How Long Did It Take This TSA Agent to Figure Out His Detector Wasn'tWorking?

Old June 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Default How Long Did It Take This TSA Agent to Figure Out His Detector Wasn'tWorking?

Published June 24, 2012
New York Post

NEW YORK – A terminal at New York's JFK Airport had to be evacuated and
hundreds of passengers marched back through security screening Saturday,
all because one Transport Security Administration (TSA) agent failed to
realize his metal detector had been unplugged, sources said.

The stunning error led to hours of delays, two planes called back from
the runway and infinite frustration for furious passengers.

"The truth is, this is the failure of the most basic level of
diligence," a law-enforcement source said.

"How can you expect the public to feel confident of the mission of the
TSA if they don't even know if the lights are turned on?"

The chaos at Terminal 7 was caused by screener Alija Abdul Majed, who
had manned Lane No. 1 during the morning shift with no idea his metal
detector had no juice, sources said.
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

On 6/24/2012 11:06 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:

The chaos at Terminal 7 was caused by screener Alija Abdul Majed, who
had manned Lane No. 1 during the morning shift with no idea his metal
detector had no juice, sources said.

What kind of a design has no indicator that it's not on? Even a $10
smoke detector beeps when the battery is low, surely there should be a
battery-backed-up indicator that the machine is off.

I went through security in Shanghai and Vancouver recently. More
rigorous security but without all the ridiculousness of removing shoes
and non-metal belts, etc.
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of , SMS
said:

On 6/24/2012 11:06 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:

The chaos at Terminal 7 was caused by screener Alija Abdul Majed, who
had manned Lane No. 1 during the morning shift with no idea his metal
detector had no juice, sources said.

What kind of a design has no indicator that it's not on? Even a $10
smoke detector beeps when the battery is low, surely there should be a
battery-backed-up indicator that the machine is off.

Not only is there an indicator, but there's also an indicator everytime
anyone walks through.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

The best part is that re-screening people is borderline useless since
someone who snuck something through can leave it inside the sterile area
and pick it up after the fact.

--
Jack: So what's your impression of Alar?
Teal'C: That he is concealing something.
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 6/25/2012 8:35 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode , SMS
said:

On 6/24/2012 11:06 AM, Sancho Panza wrote:

The chaos at Terminal 7 was caused by screener Alija Abdul Majed, who
had manned Lane No. 1 during the morning shift with no idea his metal
detector had no juice, sources said.

What kind of a design has no indicator that it's not on? Even a $10
smoke detector beeps when the battery is low, surely there should be a
battery-backed-up indicator that the machine is off.

Not only is there an indicator, but there's also an indicator everytime
anyone walks through.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

The best part is that re-screening people is borderline useless since
someone who snuck something through can leave it inside the sterile area
and pick it up after the fact.

An extremely valid point that would go along with the possibility that
the failure was not necessarily "stupid."

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Syamu Mamilla MMM

goodjob

Old June 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

I wonder why the agent wasn't suspicious that no one set it off. There has got
to be some small percentile that get caught with a piece of metal.

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of , Sancho Panza
said:

On 6/25/2012 8:35 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:

Not only is there an indicator, but there's also an indicator everytime
anyone walks through.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

The best part is that re-screening people is borderline useless since
someone who snuck something through can leave it inside the sterile area
and pick it up after the fact.

An extremely valid point that would go along with the possibility that
the failure was not necessarily "stupid."

How is this not stupid? Now admittedly I've never trained as a TSA
agent, but at least in every job I've ever worked on, step #1 is to turn
the equipment on (if it's not already)

--
The following was seen at a car dealership,
announcing new seat belt legislation:

"Belt your family. It's the law."
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 6/26/2012 11:22 AM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode , Sancho Panza
said:

On 6/25/2012 8:35 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:

Not only is there an indicator, but there's also an indicator everytime
anyone walks through.

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid.

The best part is that re-screening people is borderline useless since
someone who snuck something through can leave it inside the sterile area
and pick it up after the fact.

An extremely valid point that would go along with the possibility that
the failure was not necessarily "stupid."

How is this not stupid? Now admittedly I've never trained as a TSA
agent, but at least in every job I've ever worked on, step #1 is to turn
the equipment on (if it's not already)

Ummm, intentional? Dry run, etc.

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

In article ,
Binyamin Dissen wrote:
I wonder why the agent wasn't suspicious that no one set it off. There has got
to be some small percentile that get caught with a piece of metal.

The detectors have a light that changes color when people walk through
it, even if it doesn't beep. I wonder, ah, what he might have
ingested before reporting to work.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 6/26/2012 3:40 PM, John Levine wrote:
In ,
Binyamin wrote:
I wonder why the agent wasn't suspicious that no one set it off. There has got
to be some small percentile that get caught with a piece of metal.

The detectors have a light that changes color when people walk through
it, even if it doesn't beep. I wonder, ah, what he might have
ingested before reporting to work.

An antagonistic ideology?