Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

Old April 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

Default Eurostar generates ten times less CO2 than flying the same routes

On Apr 5, 11:50 am, Martin wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 07:36:28 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:

On Apr 5, 9:11 am, Martin wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 06:59:04 -0700, "Iceman" wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:06 am, Martin wrote:
- only the crappiest Third World airlines have any
statistically noticeable risks.

The plane I saw at Rome airport with the top of the fuselage burnt off as the
result of a terrorist's grenade belonged to Pan Am.

One incident doesn't prove anything.

I am sure you can recall other incidents that happened to Pan Am flights.

A few incidents in the entire history of the airline are completely
insignificant statistically when viewed in light of hundreds of
thousands of safe flights.

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"William Black" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Deeply Filled Mortician"
wrote in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Tue, 3 Apr 2007 23:27:29 +0100,
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com has scripted:

I didn't like the train journey.

I can't imagine why. I found it very pleasant all the times I did it.

I prefer the baggage handling facilities on an air flight and do not
enjoy the company of uncontrolled and noisy children.

You enjoy being treated as if you're halfway between a disobedient child
and a deranged suicide bomber?

For all anyone knows, I, or any of my fellow passengers, might just be the
latter, so no, I don't.

You enjoy hanging about in a departure area (I refuse to call it a
'lounge'.) for an hour and a half because the security systems are so
inefficient?

In Gatwick, I usually find I'm still looking around the shops when the
flight is called. Elsewhere, I simply read. At least I don't have to carry
my own bags around while doing so.

You enjoy being patted down by a bored and inefficient security guard
while being watched by heavily armed cops?

I don't know - it hasn't happened in over 40 years of air travel.

You enjoy being limited in the amount of luggage you can take and being
charged punitive amounts of money if you dare transgress that
limit(outside the US anyway)?

I've often wondered how people manage to pack enough to even reach their
baggage allowance.

My experience with children is that they're just as noisy on an airplane
as anywhere else, and much more prone to tears...

I've never been on an aircraft where they run up and down the aisle
screaming at each other.

Trains every time for me.

You can get up and walk away from noisy children,

Only if there are spare seats available elsewhere, which there were not.

nobody every tried to stop me taking loads of luggage

As you have to carry your own baggage, I would have thought that
self-limiting.

and, so far, nobody with a gun has taken any interest whatsoever in my
activities before boarding a long distance train,

Try boarding Eurostar, the subject of this thread.

including in India, where the trains do get blown up now and again by
terrorists...

As European trains have been and, as soft targets, are quite likely to be
again.

Colin Bignell

Old April 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
I prefer the baggage handling facilities on an air flight and do not
enjoy the company of uncontrolled and noisy children.

You enjoy being treated as if you're halfway between a disobedient child
and a deranged suicide bomber?

For all anyone knows, I, or any of my fellow passengers, might just be
the latter, so no, I don't.

Terrorist precautions I can live with. Silly questions and people saying
'stand in that queue sir' I don't need...

It's a fast expensive bus, not an exotic form of transport.

You enjoy hanging about in a departure area (I refuse to call it a
'lounge'.) for an hour and a half because the security systems are so
inefficient?

In Gatwick, I usually find I'm still looking around the shops when the
flight is called. Elsewhere, I simply read. At least I don't have to carry
my own bags around while doing so.

I can look around the shops anytime. I buy the cheap booze and then I want
to get on the plane...

You may enjoy shopping, I don't.

You enjoy being patted down by a bored and inefficient security guard
while being watched by heavily armed cops?

I don't know - it hasn't happened in over 40 years of air travel.

It has happened to me several times in the past year.

At four different airports.

Perhaps I shouldn't have long hair...

You enjoy being limited in the amount of luggage you can take and being
charged punitive amounts of money if you dare transgress that
limit(outside the US anyway)?

I've often wondered how people manage to pack enough to even reach their
baggage allowance.

Very few people, except those going away for a weekend, seem to have that
problem.

Why do you think BA and everyone else are busy changing their bvaggage
regulations and introducing extra charges?

If the number of people carrying extra luggage was insignificant the cash
wouldn't be worth collecting.

Transatlantic flights and flights within North America have much higher
baggage limits.

My experience with children is that they're just as noisy on an airplane
as anywhere else, and much more prone to tears...

I've never been on an aircraft where they run up and down the aisle
screaming at each other.

Ever been on an aircraft for over six hours?

As you have to carry your own baggage, I would have thought that
self-limiting.

Modern suitcases have wheels...

including in India, where the trains do get blown up now and again by
terrorists...

As European trains have been and, as soft targets, are quite likely to be
again.

**** happens.

I try to live with that.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:48:44 +0100, "William Black"

wrote:

You enjoy being patted down by a bored and inefficient security guard
while being watched by heavily armed cops?

I don't know - it hasn't happened in over 40 years of air travel.

It has happened to me several times in the past year.

At four different airports.

The combination of being watched by heavily armed cops and a searcher?

I have never seen that. I often wonder what the searcher would do if he
did find
a terrorist.

It's a commonplace at many 3rd World airports.

It happened to me at Heathrow this December.

The cops were friendly and relaxed, but armed, the searcher was obviously
confused, spoke only broken English and if he had ever did find a terrorist
I imagine he'd faint away...

I know it's probably a silly question, but has any physical security check
at any airport ever found a terrorist?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:58:40 +0100, "William Black"

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I don't know, but I suspect it has deterred some.

You believe that airport security is 100% effective at deterring terrorists?

I have a bridge for sale...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"William Black" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I've often wondered how people manage to pack enough to even reach their
baggage allowance.

Very few people, except those going away for a weekend, seem to have
that problem.

I have seen no evidence of that, other than on flights to the Indian
sub-contient, where many passengers seem to be taking the entire contents of
the house with them.

Why do you think BA and everyone else are busy changing their bvaggage
regulations and introducing extra charges?

If the number of people carrying extra luggage was insignificant the cash
wouldn't be worth collecting.

A friend in the industry tells me that the reason is that passengers are
getting heavier and discouraging people from carrying excess baggage helps
offset that when balancing the aircraft.

Transatlantic flights and flights within North America have much higher
baggage limits.

Transatlantic flights normally use bigger aircraft with larger weight
margins and more passengers to average weights across.

My experience with children is that they're just as noisy on an airplane
as anywhere else, and much more prone to tears...

I've never been on an aircraft where they run up and down the aisle
screaming at each other.

Ever been on an aircraft for over six hours?

I make a point of breaking any journey that would involve a flight of more
than about four hours.

As you have to carry your own baggage, I would have thought that
self-limiting.

Modern suitcases have wheels...

....which work well on the smooth floors of an airport but are fairly useless
on the rougher surfaces of most railway stations.

Colin Bignell

Old April 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"William Black" wrote in message
I know it's probably a silly question, but has any physical security
check at any airport ever found a terrorist?

That is how pistols disguised as mobile phones were first discovered.

Colin Bignell

Old April 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"William Black" wrote in message
I know it's probably a silly question, but has any physical security
check at any airport ever found a terrorist?

That is how pistols disguised as mobile phones were first discovered.

And the belt buckle guns as well.

Well apart from reading the more exotic sections of the US gun periodical
sections of the larger newsagents where such devices are advertised...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Unless you've flown into LHR and want to go to Paris right away.

If you could board Eurostar from Heathrow ...

... or fly directly to Paris?
--

That's what I did, fly BMI. But if you could take Eurostar to Gare du
Nord, I guess it would be, it would be a more compelling option.