Shopping in St Thomas????

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Finz Up

Default Shopping in St Thomas????

OK, after or before the beach? We get into port at 7AM, when do the
shops open?
Where is the best place to go shopping...I'm just interested in perfume,
beauty products, maybe some gold bracelets. And liquor, if it's cheap
enough to be a worthwhile purchase. Is it really substantially cheaper
than here in the US? Like how much difference in a good bottle of vodka?

One more...do they sell/rent rafts or floating toys at Megans's Bay?

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Plasma

Downtown will be crowded in the morning. By shopping in the afternoon,
merchants know your time is limited and places where prices are negotiable
are slightly more anxious to close a deal. Booze is usually a good deal but
make it your last purchase of the day so you don't carry it... that is,
unless you use someone who delivers to the ship.

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Since we are not "beach people" we tend to shop early and then go back to
the ship and sit by the pool.

A couple of tips from folks who have been cruising since the early '70s.
Liquor is substantially cheaper in St. Thomas, and you are able to bring
back 5 liters per person plus a sixth if it is locally produced. If you go
for the sixth, we recommend something called Chococo, which is a chocolate
coconut liqueur. Great on vanilla ice cream.

Most liquor stores will box your purchase and send it to the ship thus
allowing you to continue your shopping without having to worry about
carrying it with you. The purchase is then delivered to your cabin on the
last night of the cruise.

What is important to remember is that while the price of liquor is void of
all of the taxes we have to pay here in the states, it becomes an extra box
or two that you will have to carry off of the ship when you return to the
debarkation point. It isn't something that you want to put outside your
cabin since everyone who handles it will know what is inside.

The price for a liter of Absolut is around $9.00.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Crescent

Yes, but if memory serves, you only get a liter per person to bring
home without paying duty. So you save maybe $10 a bottle that you
have to lug home & worry about it breaking in your luggage. A little
perspective is in order here since you probably spent about $1000+ per
person and you might save $10 a bottle on booze.

If you're going to buy booze, buy the stuff you can't get in the
states. I bought a bunch of bottles of Cruzan rum one year and a year
after the cruise, it became available in our local liquor store.

In short, buy the good stuff or buy something exotic. A bottle of
Absolute may save you $10.

And yes,they sell floats at Megan's Bay.

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Tom & Linda

"Finz Up" wrote in message
OK, after or before the beach? We get into port at 7AM, when do the
shops open?
Where is the best place to go shopping...

There is a mall (Havensight Mall) right where the ship docks. It's got...
oh... about 50-100 (give or take) stores right there within walking distance
of the ship.

--Tom

Old May 6th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Dave Beers

Yes, but if memory serves, you only get a liter per person to bring
home without paying duty.

Memory fails. 1 liter is not true for the US Virgin Islands. As
another post noted, in the USVI you can get 5 liters plus 1 liter of
locally made stuff before paying duty - so a couple of adults can
truly load up on booze, which is my plan in about 4 weeks.

Dave
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Tom & Linda wrote:
"Finz Up" wrote in message

OK, after or before the beach? We get into port at 7AM, when do the
shops open?
Where is the best place to go shopping...

There is a mall (Havensight Mall) right where the ship docks. It's got...
oh... about 50-100 (give or take) stores right there within walking distance
of the ship.

If you go downtown, you will find the same stores that are at
Havensight. The stores will be larger and have a better selection.

sue