2007 vacation

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
traveler2007

Default 2007 vacation

I posted something to this group a few months back. The thread more or
less died as I was waiting to get an itinerary from the travel agent.

Our trip is going to be 5 nights in Punta del Este at the Golden Beach
Resort, one night in Montevideo at the Balmoral Hotel and 3 nights in
Buenos Aires at the De Las Americas Hotel.

We opted not to go to Iguazu Falls as it is too much movement in too
short a period of time and we probably would have too much luggage for
the small planes that go to the falls.

I have seen some reviews online for these places. Has anyone in this
group been to any of these hotels?

thanks,

Rich

Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Technobarbarian

"traveler2007" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does this mean that no one in this group is familiar with any of these
three hotels?

Probably not. This group tends to be oriented more toward places than
hotels. Generally speaking the difference between one upscale resort and
another isn't enough to worry about. Generally about the only time we hear
about resorts here is when someone had an experience that made them mad. As
I recall the last complaint of that sort was someone unhappy because an
entertainer had made an uncomplimentary remark about our idiot president.
Valid complaints because there was a serious mismatch between the price paid
and the quality of the accommodations are relatively rare here. If you don't
get the experience you expected you'll know to use a different travel agent
next time. I suspect that most of the folks here are the sort that do some
research, pick a spot on the map, and go.

Is it just me or does not going somewhere because of luggage problems
seem kinda backwards? The stuff I take with me is intended to help me
travel, not hinder me. You probably could have made arrangements for your
hotel to store your extra luggage for you.

TB

Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
JohnM

In article XO1Rg.277$La2.210@fed1read08, Technobarbarian
writes

Is it just me or does not going somewhere because of luggage problems
seem kinda backwards? The stuff I take with me is intended to help me
travel, not hinder me. You probably could have made arrangements for your
hotel to store your extra luggage for you.

I thought so, too. Not going to the Iguaçu Falls because of "too much
luggage" - the mind boggles..

--
JohnM
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

I missed the original post, but here's the portion of it that caught my eye
in someone's reply to it:

"...We opted not to go to Iguazu Falls as it is too much movement in too
short a period of time and we probably would have too much luggage for the
small planes that go to the falls...."

I've been to Argentina a number of times, and it's been my experience that
most hotels will store luggage for guests for a few days while they go off
to another destination.

As to the hotels mentioned in the original post, I don't know them. In
Buenos Aires, I recommend the Ulises Recoleta Suites, in the Recoleta
neighborhood, or the Hotel Crillon, downtown just off the Plaza San Martín;
I've stayed at both several times. At Iguazú, I recommend the Hotel Tropical
Das Cataratas, within the park on the Brazilian side, especially if you can
get a room with a view of the falls.

Old September 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Old September 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Sander van Hulsenbeek

we probably would have too much luggage for
the small planes that go to the falls.

I do not " register " this.

Iguazu is a world class destination and there is an International Airport
serving all jets, except perhaps 747's, at Foz do Iguazu.
You must have a looooooot... of luggage! :-)

Unless you wish to take all on those stupid noisy heli flights that take of
from just outside the National Park.
Expensive, and they are not allowed near the Falls any more anyway.

Indeed , better stay at the Hotel das Cataratas on the Brazil side and
walk - 10 minutes - to the wonderfull viewpoint halfway bewteen the two
cascades.

Sander

Amsterdam

Old September 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
JohnM

In article , Sander van
Hulsenbeek writes
we probably would have too much luggage for
the small planes that go to the falls.

I do not " register " this.

I think the newsgroup's collective jaw dropped there, Sander.

Iguazu is a world class destination and there is an International Airport
serving all jets, except perhaps 747's, at Foz do Iguazu.
You must have a looooooot... of luggage! :-)

I think they mean the smaller airport on the Argentinian side - they
will be coming from BA.

Unless you wish to take all on those stupid noisy heli flights that take of
from just outside the National Park.
Expensive, and they are not allowed near the Falls any more anyway.

They are not? That's a blessing!

--
JohnM
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
WAS

"JohnM" a écrit dans le message de news:
In article , Sander van
Hulsenbeek writes

I think they mean the smaller airport on the Argentinian side - they
will be coming from BA.

Even the planes coming from BA are Boeing 737....

WAS