NY City

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
dutchy

Default NY City

Will be staying in Darien CT for two weeks in July. Planning day trips to NY
City either with the Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line train service or
driving ourselves and parking. The latter seems to come out much cheaper in
our case. ( 2 adults & 2 teens). We thought of driving and parking in or
around 42nd ave East then walk and bus.
Question 1: is this train safe to travel late at night?
Question 2: Has anyone dealt with Icon Parking in NY ... and its space
guarantee.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"dutchy" wrote:

Will be staying in Darien CT for two weeks in July. Planning day trips to NY
City either with the Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line train service or
driving ourselves and parking. The latter seems to come out much cheaper in
our case. ( 2 adults & 2 teens). We thought of driving and parking in or
around 42nd ave East then walk and bus.
Question 1: is this train safe to travel late at night?

Its no different than traveling during the day. As long as you use good
common sense, you'll be fine using the train system in NYC any time.

Question 2: Has anyone dealt with Icon Parking in NY ... and its space
guarantee.

Not me.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Ugo Tremblay

I took the NewHaven-NYC train alone, a few (four maybe) years ago. Some
areas look creepy, but I would say that it is safe. Follow the basic rules,
like avoid sitting in empty wagon.
Also, I drove there in April and left my car at Icon, on 46th St and 1st Av.
30$ tax included for 24 hours. That garage was closed at night. They may
have a surcharge for large vehicule (van, SUV). I think you can also make a
reservation. I think you can rely on them.
There is also Central Parking Corp. www.parking.com

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:29 AM
Larry Finch

dutchy wrote:

Will be staying in Darien CT for two weeks in July. Planning day trips to NY
City either with the Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line train service or
driving ourselves and parking. The latter seems to come out much cheaper in
our case. ( 2 adults & 2 teens). We thought of driving and parking in or
around 42nd ave East then walk and bus.
Question 1: is this train safe to travel late at night?
Question 2: Has anyone dealt with Icon Parking in NY ... and its space
guarantee.

Icon is one of the largest parking lot operators in the city. They are
everywhere. You will save considerable money parking at one of the less
expensive lots on the West side. There's a large one at 59th Street and 11th
Ave, which was $12 a day last time I parked there a couple of years ago. Or the
Port Authority garage (over the bus terminal) at 40th street and 9th ave. Or
Manhattan Plaza Garage, 42nd street between 9th and 10th avenues.

Getting there is no harder than getting to the east side, as Manhattan narrows
to almost a point at the northern end. So you can take the West side highways as
easily as the East side (and usually encounter less traffic).

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
Miguel Cruz

dutchy wrote:
Will be staying in Darien CT for two weeks in July. Planning day trips to NY
City either with the Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line train service or
driving ourselves and parking. The latter seems to come out much cheaper in
our case. ( 2 adults & 2 teens). We thought of driving and parking in or
around 42nd ave East then walk and bus.
Question 1: is this train safe to travel late at night?

I've taken the last train of the night (around 1am) from NYC to New Haven at
least 25 times, probably more. Never saw any problems. Mostly it's just
really tired Wall Street types.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM
Pan

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:47:13 -0400, "dutchy"
wrote:

Will be staying in Darien CT for two weeks in July. Planning day trips to NY
City either with the Metro-North Railroad New Haven Line train service

That would be the New Haven Line of Metro North.

or
driving ourselves and parking. The latter seems to come out much cheaper in
our case. ( 2 adults & 2 teens).

Maybe somewhat cheaper, but much cheaper? Have you priced parking
garages in New York? OK, you could find a spot on the street
somewhere, but some neighborhoods are really tough to park in. Also,
factor in the possible aggravation of dealing with traffic -
especially if you plan on driving in Midtown.

We thought of driving and parking in or
around 42nd ave

That would be 42 St.

East then walk and bus.

I'm guessing that parking on E. 42 St. would be harder than on a side
street close to the Hudson River (way west on W. 43, 44, whatever
St.).

Question 1: is this train safe to travel late at night?

Yes.

Question 2: Has anyone dealt with Icon Parking in NY ... and its space
guarantee.

Can't help you there.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.