"Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Gregory Morrow

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

nightjar .uk.com wrote:

Up to a value of £145, that is true. Over that, you are liable to pay UK
import duty and VAT, but you should also be able to claim back any taxes

you
paid in the USA when you export the goods.

No. The US does not have VAT.

--
Best
Greg

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Mxsmanic

Gregory Morrow writes:

No. The US does not have VAT.

Yes, it does, but the U.S. calls it sales tax or excise tax. It is
_far_ lower than the VAT in most of Europe, though.

Old February 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
PJ O'Donovan

Earl Evleth wrote in message ...
On 7/02/04 17:42, in article ,
"Sjoerd" wrote:

The day AA flight from Boston to London was only about a quarter filled.
This is a great flight, less than 6 hours and one does not lose a night`s
sleep.
Earl

Best way to get to Europe from the states. We usually layover at
London airport hotel, then fly to continent next morning. No reason to
spend any time in London IMO, Lousy weather, lousy food, lousy
overpriced accommodations with a
high incidence of surly unhappy people. I avoid it as I try to avoid
Newark NJ here for the same reasons. Also try to avoid anywhere in CA
where the weather can be OK but the hi incidence of surly or crazy
people in this land of fruits and nuts coupled with exhorbitant prices
for the discomfort of being there dictates avoidance for this world
traveller.

For what it is worth after 30+ years world travel, at least every six
months per
year on both business and pleasure, I find Australia and Australians
magnificent. Austria with the Austrians more laid back and less
impressed with themselves than the Germans brings Austria to the top
of my list and not to forget Bella Italia with their superb food,
beautiful people, a language that is musical to my ear coupled with
the history and usually good, sunny weather. Of course I love the
rolling green hills and the people and food of Mother Ireland but my
ancestry probably has something to do with my love of it.

Those that disagree can feel free to flame away.
Old February 8th, 2004, 11:49 AM
PJ O'Donovan

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in message ...
PJ O'Donovan wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in message ...

perhaps we should do something about
our trade deficits? (I admit my recent trip to Vienna cost me
considerably more - in US currency - than the one in 2000,

but what can
you expect, with our current administration?)

Yeah, a good fuehrer would do *something* about normal cyclical
currency fluctuations and while he was at it he should do *something*
about tooth decay and hemorrhoids.

The oversimplifications and the simple minded limited perceptions here
are unbelievable.

As are those of the right-wing bigots! (Ithought I'd put you in my
"kill-file" - how did you show up again?)

Typical left wing zealot. "Freedom of speech" applies only to the
disciples of
unworkable Marxist dogma while those who do not agree should be
demonized and gagged.
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
PJ O'Donovan

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in message ...
Olivers wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) muttered...

Well, we enjoyed favorable exchange rates for a long, long time - when
the dollar keeps dropping in value, perhaps we should do something about
our trade deficits? (I admit my recent trip to Vienna cost me
considerably more - in US currency - than the one in 2000, but what can
you expect, with our current administration?)

Quick course in Economics, Ev, the part you must have missed during your
last and lamented miseducation.....

However, my field of expertise is music, not economics -

Obvious based on your convoluted anecdotes on political/economic issues.

in fact the latter made so little sense to my logical mind that I barely
passed the course. (Which I only took to help fulfill graduation
requirements.)

This "logical mind" of yours that you pontificate is not at all in evidence in
the continuing discharges of your political bias here.
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Keith Anderson

"Sjoerd" wrote:

[...]

Surprised you don't like the UK. It has a Prime Minister with his head
right up a right-wing president's arse, who's a champion of global
corporatism, who's dismantling the welfare state and privatising
everything............no wonder there are a load of surly people
around.