My first trip to Paris. Need advice please!

Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Having some actual people available would help.

Alas that's too much true...

The
French individuals that I encountered did their best to make things
work. The French machines were the worst interaction of a rigid
interaction of machines & bureaucracy that I have ever encountered.

Apart from the ticketing machines, which other hassles did you go
through?

Because if you consider tha situation on a slightly higher point than
your ticketing problem, RER is the fastest way to get to central Paris,
especially when A1 and A3 are packed with traffic, RER offers very
convenient transfers to the Metro, and given it's a railway, is
environment-friendly.

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Stanislas de Kertanguy wrote:

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Having some actual people available would help.

Alas that's too much true...

The
French individuals that I encountered did their best to make things
work. The French machines were the worst interaction of a rigid
interaction of machines & bureaucracy that I have ever encountered.

Apart from the ticketing machines, which other hassles did you go
through?

Because if you consider tha situation on a slightly higher point than
your ticketing problem, RER is the fastest way to get to central Paris,
especially when A1 and A3 are packed with traffic, RER offers very
convenient transfers to the Metro, and given it's a railway, is
environment-friendly.

The other problems had to do with transiting with luggage. First,
getting the luggage down to the platform. I now know how to do this at
CDG although I suspect that there isn't an easy way in the city. Then
the cars are regular RER cars with no luggage space, Finally, hauling
the luggage up once in town. I cannot reasonably blame the rain on RER
but it didn't help.

AS a transit system it works fine. For advising travelers I will stick
with van's in Paris. Or the Airport bus & Taxi perhaps.

Selfishly, after a night without sleep, I'm not into environment
friendly but inconvenient.

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

First,
getting the luggage down to the platform. I now know how to do this at
CDG although I suspect that there isn't an easy way in the city. Then
the cars are regular RER cars with no luggage space, Finally, hauling
the luggage up once in town. I cannot reasonably blame the rain on RER
but it didn't help.

Gare du Nord has lifts (though hidden), Châtelet les Halles has good
lifts but the station is a huge maze even for experienced Parisians,
Saint-Michel has only mechanical stairs and the street is hard to
access, Luxembourg - mechanical stairs, Port-Royal has lifts and so does
Denfert-Rochereau and Cité Universitaire. Those last 4 stations have
easy street access.

AS a transit system it works fine. For advising travelers I will stick
with van's in Paris. Or the Airport bus & Taxi perhaps.

Selfishly, after a night without sleep, I'm not into environment
friendly but inconvenient.

I tend not to realize what that may be to have bulks of luggage and
struggling around in the RER - that's because I travel very light and I
don't mind using traveler-unfriendly systems, but I can understand you
:-)
--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre