Edinburgh to New Zealand overland (and sea) - request for advice (longish)...

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
Alfred Molon[_5_]

Default Edinburgh to New Zealand overland (and sea) - request for advice (longish)...

In article .com,
says...

That's the bit that worries me most, too.

Nothing to worry about. Road transportation is very good nowadays in
Cambodia, especially along the main road from the Vietnamese border to
the Thai border in Aranyaprathet.

As I mentioned above, I'm
seriously considering moving the trans-Manchurian portion ahead by one
week - as it stands at the moment we we only have about four spare
days built in for delays - although we could leave HK a day or two
earlier - and I appreciate how exciting and unpredictable bus travel
can be in SE Asia

It's (unfortunately) not that exciting and unpredictable anymore.

(nhad my heart in my mouth a few times on bus
journeys in Thailand and Indonesia)!

Indonesia is entirely a different place. Thailand has an excellent
infrastructure.

The other biggest area of doubt
is how easy the border crossing into Vietnam and the subsequent
journey to Saigon will be and how close to our timetable we can keep.

Haven't tried yet to cross overland from China into Vietnam, but I can
imagine that with a valid visa they will let you through in a matter of
minutes. Anything else would very much surprise me.

Hanoi to Saigon should also be no problem overland, although I did the
trip only by flying. But all I heard and saw in Vietnam leads me to the
assumption that it will be easy to get from Hanoi to Saigon overland.
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
[email protected]

On 9 Aug, 22:25, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article om,
says...

but the central object is to
make the journey to NZ without a plane.

Are you afraid of flying?
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

No, not even remotely - I love planes and flying - although I'm
getting increasingly p****d-off with the whole commercial passenger
flight experience.

This is more an exercise in getting our heads around exactly how much
of planet Earth there is between our home and my place of birth; it's
a trip I've wanted to do for a long time. I think I mentioned earlier
that I'd have liked to have taken a year or so to do it, but this is
all the time that my partner and I can afford at the moment. Maybe
we'll take a more leisurely version of this tour another time...

Old August 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
[email protected]

On 9 Aug, 22:49, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
says...

That's the bit that worries me most, too.

Nothing to worry about. Road transportation is very good nowadays in
Cambodia, especially along the main road from the Vietnamese border to
the Thai border in Aranyaprathet.

Good to know.

As I mentioned above, I'm
seriously considering moving the trans-Manchurian portion ahead by one
week - as it stands at the moment we we only have about four spare
days built in for delays - although we could leave HK a day or two
earlier - and I appreciate how exciting and unpredictable bus travel
can be in SE Asia

It's (unfortunately) not that exciting and unpredictable anymore.

-8- snip -8-

That's also good to hear, given that we'll be on a timetable.

Actually, I'm warming more and more to the idea of leaving around a
week or so earlier from Edinburgh, so that we have some more time in
SE Asia, and maybe an extra day in each of Berlin, Moscow and Beijing.

The other biggest area of doubt
is how easy the border crossing into Vietnam and the subsequent
journey to Saigon will be and how close to our timetable we can keep.

Haven't tried yet to cross overland from China into Vietnam, but I can
imagine that with a valid visa they will let you through in a matter of
minutes. Anything else would very much surprise me.

Hanoi to Saigon should also be no problem overland, although I did the
trip only by flying. But all I heard and saw in Vietnam leads me to the
assumption that it will be easy to get from Hanoi to Saigon overland.

-8- snip -8-

OK, that's also good to hear.

Thanks for the encouraging reports!

Cheers - Adam...

Old August 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
LarbGai

On Aug 10, 5:51 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
Why don't you simply fly between London and Hong Kong?

*****Why don't you stick your finger up your arse and twist it you
turd???????

Old August 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
Trish[_1_]

"LarbGai" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 10, 5:51 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
Why don't you simply fly between London and Hong Kong?

*****Why don't you stick your finger up your arse and twist it you
turd???????

Nice to see Ryanair's customer service department posting.

--
Trish

Dublin

-----------------
-----------------
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
Lennart Petersen

skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
[...]

I'm not afraid of flying but nevertheless I've made a lot of overland
travelling and it's a wonderful experience you can't compare with just
flying to a destination.
Think you'll get a real interesting trip with that itinerary.
Just one thing, possibly you know already that landmines are a threat in
Cambodia so be careful when being outside the cities, don't walk where it's
not complete safe. Good luck with the trip

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
LarbGai

On Aug 11, 3:59 am, "Trish" wrote:
"LarbGai" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 10, 5:51 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
Why don't you simply fly between London and Hong Kong?

*****Why don't you stick your finger up your arse and twist it you
turd???????

Nice to see Ryanair's customer service department posting.

--
Trish

Dublin

******We're here to help Trish............... Any particular service
you require????

*GRIN*

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.misc
[email protected]

On 11 Aug, 07:48, JuanElorza wrote:
a écrit :

-8- for brevity -8-
to Hanoi, then Saigon, then Phnom Penh by bus. We'll try to get to
Siemreap for a day or so to see Angkor Wat, then onwards to the Thai

From Phnom Penh to Saigon, buses : 10 hours or more, bus station 155
Nguyen Hue av., book 2-3 days in advance, get your visa before.

Will hopefully be sorting out visas well in advance. Is it a
requirement to book 2-3 days in advance?

From Phnom Penh to Seam Reap, fast boats (5 hours) and slow boats
(18-24 h) harbour on the Tonle Sap 5 or 6 house blocks north of the
Phnom hill.

From Seam Reap regular buses to Thailand.

border. From there, train to Bangkok, then Kuala Lumpar, then
Singapore. Our schedule (as it stands at the moment) is:

Excellent info - thanks Juan.

Cheers - Adam...