Let me also add a disclaimer. I've only been to Africa twice, both times
were for only a couple weeks to climb Kili. So I didn't spend much time
in cities, towns and villages. Both trips I took the same route, the
Marangu route. There may be others in this group who have more experience
traveling in Africa who can provide information on a good place to rent
gear. People who took different routes may also have advice.

I had a great time on both my treks and I love talking about it, so if you
have any follow-up questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Landon

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

m...

Old October 7th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Kevin

Landon
Thanks! this is incredibly useful and I will follow your advice to to
the letter. Thanks!!

"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

m...