Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

On 16 Aug 2006 17:11:46 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 16 Aug 2006 01:40:52 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Carole Allen

and Europeans can travel between most countries without going through
any kind of passport control.

there's no place for common sense in this debate.

Plenty of common sense in the discussion. It's your ability to
comprehend that is at question.

You're all alone here. No one seems to wants to support your point of
view, because you are not making sense.

"No one"? You mean you and a couple of other US bashers who aren't
happy because I pointed out a rather glaring inconsistency in your
position.

I suspect you're a bit of a nutcase actually. None of us are US
bashers, and you haven't made a solid point yet.

The French speak English in the street,

Many do.

Many? Yes, maybe a whopping 1% speak some English in the street.

You should go to Paris again.

There goes your brain again. Paris does not equal France.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Gorazd Bozic

Tchiowa wrote:

Sorry, but while it may have been used in some circles, *common* usage
didn't happen until the Balkans came apart rather violently in the 90s.

People used it often well before the breakup of Yugoslavia. You and your
'circle' heard about it only recently, apparently.

Gorazd
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On 16 Aug 2006 17:16:06 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 15 Aug 2006 20:29:03 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 14 Aug 2006 18:09:13 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Jordi wrote:

snip
Nice one. How come you have such an odd view of Europe? Is it because
you are lying?

No, it's because I've been all over the world and have had the
opportunity to compare various cultures.

Oddly, so have I, plus many others reading this. Your view seems way
different to anyone elses here, suggesting you must be right, and
we're all wrong.

The Euro's opinion of themselves?

No. You're insistence on putting all "Euro's" together illustrates a
flaw in your thinking.

Which part do you disagree with? The fact that Europe is chopped up
into little political units because of a millenium of bigotry and war?

The use of the word 'bigotry' is just bizarre.

The fact the European economy is lagging far, far behind the US? The
fact that unemployment in most of Europe is roughly double what it is
in the US?

Your denial or reality doesn't make these facts go away.

My denial or reality? What the hell are you trying to say? Maybe you
are on crack or yaa baa or something.

Very bizzare response.

Yes, I find European history quite odd myself.

This is evidently why you don't seem to understand the European view
of things.

Oh, but I do. I just think it's a very odd view.

It doesn't appear so.

In what sense? 1.0 litre less of engine?, 4 less inches on a flat TV?
Having some real vacation weighs substantially more on overal quality
of life.

As do a lot of other things. Most Americans have "real" vacations and
most have more to spend on their vacations that Euros do.

That is meaningless, as you included "real", which could mean anything.

No, Jordi included "real". I quoted him.

Try to keep up.

Getting a bit defensive are we? I never aimed that one at you.

Then you should be careful where you embed your reply. You embedded it
following *my* statement, not anyone else's.

And it wasn't an attack. You are jumping at shadows.
--
---
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On 16 Aug 2006 17:21:14 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 15 Aug 2006 18:48:12 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On 14 Aug 2006 18:18:12 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Contrast this with Athens and Berlin. A tiny minority of the people have
shared fluency in any language.

Almost all speak English.

*chuckle*

You would be one of those ignorant yanks if you believe this!

A few years ago I commented to a friend of my in Angola about the
difficulty I had in France (I used to go there several times a year)
because I don't speak French and not all that many people spoke
English. He claimed that it was because many people have an attitude
like you just expressed (ignorant yank) abouit Americans.

At his suggestion I tried using Portuguese when I went to France (I had
learned that after several years in Angola). So I did. I'd speak to
someone in France using Portuguese and they would respond in French.
I'd try again in Portuguese and then they would shift to English as a
"neutral language".

I found that damn near everyone I met could speak English fairly well.

That's due to your limited experience, probably limited to touristy
areas.

No, mostly business. Sorry. You're wrong again.

I never said 'tourism', I said touristy areas, like Paris for example.

Clearly someone has never eaten Creole food and Philly Cheese Steaks.

Neither of those are as common as the humble Big Mac in the typical
diet.

Maybe in France you'd be right.

Not in the US.

Creole food and Philly Cheese Steaks are as common as Big Macs in the
US? I don't think so.
--
---
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

Many? Yes, maybe a whopping 1% speak some English in the street.

You should go to Paris again.

Now there's your problem. The assumption that the people in a
city like Paris are representative of the entire country. That
sort of dumb reasoning undermines everything you say.

but even people in *Paris* don't speak English in the street!
Why am I bothering to say that!
Its often remarked on here in UK, that French spokespersons are
the only ones not to use English when making international
announcements. If Tshower isnt just making it up, he must be
basing his opinion on asking for a beer in English on the Champs
Elyesse, getting served and drawing a nutty conclusion.
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

As I pointed out elsewhere, there were no passports until after
WW1.

Maybe not in the current sense, I'm sure ive seen a passport
signed by Elizabeth 1st. More a safe passage, I imagine.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

So the "More Europeans have passports than Americans" statement (which
is what this discussion is about) does not prove cultural superiority
but rather stems from a history of war and hatred.

I don't beleive the claim was made that the need for passports
proved cultural superority; I believe the calim was that
Europeans traveled more.

its also worth pointing out (for anybody who might be taken in by
this crap) that the reason north america is a small number of
political entities is not due to a lack of hatred and bigotry
(look at the KKK) but due to its recent creation by European
colonists, all the "empty" colonies like Australia are very large
compared to the european nation states that pioneered them, I
suppose due to UK getting the upper hand there for a time.
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

Tourist spots??? English is the primary and *official* language of
government for the EU.

So because memebrs of the EU bureacracy sometimes use English it
means almost all Europeans speak English? Your logic escapes
mmost of us.

according to the EU it has 20 official languages, soon to be 21,
and 30% of Europeans can hold a conversation in English. (dont
know at what level) Of course that 30% are the educated people.
Tshower should try going to a small town in Spain and seeing if
the garage mechanic, taxi driver or police can understand him :-)
In restaurants I hear mixed groups of educated europeans speaking
in mixed language without english taking priority. In a business
meeting english may well be used, (nobody is denying it is
becoming the world language). But spoken on the street in non
anglophone countries? Total bollox. In France the idea would be
heretical.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

The Reid wrote:

Following up to Hatunen

As I pointed out elsewhere, there were no passports until after
WW1.

Maybe not in the current sense, I'm sure ive seen a passport
signed by Elizabeth 1st. More a safe passage, I imagine.

Isn't this a passport?

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1...20passport.jpg
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:51:01 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Tchiowa writes:

You should go to Paris again.

The average Parisian speaks only a few words of English--certainly
nothing that can be considered useful for communication.

I've sampled Parisian's and found that 100% speak fluent english, mind
you I've never been so the sample is pretty much limited to the people
who've come to visit.

Jim.