Tourist stuff in Saigon?

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM posted to soc.culture.vietnamese,rec.travel.misc
Dänk 1010011010

Default Tourist stuff in Saigon?

I'm traveling to Vietnam next week, and will be in Saigon for over a
week, with a side trip to Cambodia to see the ruins of Angkor Wat.

Anyway, Saigon sounds pretty boring compared to Phnom Penh and Siem
Reap, so I would like some tips on what an American tourist might
enjoy seeing and doing while there.

Other than my side trip to Cambodia, I'll be limited to day trips
within the Saigon area, so are there any nearby towns or villages
worth visiting?

While living in the Bay Area, I only ever tried Vietnamese food a few
times, and was always turned off by the amount of cilantro they used
(I hate cilantro). Is this typical of all Vietnamese food?

What kind of local alcoholic beverages do they drink, and are they
safe (sanitary, unadulterated)?

Are the tales of dealers selling you weed then turning you in to
police really true?

Are Western tourists really allowed to travel freely within the
country, or do they assign a secret police agent as a 'guide' like
they do in China?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM posted to soc.culture.vietnamese,rec.travel.misc
nancy le

On Nov 17, 6:25*pm, Dänk 1010011010 wrote:
[...]

There are stereotype and prejudice in your statements. Is that the
way you ask people for help?