Meaning of Thai amulets and lucky charms

Old March 1st, 2007, 01:51 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
Ian Chelada

Default Meaning of Thai amulets and lucky charms

In the thai buddha markets many amulets and charms are sold.

One amulet appears to be deer antlers from a young deer, not yet
grown. Around these wire seems to be coiled. A; thai man once tried to
sell me one of these for 300 Baht, which means they must be powerful
amulets.

there is also a figure of a small fat person. It is not the buddha.
The figure appears to have a flower overturned on his head. You cannot
see his face. The figurines are made of a kind of flower paste painted
gold or with gold leaf.

There are many thai magic objects that are not connected to buddhism.

Many of these same amulets and charms will also be used in Laos,
Cambodia, maybe Burmak.

I would be interest in know what these amulets and figures mean (and
if they really work).

Ian C.

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:30 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
...Ken

Aye , yer an eager lad Ian

Sure they work.....ask the tahaan paaan.

A deceased friend of mine, a Thai, trained for the Vietnam war in Canada,
was covered with amulets and magic tattoos......and 4 bullet hole scars.

Obviously they worked ........and worked damned well !

Unfortunately they didn't work for concrete bridge impacts.

However..........I am sure that there is an amulet that protects from
concrete bridge collisions.

Ya just have to purchase the right one.

...Ken

ups.com...

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
[email protected]

That depends on your believe. My uncle drove 3 Japanese engineers
home one night in Kong Sedone.
It rained heavyly and the car crashed off the road. As the car about
to hit the tree, miracle happened, it flipped
to the side instead.

The Japanese couldn't believe, how could the car not crashed straight
to the end of its path.
The asked my uncle if he has any emulate. He took out his buddha from
the compartment and showed
it to them. They said we never practice things like this in Japan.
Did the buddha really safe their lives?

You make the call.

Smooth D

On 3$B7n(B1$BF|(B, $B8aA0(B11:30, "...Ken" wrote:
[...]

Ian C.- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=($7$J$$(B -

- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=((B -

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:05 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
...Ken

wrote in message
oups.com...
That depends on your believe. My uncle drove 3 Japanese engineers
home one night in Kong Sedone.
It rained heavyly and the car crashed off the road. As the car about
to hit the tree, miracle happened, it flipped
to the side instead.

The Japanese couldn't believe, how could the car not crashed straight
to the end of its path.
The asked my uncle if he has any emulate. He took out his buddha from
the compartment and showed
it to them. They said we never practice things like this in Japan.
Did the buddha really safe their lives?

You make the call.

Smooth D

Geez Doug, you are smoothe

...Ken

Old March 1st, 2007, 06:09 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia
Dave Fossett

wrote:

The Japanese couldn't believe, how could the car not crashed straight
to the end of its path.
The asked my uncle if he has any emulate. He took out his buddha from
the compartment and showed
it to them. They said we never practice things like this in Japan.

Maybe not buddhas, but it is extremely common for Japanese people to carry
lucky charms from shrines or temples in their wallets or cars.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old March 1st, 2007, 06:51 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
[email protected]

Ken,

My uncle then brought that buddha to ask his friend who is a buddha
dealer
at Talat Sao. His friend asked where did you get this from? And his
friend
told him he would trade anything and everything for that one buddha.

My uncle realized that he was not joking. So he kept it to himself.

I went back to Laos quite often. For my safety, my uncle decided to
give it
to me for my protection.

My Thai friend saw it, and he told please think of him first before I
give it
to someone else.

Next time OK, gotta go home.

Smooth D

On 3$B7n(B1$BF|(B, $B8a8e(B2:05, "...Ken" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

roups.com...

In the thai buddha markets many amulets and charms are sold.

One amulet appears to be deer antlers from a young deer, not yet
grown. Around these wire seems to be coiled. A; thai man once tried to
sell me one of these for 300 Baht, which means they must be powerful
amulets.

there is also a figure of a small fat person. It is not the buddha.
The figure appears to have a flower overturned on his head. You cannot
see his face. The figurines are made of a kind of flower paste painted
gold or with gold leaf.

There are many thai magic objects that are not connected to buddhism.

Many of these same amulets and charms will also be used in Laos,
Cambodia, maybe Burmak.

I would be interest in know what these amulets and figures mean (and
if they really work).

Ian C.- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=($7$J$$(B -

- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=((B -- $B0zMQ%F%-%9%H$rI=($7$J$$(B -

Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:55 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
Sandy Cruden

Ian Chelada เขียน:
In the thai buddha markets many amulets and charms are sold.

One amulet appears to be deer antlers from a young deer, not yet
grown. Around these wire seems to be coiled. A; thai man once tried to
sell me one of these for 300 Baht, which means they must be powerful
amulets.

Perhaps it just meant that he saw a chance to make a nice profit from
a farang.

Sandy
Huay Khwaang

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
[email protected]

300 baht ain't nothing. I talked to this taxi driver last December,
he said the Buddha called "SOMDET"
can easily fetch for 40 thousand dollars. Among Thais, they said
there are only 4 sacred Somdet Buddha were made.
And even the Thai crown prince is looking for one. He is willing to
give away a brand new mercedez benz for one
Somdet.

Smooth D

Ian Chelada เขียน:

Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.cambodia,soc.culture.laos
[email protected]

On Mar 1, 7:55 pm, "Sandy Cruden" wrote:

One amulet appears to be deer antlers from a young deer, not yet
grown. Around these wire seems to be coiled. A; thai man once tried to
sell me one of these for 300 Baht, which means they must be powerful
amulets.

Perhaps it just meant that he saw a chance to make a nice profit from
a farang.

Sandy
Huay Khwaang

Since I did not buy it, it means the antlers do not have very strong
magick.

Ian C.
sarp