One way on round trip ticket on Iberia

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:36 AM
AJC

Default One way on round trip ticket on Iberia

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:40:04 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
.. .
I need to buy my daughter a one way ticket from Madrid to Amsterdam in
July. The one way fare on Iberia is about 8 times the round trip
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion .. I know that some US airlines have attempted to
crack down on that practice. I don't know if its been successful or
if Iberia would tolerate it. Thanks for any information.

You could always easyJet it to Gatwick or Luton, and then over to Amsterdam.
easyJet fares are entirely one way.

I assume the poster knows that http://www.basiqair.com/nl have one
ways MAD-AMS available in July from €49,99 + tax
--==++AJC++==--
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Ulf Kutzner

mtravelkay schrieb:

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

They have no right to charge your credit card automatically, unless you
agreed to it in advance.

You agree to lots of provisions in advance while paying by credit card.
See "small-printed conditions".

I haven't seen one like this, at least for a US carrier, in the C of C.
Where did you see this? What airline?

I meant "I herwith accept the traiff and conditions" or so.

Regards, ULF
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Carlos A.

Hi.
Last summer I bought a return ticket with Iberia. London-Madrid-Vigo.
I used the London-Madrid-Vigo and the day of the return when I was at
the checking counter I notified my intention of using only the
Vigo-Madrid return leg.
No problem at all.

The problem is if you don't use the first leg the company cancel the
others legs.
Bye.
Carlos A.

I need to buy my daughter a one way ticket from Madrid to Amsterdam in
July. The one way fare on Iberia is about 8 times the round trip
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion .. I know that some US airlines have attempted to
crack down on that practice. I don't know if its been successful or
if Iberia would tolerate it. Thanks for any information.

--Michael in Chicago

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:36 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Carlos A." wrote in message
om...
Hi.
Last summer I bought a return ticket with Iberia. London-Madrid-Vigo.
I used the London-Madrid-Vigo and the day of the return when I was at
the checking counter I notified my intention of using only the
Vigo-Madrid return leg.
No problem at all.

The problem is if you don't use the first leg the company cancel the
others legs.
Bye.
Carlos A.

If not using the return leg is an accepted practice (not doubting it is)
then why do airlines charge so much more for one way fares?

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:10 PM
nobody

Mark Hewitt wrote:
If not using the return leg is an accepted practice (not doubting it is)
then why do airlines charge so much more for one way fares?

Because one way fares are assumed to be needed only by businessmen whose
travel is paid by highly profitable companies who don't mind spending
thousands of dollars. In exchange, that fare is highly flexible, fully
refundable, often gives you more FF points, and in certain airlines, gives you
access to better coach seats (UA for instance).

And in terms of "nesting", this isn't the issue. You are buying 2 separate
tickets but only using half of the tickets, and the tickets do not straddle
each other's dates. They are very different and separate.

And if you're really concerned, you can simply buy the return ticket (2nd
ticket) after you have landed in spain. You could argue that you have fallen
in love with a spanish girl and will stay a year instead of 2 weeks.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Ulf Kutzner

"Carlos A." schrieb:

Last summer I bought a return ticket with Iberia. London-Madrid-Vigo.
I used the London-Madrid-Vigo and the day of the return when I was at
the checking counter I notified my intention of using only the
Vigo-Madrid return leg.
No problem at all.

Might have been easier to buy an open jaw.

Regards, ULF
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Carlos A.

Ulf Kutzner wrote in message ...
"Carlos A." schrieb:

Last summer I bought a return ticket with Iberia. London-Madrid-Vigo.
I used the London-Madrid-Vigo and the day of the return when I was at
the checking counter I notified my intention of using only the
Vigo-Madrid return leg.
No problem at all.

Might have been easier to buy an open jaw.

Regards, ULF

Things were more complex. I live in Vigo and I went to London for
holidays.
First I bought a Vigo-London-Vigo (via Madrid) when I was in London I
had to come back to Vigo urgently.
Because I couldn't change the return date I had to buy a new ticket
London-Vigo (via Madrid, again) but as we know a return ticket is
cheaper than a one way.

In october I did the Vigo-Madrid and I spent a weekend in Madrid.
How I returned to Vigo from Madrid ? Since some months, Iberia sells
one-way cheap tickets for domestic flights.

So I used return tickets for one way, twice.

Carlos.
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:46 AM
devil

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:42:19 +0100, Ulf Kutzner wrote:

mtravelkay schrieb:

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

They have no right to charge your credit card automatically, unless you
agreed to it in advance.

You agree to lots of provisions in advance while paying by credit card.
See "small-printed conditions".

I haven't seen one like this, at least for a US carrier, in the C of C.
Where did you see this? What airline?

I meant "I herwith accept the traiff and conditions" or so.

That's not good enough. They'll need a paper which you signed with a
figure. The CC company is not a court of law, it won't get into deciding
which fine print might or might not apply.

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:47 AM
devil

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:20:38 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:

In article , nobody
wrote:
Not the Karl Orff wrote:
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion ..

No problem. YOu can even call the airline after the outbound leg to tell
them they can cancel the inbound portion (freeing up a seat for someone
else).

I'm not disagreeing with you - I assume this is correct. In fact, just
this advice is posted here frequently (like if you want to go on a really
long trip - say a year or so) - you buy 2 round trips.

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

Consensus, here? I don't think so. Only perhaps in the UK, where it
would seem consumers don't really have rights?