southern california to Colorado Springs, Colorado

Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
kevincw01

Default southern california to Colorado Springs, Colorado

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Huntington Beach, Ca. to
Colorado Springs, Co. We would appreciate any suggestions for
sight-seeing on our way there. On our way back we plan to stop in
vegas for near years so we will skip that on the way there.

-Kevin

Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Well the main overlook at the Grand Canyon is one obvious thing to see
on that route if it ain't snowin'. Meteor Crater too.
http://www.nps.gov/grca
http://www.meteorcrater.com/

You come to a decision point in northeastern Arizona: through the
Four Corners area and thence your choice of the Colorado Rockies or US
64 across to Taos and then Raton; or stick with the Interstate?
Depends on prevailing conditions and how much you like winter/mountain
driving.

The safe choice for bad weather or people who *don't* like
winter/mountain driving is the 15 to I-40 to Albuquerque and then up
I-25. Not bad as Interstate scenery goes, and you can duck into Santa
Fe quite easily.
http://www-afrd.lbl.gov/ipcc01archive/explore.htm

Sights to see on that last leg might include include
http://www.uwcaw.uwc.org/about/montezumacastle.htm

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe

Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
sid derra

"kevincw01" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife and I are planning a road trip from Huntington Beach, Ca. to
Colorado Springs, Co. We would appreciate any suggestions for
sight-seeing on our way there. On our way back we plan to stop in
vegas for near years so we will skip that on the way there.

-Kevin

in colorado springs mae sure to check out the garden of the gods. its a
great area. also dont forget to reserve a day for denver. its a really
pretty city. since i never made it further west than denver thats about as
much help as i can offer ;-)

sid

Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
kevincw01

Thanks for the tips so far. I will definitely get to all of those. As
for winter driving, I will be driving my new dodge ram 4x4 so maybe
I'll opt for the rockies . However, I don't want to add too much
time to my commute so who knows?