Where's the outrage in the US over black on black killings?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan[_1_]

Default Where's the outrage in the US over black on black killings?

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...omtues.art.htm

Where's the outrage over black-on-black killings?
By DeWayne Wickham

BALTIMORE - A couple of days before Christmas, I phoned Patricia
West, an old friend I hadn't spoken to in years. It was a call I didn't
want to make - the kind of call no one should ever have to place.

It was a brief conversation, a few minutes of aimless chatter that
quickly went from awkward laughter to muffled crying. I called her to
say how devastated I was to hear that her son had been killed. His
death was reported in the final paragraph of a short crime story in The
(Baltimore) Sun that gave the bare facts of his demise.

"The other homicide victim, Kevin West, 39, of the 9000 block of Meadow
Heights Road in Randallstown, was found fatally shot shortly after 8
a.m. Saturday by officers investigating reported gunfire in the 2800
block of Virginia Ave., police said."

Kevin West's murder was the 260th homicide this year in Baltimore - a
city in which virtually all of the murder victims and those arrested
for murder are black. On the same day that he was gunned down, tens of
thousands of demonstrators marched down Fifth Avenue in New York to
protest the Nov. 25 killing of another black man. Sean Bell was felled
by a hail of police gunfire moments after he and two friends left his
bachelor party early on the morning of the day he was to have been
married.

Just why the cops fired on the unarmed men is unclear. Bell's death
drew the scorn of civil rights leaders and black activists, many of
whom took part in the march. West's killing has generated no such
attention.

And that makes me made as hell.

As troubling as it is that Bell's life might have been cut short by the
unlawful actions of some rogue cops, it bothers me more that most of
this nation's black murder victims are killed by other blacks. And
despite this chilling fact, nowhere have tens of thousands of people
taken to the streets recently to protest this carnage. Not in New York,
or Baltimore, or Atlanta, or Detroit, or Chicago. Nowhere.

Of the country's 14,860 homicide victims in 2005, 7,125 were black,
according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report. And of the 3,289 cases
that year in which a single black was killed by a single assailant, the
FBI says, 91% of the killers were black.

Let me put this another way: The number of blacks killed in 2005 in
this one homicide category alone approaches the total of all the blacks
lynched in this country from 1882 to 1968, according to records
maintained by Tuskegee University.

So why aren't black leaders taking up this fight? Why do so many turn
out to decry the death of one black man at the hands of some cops, but
no mass rallies take on the deaths of thousands of blacks who are
slaughtered by other blacks?

"I think it's because we know it's our fault, and we're constantly
looking for someone else to blame," says Baltimore City Police
Commissioner Leonard Hamm, who, like me, grew up in Cherry Hill, a poor
black neighborhood on the city's south side.

Hamm says most black leaders are afraid to address this issue, afraid
to confront the apathy, fear and indifference that allow many poor
black neighborhoods to become killing fields.

He could be right.

But whatever the reason, it's time for black leaders - activists,
preachers, educators, politicians, business and community leaders -
to say enough is enough.

It's time for them to be as aggressive, and as demanding, in combating
the black murder rate as they are in fighting for an increase in
minimum wage or an expansion in health care.

The ripple effects of black-on-black killings have turned many inner
city neighborhoods into urban wastelands, chased businesses from those
communities, fueled a growth in other crimes and sapped the resources
of local governments.

As mad as black folks have a right to be over the killing of Sean Bell,
we ought to be angry over the failure of black leaders to be equally
outraged over the murder of Kevin West - and the thousands of blacks
who are killed each year by other blacks.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Stan

"PJ O'Donovan" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...omtues.art.htm

Where's the outrage over black-on-black killings?
By DeWayne Wickham

It just shows that African Americans who have never been to Africa or know
where it is on a map still behave like Africans.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Volker Hetzer

PJ O'Donovan schrieb:
[...]
Not in rec.travel.europe.

Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Fred Bloggs

In article ,
says...
PJ O'Donovan schrieb:
[...]
Not in rec.travel.europe.

Volker

All togethher now:

**** off from RTE you prick
Coz it's aaalll yooourr fault
Your stultifying whines
Are making me feel sick aah aah

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Runge

Like his pal evleth does, your comment will be ignored.

"Volker Hetzer" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
PJ O'Donovan schrieb:
[...]
Not in rec.travel.europe.

Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on 2 Jan 2007 07:40:38 -0800, "PJ O'Donovan"
writted:

And that makes me made as hell.

Oooh that's ugly! Hit the spell check, and don't bother with anything
like a re-read.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

PJ O'Donovan wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...omtues.art.htm

Where's the outrage over black-on-black killings?
By DeWayne Wickham

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ ..............

What the boring **** is a "Black activist".

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
veritas

PJ O'Donovan wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...omtues.art.htm

block of Virginia Ave., police said."

Kevin West's murder was the 260th homicide this year in Baltimore - a
city in which virtually all of the murder victims and those arrested
for murder are black.

I have no argument about fencing them off, providing firearms to them and not intervening while
they kill each other off!

In the end, nature, itself, always provides a solution.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe
Stan

"veritas" wrote in message

(snipped)
In the end, nature, itself, always provides a solution.

But our moralising about behaviour inhibits nature. We actually prevent
nature taking its course with them. Notice how billions are going to be
spent on Africans with Aids. I mean...why? So they can breed more,
infect more, and demand more white man's drugs to cure more of them. The
cycle actually gets worse by helping them. Why should we bother for moral
reasons when *they* have none.

Letting nature take its course is now against the law. That would be
called 'gross neglect' if you let nature take its course.

And yes, let them kill each other off. But the UN would step in with
their moralising and demand the white man takes steps to stop them....and
feed them in the meantime.

Nature doesn't stand a chance nowadays, especially when you even have
gormless pop singers feeling sorry for them and demanding * your* taxes get
spent on them when they themselves have lawyers making sure they only pay
theirs in the Cayman Islands.